BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2015 8:25:09 PM EDT
Take it for what it's worth...

SD8A3809-Edit.jpg by clicksully, on Flickr

I've been lucky enough to get my hands on both the MPX and the EVO3. Both are in 9mm with a (EVO) 7.72" barrel and (MPX) 8" barrel. I wouldn't say I did anything close to extensive testing on either platform. Just put some rounds through both and messed with the controls. Probably put about 150-200 rounds through each so basically this is a first impression review.

First, I can say that neither failed within that round count. Only thing I did prior to taking them out was strip them, cleaned the shipping oil off and then  applied Slip 2000 on them. Both are fitted with an Aimpoint T1.

Comfort goes to the MPX. Everything about it is very comfortable in both hands. It's just a pleasure to have in your hands. The EVO, on the other hand, isn't very comfortable. When shooting, the safety digs into your trigger finger and it just feels cheap. Not saying it's cheaply made. It's plastic and compared to the MPX, which is metal, it just doesn't feel solid.

Controls has to go to the MPX as well. If you like the AR15 platform, you will absolutely love the MPX. And everything is ambidextrous. EVO is too but the controls are a bit different then what you are used to. When pulling the bolt back on the EVO, I found my knuckle hitting the Aimpoints mount which would get a little annoying. MPX has an AR 15 type charging handle. Again, if you are familiar with the AR15 platform, you will feel right at home with the MPX. I think that's huge.

Accuracy will go to the EVO. This thing was extremely accurate. At 50 yards I had 3 shot, 1" group. That was off a bipod in prone. I didn't have the MPX in a bipod which may have cause the accuracy to not be as good but the best 3 shot group I had was 2-3" at 50 yards. In all fairness, the targets were moving in the wind too. A little. I still have to give accuracy to the EVO.

Trigger goes to the MPX. It's fast. Way nicer then the EVO. But both have decent triggers.

Cost goes to the EVO. Half the price of the MPX but you can feel the price difference in the quality of the firearm.

So here's my outcome so far. If money isn't the deciding factor, I would go with the MPX. It's like you've been using the platform already with the controls the same as an AR15. I was dinging an 8" steel plate at 50 yards pretty rapidly resting it on my platform. It feels like it's built to high standards. I like that.

If money is a factor, then the EVO will get you where you want without the high price tag. It's accurate and fun to shoot. I'm sure some mods and furniture can get this thing a little more comfortable to use.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you want an MPX...

My opinion? GO with a classic...

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I have both the EVO and MPX
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the magazine release is superior on the EVO.  And not just superior against the MPX, but superior to pretty much any rifle Ive ever fired.

I don't think it would be possible to design a release that is more natural than the EVO's.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the magazine release is superior on the EVO.  And not just superior against the MPX, but superior to pretty much any rifle Ive ever fired.

I don't think it would be possible to design a release that is more natural than the EVO's.
View Quote

This I don't get. I get it that your bias to the EVO considering your handle but you surely can't say that this is superior. That's a stretch
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This I don't get. I get it that your bias to the EVO considering your handle but you surely can't say that this is superior. That's a stretch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not sure how much more natural you can get than releasing the mag by grabbing it and pushing with your thumb?

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
my friend got his mpx friday, it got hot when it was shot alot, scorpion handles heat well but gloves would fix that or the cheese graters on evp , each seemed to have its own could be betters..... ie charging handle on mpx or trigger on evo.... etc. I thought both are pretty much equal when you count up the negatives only deciding factor would be price beyond controls.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Im not sure how much more natural you can get than releasing the mag by grabbing it and pushing with your thumb?

http://s30.postimg.org/nvzy012nl/DSC04449.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only thing better is eliminating the need to use the supporting hand to drop the mag. I get it. It would be stupid for you to like the MPX with the name czevo3
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Only thing better is eliminating the need to use the supporting hand to drop the mag. I get it. It would be stupid for you to like the MPX with the name czevo3
View Quote

I've fired all kinds of rifles and in my opinion the EVO has the superior magazine release design.  Other parts of it? Not so much.

You should really try not to let other peoples opinions get your jimmies so rustled - you know, like attacking something as silly as a screen name.  

I apologize if my fondness of the CZ Evo magazine release makes you upset.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've fired all kinds of rifles and in my opinion the EVO has the superior magazine release design.  Other parts of it? Not so much.

You should really try not to let other peoples opinions get your jimmies so rustled - you know, like attacking something as silly as a screen name.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not mad at ya. My tone wasn't meant to be negative.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By using your trigger finger to drop the mag... as you are already reaching for a new mag with the other hand. The thumb isn't used in that process.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The average shooter is not dumping mags on the ground.

They are taking the empty mag by hand and replacing it with a new one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#12]
The trigge finger mag drop can be done on the Evo also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

By using your trigger finger to drop the mag... as you are already reaching for a new mag with the other hand. The thumb isn't used in that process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are really going to let your $70 (if you can find any) MPX magazine drop free and hit the concrete?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You are really going to let your $70 (if you can find any) MPX magazine drop free and hit the concrete.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are really going to let your $70 (if you can find any) MPX magazine drop free and hit the concrete.

Mag cost goes to the EVO at under $20 apiece....
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

What about the rest of us that shoot matches and such?
You don't win matches by stripping mags with your offhand.

There's nothing new about a paddle style release, but the EVO improves on the paddle in that it's easier to actuate with your firing finger, and if you buff the witness lines on your mags they will drop free.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:20:52 AM EDT
[#16]
The price difference makes it really a silly comparison. We don't compare pistols or ARs that are this far apart price wise so why are we doing it now?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I much prefer the MPX mag release style. Your support hand has to only worry about grabbing a new mag.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The price difference makes it really a silly comparison. We don't compare pistols or ARs that are this far apart price wise so why are we doing it now?

View Quote
They are direct competitors. The PCC world is tiny compared to the rifle world.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've been lucky enough to get my hands on both the MPX and the EVO3. Both are in 9mm with a (EVO) 7.72" barrel and (MPX) 8" barrel. I wouldn't say I did anything close to extensive testing on either platform. Just put some rounds through both and messed with the controls. Probably put about 150-200 rounds through each so basically this is a first impression review.

First, I can say that neither failed within that round count. Only thing I did prior to taking them out was strip them, cleaned the shipping oil off and then  applied Slip 2000 on them. Both are fitted with an Aimpoint T1.

Comfort goes to the MPX. Everything about it is very comfortable in both hands. It's just a pleasure to have in your hands. The EVO, on the other hand, isn't very comfortable. When shooting, the safety digs into your trigger finger and it just feels cheap. Not saying it's cheaply made. It's plastic and compared to the MPX, which is metal, it just doesn't feel solid.

Controls has to go to the MPX as well. If you like the AR15 platform, you will absolutely love the MPX. And everything is ambidextrous. EVO is too but the controls are a bit different then what you are used to. When pulling the bolt back on the EVO, I found my knuckle hitting the Aimpoints mount which would get a little annoying. MPX has an AR 15 type charging handle. Again, if you are familiar with the AR15 platform, you will feel right at home with the MPX. I think that's huge.

Accuracy will go to the EVO. This thing was extremely accurate. At 50 yards I had 3 shot, 1" group. That was off a bipod in prone. I didn't have the MPX in a bipod which may have cause the accuracy to not be as good but the best 3 shot group I had was 2-3" at 50 yards. In all fairness, the targets were moving in the wind too. A little. I still have to give accuracy to the EVO.

Trigger goes to the MPX. It's fast. Way nicer then the EVO. But both have decent triggers.

Cost goes to the EVO. Half the price of the MPX but you can feel the price difference in the quality of the firearm.

So here's my outcome so far. If money isn't the deciding factor, I would go with the MPX. It's like you've been using the platform already with the controls the same as an AR15. I was dinging an 8" steel plate at 50 yards pretty rapidly resting it on my platform. It feels like it's built to high standards. I like that.

If money is a factor, then the EVO will get you where you want without the high price tag. It's accurate and fun to shoot. I'm sure some mods and furniture can get this thing a little more comfortable to use.
View Quote
Has does the recoil impulse compare between the two?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 How is this better than something as old as the AR?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's isn't much recoil as it is with a 9mm in that platform but I would say they were about the same. I didn't have both with me at the same time. I should have but really didn't think I was going to compare the two until I got flooded with this question. But both firearms were very light in recoil.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

So it's just a safe-queen, range toy-type gun, then, is it?

That's a bit tongue-in-cheek, and I realize if you're in a hurry you could fling the magazine out fairly quickly with your offhand and spend a tenth of a second more to get the new mag, fairly negligible, but you said anything more natural is impossible, and clearly this is demonstrably false.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Honestly, most issues of ergonomics are still matters of opinion.  Hell, there are still people out there that love AK ergos.

Whats important to me is the operating system. Ive shot all kinds of blowback guns.   Blowback is what it is.  The only real advantage the Sig has is its operating system.  Thats what has me, a true CZ fanboy, interested in this thing.  I want someone to do a side-by-side supression test.

If Sig didnt screw the pooch in the QA department, this might be a truly awesome little gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Honestly, most issues of ergonomics are still matters of opinion.  Hell, there are still people out there that love AK ergos.

Whats important to me is the operating system. Ive shot all kinds of blowback guns.   Blowback is what it is.  The only real advantage the Sig has is its operating system.  Thats what has me, a true CZ fanboy, interested in this thing.  I want someone to do a side-by-side supression test.

If Sig didnt screw the pooch in the QA department, this might be a truly awesome little gun.
View Quote

I'll be doing that soon as well.  These both will have dedicated suppressors on them.  Picture added to OP
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's a bit tongue-in-cheek, and I realize if you're in a hurry you could fling the magazine out fairly quickly with your offhand and spend a tenth of a second more to get the new mag, fairly negligible, but you said anything more natural is impossible, and clearly this is demonstrably false.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets not kid ourselves, unless we utilize our guns for our actual jobs all of them spend a majority of their time as "toys" (your words, not mine).

How about we try and keep the fantasies to a minimum if we are going to argue if something works well or not.

Here in reality I am not concerned if a mag change takes an extra quarter of a second.

Competition shooters might.

Soldiers across the sea might.

But I don't.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lets not kid ourselves, unless we utilize our guns for our actual jobs all of them spend a majority of their time as "toys" (your words, not mine).

How about we try and keep the fantasies to a minimum if we are going to argue if something works well or not.

Here in reality I am not concerned if a mag change takes an extra quarter of a second.

But I don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I don't.

Then your choice of words need to change. You said the mag release was "Superior". That's where the problem lies. And this thread really wasn't started for an argument. I own both platforms and like both. I've been asked by many to give my thoughts on the two. So I figured I would throw it up on this forum as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Its superior in my opinion.  

Its also easier for my wife and daughter to change mags with the EVO's setup.

Obligatory:

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey why don't you guys come meet me in VA and i'll be an impartial judge...i'll even supply the range and ammo! I'll even put up my PCC against them

Or you know you could just do the whole PCC's at dawn thing...

CZEVO3 The Dude Abides
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Did anyone read the original post? I own BOTH. I like BOTH. I've been asked to provide my input toward one or the other and why on another forum. Therefore, I posted this thread here for anyone who wanted to know certain aspects of each that I have encountered. I don't care if someone likes one or the other. This isn't a mine is better then yours thread but some sure like to turn things into that. I'm starting to remember why I don't post here. Not worth it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I can actuate the evo magazine release with my trigger finger while keeping my hand on the grip and the mag drops free. I still prefer the MPX/AR mag release setup, but that doesn't mean the EVO mag release isn't good as well. Despite the flared mag well on the mpx I feel that reloading a new magazine is smoother on the CZ than the SIG. If the angle isn't right on the MPX mag it feels like it's getting snagged in the mag well. I own both with an approved form 1 on the CZ and a draft submission on the SIG.

Other things I've noted between the two (without getting them to the range yet) is that the MPX is surprisingly heavier than I thought it would be. It feels good in the hand and the hand guard is just the right compromise in width for my hands. I tend to prefer slimmer forends, but the MPX fills my hand to about the max that I prefer before it starts feeling like an oversized quad rail. In comparison the CZ front end feels like a thin cheese grater that is begging for some kind of VFG. The other main difference is the smaller AR-style charging handle of the SIG, which I also hate on my 9mm AR SBR versus the MP5-ish charging handle of the CZ that I prefer. I feel that on a compact sub gun platform I don't want to be squished up with trying to rack the charging handle into my chin with my support hand, and I feel that the MPX's charging handle likes to bind up if you place any type of downward pressure on it. If it isn't riding directly up against the top of the receiver it gets bound up. I realize the it's the same manual of arms as the AR, but on a smaller platform I like to run a shorter stock and for me this isn't ideal. Both point well, the CZ feels a little more agile, but that could change once being fired, which is where I'm really curious to see if a difference can be felt between the blowback and piston designs. I think in addition to price, that is where the real difference will, or will not, be.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Did anyone read the original post? I own BOTH. I like BOTH. I've been asked to provide my input toward one or the other and why on another forum. Therefore, I posted this thread here for anyone who wanted to know certain aspects of each that I have encountered. I don't care if someone likes one or the other. This isn't a mine is better then yours thread but some sure like to turn things into that. I'm starting to remember why I don't post here. Not worth it.
View Quote

Your input is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are getting worked up over nothing.  You posted your opinion, other people posted theirs, but you are the only one getting riled up for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I can actuate the evo magazine release with my trigger finger while keeping my hand on the grip and the mag drops free. I still prefer the MPX/AR mag release setup, but that doesn't mean the EVO mag release isn't good as well. Despite the flared mag well on the mpx I feel that reloading a new magazine is smoother on the CZ than the SIG. If the angle isn't right on the MPX mag it feels like it's getting snagged in the mag well. I own both with an approved form 1 on the CZ and a draft submission on the SIG.

Other things I've noted between the two (without getting them to the range yet) is that the MPX is surprisingly heavier than I thought it would be. It feels good in the hand and the hand guard is just the right compromise in width for my hands. I tend to prefer slimmer forends, but the MPX fills my hand to about the max that I prefer before it starts feeling like an oversized quad rail. In comparison the CZ front end feels like a thin cheese grater that is begging for some kind of VFG. The other main difference is the smaller AR-style charging handle of the SIG, which I also hate on my 9mm AR SBR versus the MP5-ish charging handle of the CZ that I prefer. I feel that on a compact sub gun platform I don't want to be squished up with trying to rack the charging handle into my chin with my support hand, and I feel that the MPX's charging handle likes to bind up if you place any type of downward pressure on it. If it isn't riding directly up against the top of the receiver it gets bound up. I realize the it's the same manual of arms as the AR, but on a smaller platform I like to run a shorter stock and for me this isn't ideal. Both point well, the CZ feels a little more agile, but that could change once being fired, which is where I'm really curious to see if a difference can be felt between the blowback and piston designs. I think in addition to price, that is where the real difference will, or will not, be.
View Quote
Keep us posted after your range trip.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted: Your input is much appreciated.
View Quote

Agreed. Also, you take excellent pictures. Is that an LWRC grip on the EVO? How does it feel when gripping the CZ folded?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

You are really going to let your $70 (if you can find any) MPX magazine drop free and hit the concrete?

View Quote

I am talking about the EVO but it wouldn't matter either way. If a magazine can't take drops to the ground... then it needs tossed in the trash. These are real firearms.. not toys. I am not concerned with scratches or marks on any magazine I own and it's likely that the experienced shooters will "more naturally" be dropping mags with trigger finger and don't care either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You are getting worked up over nothing.  You posted your opinion, other people posted theirs, but you are the only one getting riled up for whatever reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you keep thinking I'm getting worked up or bothered by you?  Try reading my posts with a different tone
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Agreed. Also, you take excellent pictures. Is that an LWRC grip on the EVO? How does it feel when gripping the CZ folded?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Your input is much appreciated.

Hey thanks. It is the LWRC grip. It doesn't feel awkward but I like shooting the EVO better with it extended.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why do you keep thinking I'm getting worked up or bothered by you?  Try reading my posts with a different tone
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did read your original post, I thought it was well written and informative. I'm just poking a little man because you are being a little touchy on some of the replies . Offer is always open, and was serious by my by the way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I did read your original post, I thought it was well written and informative. I'm just poking a little man because you are being a little touchy on some of the replies . Offer is always open, and was serious by my by the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all good man and I guess you could take my replies in that sense but if you knew me, you would know I wasn't taking offense or being touchy. Sometimes, the Internet can be hard to come off a certain way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's related to my crazy "read things into your two word text message" ex gf's
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think he's related to my crazy "read things into your two word text message" ex gf's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#43]
IBTL -  some people just can't let it go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
IBTL -  some people just can't let it go.
View Quote

There's one guy being touchy in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Dsully,

Thanks for posting this, I have eye'd both for some time and this type of comparison by someone who has even had hands on both, much less owns both, is very informative even in its brevity.  Congrats and enjoy them!!!

V6
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I really like my MPX and I have zero interest in the EVO since I already have a blowback Lonewolf AR and HK clone.

The ease of barrel and handguard changes will make things even better once Sig gets caught up.

I put 100 rounds through the MPX suppressed with my handloads last weekend with zero problems. I'm sure the EVO is nice but it does nothing for me.    

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dsully,

Thanks for posting this, I have eye'd both for some time and this type of comparison by someone who has even had hands on both, much less owns both, is very informative even in its brevity.  Congrats and enjoy them!!!

V6
View Quote

Anytime man.  I'm glad I could be helpful
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#48]
thanks dsully, im currently looking into both of these options now so glad to see any comparisons at all
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll just make it easy on myself.  I will get both.  
Can't live forever.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'll just make it easy on myself.  I will get both.  
Can't live forever.
View Quote

Now you sound like me
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top