Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2015 2:52:52 PM EDT
I didn't want to thread jack, so I will ask for opinions in a new thread. I currently have a CMMG 9mm lower that I bought a while ago thinking it was the slim cut style. I am new to AR 9's. I also bought the two ASC Colt mags. Still haven't gotten an upper as the Sig brace sitting on it might not be my route for the future. I really like the slim profile receivers and am going to buy one. With Pmag making Glock mags now, does it make sense for me to get into the Glock platform?

I don't like Glocks and prefer XD's and others. But the Colt mags are basically one trick pony's where the Glock mags will at least be usable cross platform should I pick up a 17. I am considering the Colt lower/mags a sunk cost I might play with later so that doesn't weigh too heavily on my decision.

So my long winded question is: which style lower makes more sense in MY case? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
All about reliability .. Colt mags are the gold standard and there will be an ak9 out this year that will use them so not really a one trick pony anymore

I'm also an xd guy and I opted for the colt version. I personally don't like the way the glock mag lowers look to each there own though .

Also magpul mags have yet to be proven but I doubt they would release crap but you never know.

Really comes down to ur choice and there is no wrong answer.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All about reliability .. Colt mags are the gold standard and there will be an ak9 out this year that will use them so not really a one trick pony anymore

I'm also an xd guy and I opted for the colt version. I personally don't like the way the glock mag lowers look to each there own though .

Also magpul mags have yet to be proven but I doubt they would release crap but you never know.

Really comes down to ur choice and there is no wrong answer.
View Quote

That is the issue I am having. I also own a 50rd cheap-o Glock drum that would be mighty fun in AR SBR. Glad to see there are still a few of us XD guys around!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
X products makes a 50 round all aluminum colt drum mag. And they had a glock one at shot this year.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Late to the show but I too am a XD fan.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh.

I managed to break the first (and last) Magpul AR mag I ever bought, so I am less then impressed with their products.

I also have a Colt mag based AR platform and use the Metalform mags from Brownells. They  are a little pricey, but run great.

Modified Uzi mags will also work, and I wonder how the 9mm Tavor would work as well.. It seems to use Uzi based mags, like the Colt.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#6]
One thing ya gotta give to Metalform mags, they're like AK mags, heavy steel and overbuilt. My RRA 9mm has been 100% with them, and both Metalform 30 rounders and Glock factory 30 rounders cost the same. I know there's cheap knockoff Glock 30s but I tried a Korean Glock 30 rounder a few years ago in my G34 and when loaded to capacity it bulged in the middle and wouldn't run reliably with over 20 rounds. While it's nice to have rifle & pistol sharing the same mag my Beretta Storm has her own 30 round factory mags and the 15 & 17 round mags are left for pistol use.

I also have a Just Right Carbine in .45acp, runs reliably with modified Glock mags but unmodified mags tend to spit the round up too high and will get stuck on the upper edge of the chamber. I think the angle of the mag isn't identical to a Glock pistol. I know there's others who run AR Glock mag lowers reliably but dealing with this issue has kept me from looking at a Glock lower 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top