Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2015 8:40:40 PM EDT
Last week I noticed the Spike's Tactical 9mm Enhanced Magazine Block was back in stock (already own one). Last night I tried to order one, could not find it . This morning I gave them a call. The item has been removed from their site and will be DISCONTINUED, they have no more. They are switching to a 9mm -standalone- platform and "the blocks are no longer needed" (anything mentioned at SHOT?)

I have owned other brands (more and less $ than Spike's) and I LIKE the Spike's. Easy to adjust, goes in from the bottom and nothing to remove from the lower to install it. Hold is solid and never had any major issues with it. For a non-dedicated lower I think it is a great mag-block.

Which bring me to the next point. Spike's provided me with the contact information for a Company that MIGHT have some left in stock. I was going to give them a call but then realized, even with a lifetime warranty; what happens when/if  I have problems. I decided against it, and figured I would try to find someone that makes something similar (or maybe makes the blanks for Spike's?)

After hours of searching, I think I found an exact replacement. (DISCLAIMER: I am not associated with the company, nor do I know if they make/made anything for Spike's).

If you are looking for a Spike's block replacement (or maybe parts - I will call him on this after I receive the mag block) maybe we have another option:

ETA:

ETA2:

Spike's adapter (pics from a member here):

This is how the adapter works(http://gungrabbertactics.com/blog/category/gun-review/page/18/):

ETA3:

Tried everything out today (function check -with dummy rounds-, no actual firing).

For the Spikes lower, I could fit the top mag-block flush with the top portion of the lower receiver mag well channel and had no issues. I tried the same process with the AMMARMS and I could not get the mags to lock in. HOWEVER, I repositioned the AMM mag-block by pushing it all the way up with the upper installed and tightened the screws of the mag-block. Success, everything works without issues. Last round hold open works, and I could see no signs of anything being out of place or rubbing.

My mags are metalform (non colt branded)
Ramped bolt (thanks ADCO!)

So far, I RECOMMEND THIS MAG-BLOCK as a substitute for the Spikes Tactical. As always YMMV

ETA4: Over 400 rounds and runs like a well oiled machine...
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:20:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Wonder how good those are. Would be kind of neat to be able to shoot 9mm off my SBR lower without a permanent block.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
How does that one attach?  Friction, or the standard mag lock?  If standard mag lock, how does one drop mags?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does that one attach?  Friction, or the standard mag lock?  If standard mag lock, how does one drop mags?
View Quote

I got it, it is identical to the Spike's tactical. Friction lock, two screws (bottom of adapter, one in the front one in the rear). Total of three locking points, two in the front, one in the rear.

ETA: More pics/details added to OP.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:32:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I got it, it is identical to the Spike's tactical. Friction lock, two screws (bottom of adapter, one in the front one in the rear). Total of three locking points, two in the front, one in the rear.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it drops mags just like a 5.56 AR........easy peasy.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, good post. Please include an update on how the mag block works.

I have a Spikes 9mm block, and I use it with ASC 20 round magazines. When I installed my mag block and closed the bolt, the bolt (CMMG) scraped a tiny sliver off the top inside of the magazine feed lips. The mag block was at the right height, so I opened up the inside of each feed lip with a file very very slightly. After a few failures to feed  and eject with the first 10 rounds, it then ran fine.

I think that in addition to filing the magazines a bit, the the bolt had to cycle a bit to work in the brand new parts on the bolt, feed ramp, etc. Its been reliable in my limited use since then, and the bolt hold open works reliably.

A friend who tried my 9mm liked it, and if the mag block you have works, I'd steer them in that direction.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag for update. Leaning towards picking one up and I'd like to see how it compares to the spikes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the review.
It does indeed appear to be identical to the Spikes.
And at that price a steal.. I'll get one just to put away. Good find!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Gonna try one of these.

-Lee
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump, trying to keep it off the archives.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered one and received it shortly after.  Excellent service and appears to be a quality product.  I need to hit the range for a final verdict.

Wes
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]
has anyone used palmetto state's offering?

9mm AR block
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
has anyone used palmetto state's offering?

9mm AR block
View Quote

That is what I have in mine. I have not shot it yet. I will let you know when I do.

When installing it I have to tap it in to the mag well as it is a very tight fit. It does have the Last round Bolt hold Feature. I cycled a few Snap caps through it and it seems to feed and eject fine without any binding.
I am using a 10.5 Tactical Ambush Barrel, Tactical Ambush Mags and PSA Bolt on a Billet upper and lower.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Many thanks to Draco223 for posting this. He pushed me over the edge to build a 9mm upper with some leftover parts I had (how many AR builds start because of a few spare parts?)

The total price, with shipping, was about 95 bucks, and it arrived in three days. Outstanding. Today I installed it and modified an Uzi mag to fit. The only issue was some tightness of the magazine in the upper receiver, but I just shaved a little from some high points in the receiver and everything was GTG.

Can't speak to function, dummy rounds or live, because while RRA sent me my barrel, my bolt was nowhere to be found in the package. Nor was there a packing list, so hopefully it's being shipped separately.

When I modded the mag I used a caliper, ruler and a chart I found online. But I think I can do the next one just by inserting the mag all the way into the block and tracing the mag release slot.

Thanks again, Draco!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Many thanks to Draco223 for posting this. He pushed me over the edge to build a 9mm upper with some leftover parts I had (how many AR builds start because of a few spare parts?)

The total price, with shipping, was about 95 bucks, and it arrived in three days. Outstanding. Today I installed it and modified an Uzi mag to fit. The only issue was some tightness of the magazine in the upper receiver, but I just shaved a little from some high points in the receiver and everything was GTG.

Can't speak to function, dummy rounds or live, because while RRA sent me my barrel, my bolt was nowhere to be found in the package. Nor was there a packing list, so hopefully it's being shipped separately.

When I modded the mag I used a caliper, ruler and a chart I found online. But I think I can do the next one just by inserting the mag all the way into the block and tracing the mag release slot.

Thanks again, Draco!
View Quote

Glad it worked out!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]
you can still buy the spikes ones at 9mmar.com
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump, to keep it out of the archives and for 4th update
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Still getting questions from folks on this. Bumping before it makes it to the archives...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]
The AMM unit is very well done and the price is outstanding.  They have a few other really slick products available as well, like the upper receiver block.  I picked up several of their items a few days after the OP posted this thread and a couple days of email of exchanges with the owner.  I appreciate the heads up!

Wes
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice find!
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I just emailed the company as to when the mag blocks would be back in stock. The owner replied that he was closing the business and no more mag blocks would be made. Figures, looked like a nice product.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top