Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2015 10:51:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]

This gives men one that this is the explanation for why the one I ordered 6 months ago hasn't come in yet.  But all I can guess is that this will slow down their production pace even further.

Make more/faster before innovation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Barrel is still too short to thread :(
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

the front sight is threaded on.  Remove front sight, add your suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But what if I want... you know, sights with my suppressor?

Also wish they would have invested some engineering time into making it a side charger, and producing some viable way of folding it with the optics still mounted (ie, flip-to-side).
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
If it actually makes it to market below MSRP...I'll take one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, cosmetically I like the gen 2 looks better  but I'm more excited that this might drop the price of any unsold gen 1s. Ah, who an I kidding, there's no such thing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That and IF actually makes it to market in quantity.  The Hank Strange interview with the Kel-Tek guy had some weird release timeframe for this.  Something like when all the first gen ones were sold is when they would release the second gen version.  Not sure if they intend an artificial shortage of them or what.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice, I like it. I see no reason why an extension that replaces the muzzle nut couldn't be used. This would allow you to run a suppressor with the iron sights...
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice, I like it. I see no reason why an extension that replaces the muzzle nut couldn't be used. This would allow you to run a suppressor with the iron sights...
View Quote

Exactly...and I am sure they considered this if they put so much time into this update
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, I am one of those old guys who hangs on to his real Sub, the one, the only, the real metal one...Sub9.

I had two of the Sub2k's but just couldn't love them enough due to the compromises they made. Remember, the reason for the Sub2k was that the original Sub9 just cost too darn much to build.  Now we have come to the point where they have figured out how to build one for the right price while making vast  improvements in it and making it quicker to build.

I have regained my faith in Kel-Tec after seeing what they have done. Sure, some pick on the bottom charge  handle and such but honestly, I can cut them a little slack on that.

Now, don't forget to also learn more about the TWN Aero Survival Rifle......
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Also wish they would have invested some engineering time into making it a side charger, and producing some viable way of folding it with the optics still mounted (ie, flip-to-side).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can have BOTH.
Remove the front sight to install FH, or Can.
Install favorite folding AR front sight on top rail.
Rear sight is std AR height.
Profit.

And I do want one.
For Beretta mags.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I would like to have the Gen I or Gen II.  

A) you can't find them for a reasonable price.

B) you can't find them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Ill pick one up as a truck gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's awesome, if true. Where did your hear this?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I really hope the handguard is compatible with Gen 1 Sub 2000s, its too bad it took Kel Tec so long to come up with these simple updates.. I know KT said these should be out Q3 of this year, but as we've seen with other products it'll probably be much longer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  Barrel is still too short to thread :(
View Quote

Special order the Canadian 18" bbl version.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Are those mlok slots on the side?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OK, I am one of those old guys who hangs on to his real Sub, the one, the only, the real metal one...Sub9.

I had two of the Sub2k's but just couldn't love them enough due to the compromises they made. Remember, the reason for the Sub2k was that the original Sub9 just cost too darn much to build.  Now we have come to the point where they have figured out how to build one for the right price while making vast  improvements in it and making it quicker to build.

I have regained my faith in Kel-Tec after seeing what they have done. Sure, some pick on the bottom charge  handle and such but honestly, I can cut them a little slack on that.

Now, don't forget to also learn more about the TWN Aero Survival Rifle......
View Quote

I have two Sub-9s and wish I some of their rails would retrofit to my Sub, but alas, no luck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  I have two Sub-9s and wish I some of their rails would retrofit to my Sub, but alas, no luck.
View Quote

http://www.redlionprecision.com/default.asp
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heard it In this video from SHOT.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:47:04 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I have two Sub-9s and wish I some of their rails would retrofit to my Sub, but alas, no luck.

http://www.redlionprecision.com/default.asp

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I am glad to see they are updating the platform. I think I am going to start modding mine this year.

Always liked this one

Quoted:

B) you can't find them.
View Quote

They sure have gotten harder to find but not impossible. Think I paid 350 for my last one that was like new 2-3 years ago. I sent them a email explaining that I thought a non folding gun at the same price would sell great.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The changes are supposed to improve production time substantially. The new polymer mix and molds remove a considerable amount of flashing that had to be trimmed/cut-down on the Gen 1 Sub 2k.

Of course, you could just be a crumudgeon like me and actually have a metal Sub9 from the late 90's and stick with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This gives men one that this is the explanation for why the one I ordered 6 months ago hasn't come in yet.  But all I can guess is that this will slow down their production pace even further.  

The changes are supposed to improve production time substantially. The new polymer mix and molds remove a considerable amount of flashing that had to be trimmed/cut-down on the Gen 1 Sub 2k.

Of course, you could just be a crumudgeon like me and actually have a metal Sub9 from the late 90's and stick with that.
Show me where to get one for a non-stupid price,many I'd have the original any day.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Show me where to get one for a non-stupid price,many I'd have the original any day.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with this guy.
Seems due to the lack of supply the price inflated.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are in Kentucky? Did you give Knob Creek a call? I think I saw some down there last week when I was there...Not certain, but I know they did have some. Kenny isn't bad on his prices...not the cheapest but fair.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing is, Kel-Tec does not make any of the plastic components for their firearms. That's probably one of the biggest reasons why they can't keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am glad to see they are updating the platform. I think I am going to start modding mine this year.

Always liked this one
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/36310-2/sub2000_gemtech_8085.jpg

They sure have gotten harder to find but not impossible. Think I paid 350 for my last one that was like new 2-3 years ago. I sent them a email explaining that I thought a non folding gun at the same price would sell great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Always liked this one

Quoted:

B) you can't find them.

I wouldn't buy that. The main reason I would buy this is because it folds.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always liked this one

Quoted:

B) you can't find them.

I am sure many like the option however when you look at what is available there is a pretty big hole in that price point.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am sure many like the option however when you look at what is available there is a pretty big hole in that price point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always liked this one

Quoted:

B) you can't find them.

Maybe if they could offer a non-folding version for less money.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  Maybe if they could offer a non-folding version for less money.
View Quote

They can't keep up w/ the demand for the folding one as it is.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hopefully with the gen 2 it will be better. From what I have heard from them is that they will be able to double production with this new mold.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hopefully with the gen 2 it will be better. From what I have heard from them is that they will be able to double production with this new mold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their distribution model is one of the big problems, prices and availability would probably be better if they sold direct to dealers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Non-folding Sub-2k? Intriguing idea. The folding mechanism is great for some purposes, but causes problems with optics and the like. A one-piece receiver would presumably be a lot stronger than the current design, too, and maybe even lend itself to a side-charging setup.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Kel Tec defies the logic of capitalism. Of all the products they make, the SU2000 is one of the highest demanded, yet they haven't found a way to ramp up production in the last decade. One would think they would have found new suppliers, built new supply lines, even built new factories, and sold millions of these. But no, they did nothing. They could be one of the biggest gun mfgs in America by now, but it's as if they want to stay small. I don't get it, businesses are supposed to be motivated by money, not by their desire to stay the same.

Anyways, maybe they will be able to sell millions more of this new carbine. But one must ask the question of why they didn't focus on redesigning it sooner if this is why they weren't able to keep up before (because they didn't believe in the inefficient/build of the last one). The demand is relentless, and they could've even simply charged more.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Kel Tec defies the logic of capitalism. Of all the products they make, the SU2000 is one of the highest demanded, yet they haven't found a way to ramp up production in the last decade. One would think they would have found new suppliers, built new supply lines, even built new factories, and sold millions of these. But no, they did nothing. They could be one of the biggest gun mfgs in America by now, but it's as if they want to stay small. I don't get it, businesses are supposed to be motivated by money, not by their desire to stay the same.

Anyways, maybe they will be able to sell millions more of this new carbine. But one must ask the question of why they didn't focus on redesigning it sooner if this is why they weren't able to keep up before (because they didn't believe in the inefficient/build of the last one). The demand is relentless, and they could've even simply charged more.
View Quote

Well, they did build a new shop last year. Maybe you should stay up to date.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  Kel Tec defies the logic of capitalism. Of all the products they make, the SU2000 is one of the highest demanded, yet they haven't found a way to ramp up production in the last decade. One would think they would have found new suppliers, built new supply lines, even built new factories, and sold millions of these. But no, they did nothing. They could be one of the biggest gun mfgs in America by now, but it's as if they want to stay small. I don't get it, businesses are supposed to be motivated by money, not by their desire to stay the same.

View Quote

It's almost like gun manufacturers make terrible businessmen.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Their distribution model is one of the big problems, prices and availability would probably be better if they sold direct to dealers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than really small companies distributors are much easier to deal with. Why deal with several thousand stores instead of 10-20 distributors. Now if they only sold to one or two distributors that would be interesting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
They already are.

2012 handgun sales put Kel-Tec at number 9.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They already are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already are.

Having a new plant or being number 9 doesn't change the fact that they need a new business manager. It should be interesting to see if they've got their shit together this time around. Maybe the new plant and new design were just what the doctor ordered (but again, why did they wait a decade?). They didn't have to go in debt to build a new plant, they could've used investors. There should be selling as many Sub2k's as Remington sells 870's if they can actually build them first. I hope they do because I've been trying to find one for five years.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Sub2K's are easy to find, as long as you don't want to pay MSRP. If you had been willing to pay a premium 5 years ago you would have had it all this time and it would have only cost a few dollars per month for all that fun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Having a new plant or being number 9 doesn't change the fact that they need a new business manager. It should be interesting to see if they've got their shit together this time around. Maybe the new plant and new design were just what the doctor ordered (but again, why did they wait a decade?). They didn't have to go in debt to build a new plant, they could've used investors. There should be selling as many Sub2k's as Remington sells 870's if they can actually build them first. I hope they do because I've been trying to find one for five years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already are.

You come across as clueless to me. If they were to sell 1% as many sub2ks as 870's they would be lucky.

I wish they built more stuff but a company who is never in debt and sells everything they make every year without issue isn't one whose business plan I would badmouth. It took me a while to understand but sometimes people are happy just being successful rather than taking over a market.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#44]
They've managed to make it even uglier than it was before.  

<---- Has a Glock version Sub2000 somewhere in the back of the safe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:   They've managed to make it even uglier than it was before.  

View Quote

That needs to be in a backpack in the back of the truck.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Meh, I have some sort of pistol with me when I'm in the truck.  The pistol will fit in the lockbox when it needs to but I don't really have a way to secure the Sub2000 unless I put my Pacsafe around it.  While it's gone bang every time with everything I've fed it I just can't really get into it; I bought it on a whim and it never grew on me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Meh, I have some sort of pistol with me when I'm in the truck.  The pistol will fit in the lockbox when it needs to but I don't really have a way to secure the Sub2000 unless I put my Pacsafe around it.  While it's gone bang every time with everything I've fed it I just can't really get into it; I bought it on a whim and it never grew on me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has a lock built into it.  Fold it around a seat frame and lock it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?  It does?  I seem to recall it came with the manual and something else in the box but I can't recall what (or where that stuff is).  If it has another feature I'm genuinely curious as I didn't realize it.  Don't get me wrong, it's kinda cool in it's own way and I modded it a little bit* to better suite what I thought it should be but then I kinda lost interest in it.  It actually runs fine on the cheap Korean Glock 17 and 18 mags that CDNN was selling for like $5/each a while back too; I cleaned them up, swapped the springs out of two of them and swapped the Korean extended floor plates for factory Glock flat plates that stay in place better.      

*Cleaned all of the flashing off of it and out of the magwell, added a Tacticool buffer and tube cover, mounted the OEM spare mag holder (and cleaned it up so the mags went in and out like they should and without scratching up the mags), OEM buttstock extender/sight protector and the OEM sling (which loves to get twisted up), added a small section of rail to the side of the handguard for a flashlight and sprayed it OD Duracoat.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Huh?  It does?  I seem to recall it came with the manual and something else in the box but I can't recall what (or where that stuff is).  If it has another feature I'm genuinely curious as I didn't realize it.  Don't get me wrong, it's kinda cool in it's own way and I modded it a little bit* to better suite what I thought it should be but then I kinda lost interest in it.  It actually runs fine on the cheap Korean Glock 17 and 18 mags that CDNN was selling for like $5/each a while back too; I cleaned them up, swapped the springs out of two of them and swapped the Korean extended floor plates for factory Glock flat plates that stay in place better.      

*Cleaned all of the flashing off of it and out of the magwell, added a Tacticool buffer and tube cover, mounted the OEM spare mag holder (and cleaned it up so the mags went in and out like they should and without scratching up the mags), OEM buttstock extender/sight protector and the OEM sling (which loves to get twisted up), added a small section of rail to the side of the handguard for a flashlight and sprayed it OD Duracoat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  It has a lock built into it.  Fold it around a seat frame and lock it.

Should be a little brass key in the box.  Fold the gun up, and the little key will fit a lock, which will lock the barrel release slider.  It's not a traditional looking key - it's an offset rotating tool.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#50]
There is a lock on the Sub. It came with a little key you used to lock it folded. Simple little thing but it may met the legal requirements in some areas that says a firearm has to have a safety lock.  Look in your Sub2k owners manual back on page 9 or so where it shows how to unfold the barrel. It shows a picture and describes how to do this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top