Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2014 7:10:26 PM EDT
Before you flame me, yes, I did search, going back 30 days, but found no results.  

That said, there is a guy at the local gunshow offering these at a good price of $275.  I'm wanting to get one for home defense -- have a 12 gauge but wife is petite and hates shooting it -- for its lower recoil.  I know they're a pain to tear down for cleaning, but aside from that, are there any other real issues why I shouldn't own one?
Beside the fact that they're ugly as sin.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Get it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You are searching the wrong forum.  There is a pistol caliber carbine forum in the "Armory".  This forum is for pistol caliber ARs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a good price for a new one.  I got the .45 version used for $200 and so far it has been fun to shoot, although it is a bit ugly and clunky.   Also, it is finicky about ammo, only seems to like 230g fmj, everything else I've tried has ftf or fte problems.  I don't know if the 9mm version has similar issues.

IMAO these are pretty much point and click at likely home defense ranges, and minute of zombie out to 50 yards with a bit more attention to sight alignment, ymmv....
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi-Point for home defense........wow..........not me.......
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Get it, I have had a 9mm Hi Point carbine for 5 years, not a single ftf. I bet my life on it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Before you flame me, yes, I did search, going back 30 days, but found no results.  

That said, there is a guy at the local gunshow offering these at a good price of $275.  I'm wanting to get one for home defense -- have a 12 gauge but wife is petite and hates shooting it -- for its lower recoil.  I know they're a pain to tear down for cleaning, but aside from that, are there any other real issues why I shouldn't own one?
Beside the fact that they're ugly as sin.  

View Quote

I have five or six PCC's and I have a 995TS just because. A 995 was the first PCC I bought back in the late 1990's and it never gave me any drama, it just went bang with every trigger pull and was decently accurate. I have since collected PCC's that cost FAR more but I missed my old Hi-Point so I bought a new one a year or two ago. It too is very reliable and always works.

Good price?   995 Hi-Point...with free shipping
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Cabelas has brand new 9mm carbines for $289. Sale started yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
This kind of goes along the lines of buying a fine shotgun.  One of my worst mistakes was ever to purchase a Benelli!!!!  I was happy with my old 870 and 590.  They did whatever I wanted, never missed a beat, but lo and behold one day I bought a Benelli.........and it was all over.  What will the Benelli do that the 870 will not??  For the life of me I can't think of anything, but just the pleasure of owning and handling a fine shotgun just magically makes people fork over the money.  Guilty as charged!!

Doc
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:52:31 AM EDT
[#9]
The high point carbines (at least the older, non rail covered 995s) are quite accurate and fun little guns.

I've only seen two issues with them:

Dropping the magazines in sand/fine dirt quickly jams them up until you get them brushed out, at which point they work fine again.

They are blowback operated so light target loads will not reliably cycle them if you don't have a firm hold on them, all standard 115, 124 and 147gr factory ball I've tried has worked fine though.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Friend of mine has one and loves it, accurate and fairly cheap to shoot, not to mention the rifle itself is affordable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This kind of goes along the lines of buying a fine shotgun.  One of my worst mistakes was ever to purchase a Benelli!!!!  I was happy with my old 870 and 590.  They did whatever I wanted, never missed a beat, but lo and behold one day I bought a Benelli.........and it was all over.  What will the Benelli do that the 870 will not??  For the life of me I can't think of anything, but just the pleasure of owning and handling a fine shotgun just magically makes people fork over the money.  Guilty as charged!!

Doc
View Quote

I have fallen for that trap on many things, not just guns. You buy them just because you can "appreciate" them for their style, craftsmanship, etc. Then when you get them out they are just too nice to risk marring or scratching them. So, they may not get used. Never have that problem with a Hi-Point. Take that sucker out, throw it behind the seat of your truck and go. If you break it, they will fix it. If you run over it with the truck or tractor just buy another one for a couple of hundred bucks.

Mine have both worked 100% perfect. Never a moment of drama or stress with them.  Never think twice about buying one no matter what some may say.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heard they work. I've never heard anyone dislike hipoint for not working. They are just as ugly as rossie odonnell is the problem.  If they at least had a more generic/classic pistol look like gen3 smith/cz 75 ish sorta look I think a lot of us would have that beater hipoint.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:54:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get it, I have had a 9mm Hi Point carbine for 5 years, not a single ftf. I bet my life on it.
View Quote

The HP haters gonna hate. I had 2 guys take a hand class with their 45 HP's. The only issue they had with 500 rds each that day, was stopping to reload their mags.  When that price point is all one can afford, better than nothing. AND they work.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#14]
The .45" pistol & carbine can take an aftermarket mag catch, & then run stock 1911 mags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The .45" pistol & carbine can take an aftermarket mag catch, & then run stock 1911 mags.
View Quote

I've read a few threads on that aftermarket mag catch, they do work but one poster posted some pics of his aftermarket mag catch and it looked pretty chewed up. Poster claimed it stopped working or was having functional issues due to the material used. Maybe that's an isolated case but I'd do some more reading before considering that mod. But it's a great idea, I used to have a 955TS and kinda sorry I sold it, if I come across a 4595 at the right price I'd grab one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've heard they work. I've never heard anyone dislike hipoint for not working. They are just as ugly as rossie odonnell is the problem.  If they at least had a more generic/classic pistol look like gen3 smith/cz 75 ish sorta look I think a lot of us would have that beater hipoint.
View Quote

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I never thought too much about how the HP looked, but I really thought about how accurate and reliable it was. It was my first 9mm PCC and once spending time with it I became a big fan of all things PCC.

Its not a work of art but selling for about the price of a Ruger 10/22 with a "tactical" stock on it...well....its a bargain.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hi-Point for home defense........wow..........not me.......
View Quote

Oh boy! Another guy with an opinion pulled right out of his ass. Go shoot one.

My SIL has one. Ugly as homemade sin. Goofy as fuck with the spring loaded butt plate on a 9mm carbine.

Take to the range and it will crush a bad guy within 50 yards. 5 inches at 100 yards off a bench. Eats every thing we fed it and never a hiccup. It feeds, fires and never ceases to amaze me with it's reliability. Lead bullet reloads, jhp, and hardball all went right down range as one would like them to.

Dear God! It is ugly though. If I could get one and ATI still has that CX berretta clone stock to swap it out for the factory one available I would own one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#18]
got mine 4 yrs. ago at a Cabela's  NRA Excellent cond. factory box with all paperwork, tools. manual  3 mags. sling $110  their new ones were $275. I have fired thousands of rounds- not a bobble  with all types of ammo. 5 shot groups avg. 1" at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
got mine 4 yrs. ago at a Cabela's  NRA Excellent cond. factory box with all paperwork, tools. manual  3 mags. sling $110  their new ones were $275. I have fired thousands of rounds- not a bobble  with all types of ammo. 5 shot groups avg. 1" at 25 yards.
View Quote

But some would tell you its a POS.    I own one just because I missed my first PCC, an early edition 995 that I let go after I got a Beretta Storm. Missed the old 995 so when they were on sale at a LGS for $238 I got another one. Why not?  It always works perfectly and while they are not pretty to some, they WORK.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  Dear God! It is ugly though. If I could get one and ATI still has that CX berretta clone stock to swap it out for the factory one available I would own one.
View Quote

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=ZG&prodID=ZGA5101450&prodTitle=ATI%20Proline%20Stock%20for%20Hi%20Point%209mm%20Carbine

Buy it now - ATI has discontinued it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:30:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I love mine.  No issues so far.  The price isn't too bad.  If you have a local shop that orders in (or kitchen table ffl) check with them.  My guy who does not stock much ordered one with three spare mags a year ago and it was 275 Otd.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:  Dear God! It is ugly though. If I could get one and ATI still has that CX berretta clone stock to swap it out for the factory one available I would own one.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=ZG&prodID=ZGA5101450&prodTitle=ATI%20Proline%20Stock%20for%20Hi%20Point%209mm%20Carbine

Just FYI, unless something's changed the ATI Storm clone stocks were made for the first gen (non TS style) Hi Points with threaded bolts that went thru the receiver, when they made the TS stocks they dropped the threaded rods for rods with grooves in one end and a hinged C clip mounted on the stock. Receivers are the same but you'll need some of the old style threaded bolts if you're mounting a TS in an ATI stock. I picked up some aftermarket dress up bolts off eaby for cheap.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#23]
U can't go wrong. Get some kalishnakitty stickers for the stock.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Everybody I know that has them, loves them.  I'll prolly pick one up myself one day.  I'd like to get one in .45.  For the price, they're really hard to beat.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Brother in law has one - put a cheap red dot on it and loves it.
It is a ton of fun to shoot, eats any ammo reliably.
ONLY issue he has had is related to magazines.
For some reason certain mags that have the feed lips spread just a hair further out than others have been giving him feed problems.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#26]
My main problem with the carbines is the lack of magazine capacity. If they would just make them take a factory double stack magazine from another brand like Kel-Tec does with the Sub2K, then I'd probably own one. I'll just stick to the baby mags in my G26 if I'm only going to have 10+1 rounds, but even then the G18 mags work in it as well. They'd be a great contender  even if they made them with their own proprietary double stack mags
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I almost bought one a couple years ago when they were only $120.00, but I just couldn't get over the fact at how ugly they were. The new stocks are much better.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a proud owner of a 4595 and a JHP.  Mags are interchangeable. Both are accurate.  I have got some shit from range experts and gun snobs.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#29]

My son picked up a used one 5 or 6 years ago, loves it. Rides around in a truck of his car its dirty and starting to rust.

Went shooting last Saturday, using lead reloads we were shooting pistols, he pulls this ugly carbine out and starts shooting. Only stopping to reload we shoot 200 to 300 rounds.

After the afternoon was over told him, leave it with me and I will clean it. He said NO I have not cleaned it since I have owned it and want to see how bad it gets before I have problems.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I love mine.  Paid 150 for it and a ATI stock for 70. That being said I'm dropping 3k on MP5 clone this year, so it leaves a little to be desired.  Only problems I have had is making sure the bullets are tipped up the right way in the mag.  Like others said the feed lips are touchy.....

That 16 inch barrel really throws the 9's down range quick!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been wanting a PCC for years now. I just can't stomach the HiPoints though. It doesn't bother me that they are ugly or cheap--I own a Ruger P95 for God's sakes--it's that they are heavy and have poor quality/capacity magazines.

I keep waiting for the dern Sub2000 to magically become available, because it's about the same price, is lighter, uses Glock magazines, AND folds in half. And...that's the reason I don't own a PCC.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My son picked up a used one 5 or 6 years ago, loves it. Rides around in a truck of his car its dirty and starting to rust.

Went shooting last Saturday, using lead reloads we were shooting pistols, he pulls this ugly carbine out and starts shooting. Only stopping to reload we shoot 200 to 300 rounds.

After the afternoon was over told him, leave it with me and I will clean it. He said NO I have not cleaned it since I have owned it and want to see how bad it gets before I have problems.

View Quote

Never understood why people do that. If we know a clean gun works why not keep it that way? And if it's a truck gun (another thing I never understood why a car needs to be armed if your not in it) then usually people have it for the "just in case". Does he really wanna find out he had one too many trips to the range without cleaning it if the day comes that "just in case" actually happened? Seems like a whole Lotta flaws in that thinking.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#33]
In the era of sub-$500 AR's its getting harder and harder to think of a reason to buy a HiPoint carbine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Never understood why people do that. If we know a clean gun works why not keep it that way? And if it's a truck gun (another thing I never understood why a car needs to be armed if your not in it) then usually people have it for the "just in case". Does he really wanna find out he had one too many trips to the range without cleaning it if the day comes that "just in case" actually happened? Seems like a whole Lotta flaws in that thinking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  My son picked up a used one 5 or 6 years ago, loves it. Rides around in a truck of his car its dirty and starting to rust.

Let me know next time you leave your house, and I'll hold the guns in your safe for you b/c your house doesn't need to be armed if you're not home either.  

rgerh's son is doing an experiment.  That's when you try things that haven't been done before to see what the outcome will be.  rgerh never said his son was keeping the HiPoint just in case.  He's keeping it to see how bad it gets before he has problems.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#35]
The dirty HiPoint will probably go a LONG WAY if it is lubricated, and provided that it is exposed to no significant source of fouling other than the byproduct of firing.

That's the case with most guns really.

Most of them, if they will go 100 rounds, they will go 1000 rounds, without further attention so long as lubrication is present.

Usually, the "looser" the gun, the less attention to lubrication is needed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just FYI, unless something's changed the ATI Storm clone stocks were made for the first gen (non TS style) Hi Points with threaded bolts that went thru the receiver, when they made the TS stocks they dropped the threaded rods for rods with grooves in one end and a hinged C clip mounted on the stock. Receivers are the same but you'll need some of the old style threaded bolts if you're mounting a TS in an ATI stock. I picked up some aftermarket dress up bolts off eaby for cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just need to break out the dremel and do some custom work

There's really nothing wrong with Hipoint carbines.  They're a little crude, but I had one a while back.  First mag, had to ftf's, after that, zero issues for 1000 rounds.  I also didn't clean it during that period to see if it'd jam up.  Nope.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  Just need to break out the dremel and do some custom work

https://jurmondsarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/hpba2.jpg

There's really nothing wrong with Hipoint carbines.  They're a little crude, but I had one a while back.  First mag, had to ftf's, after that, zero issues for 1000 rounds.  I also didn't clean it during that period to see if it'd jam up.  Nope.
View Quote

Which stock is that, and how did you attach it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#38]
That folder looks identical to the one that came on my Century VZ 2008.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top