Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2014 9:34:40 AM EDT
recently picked up a Ruger Blackhawk conv. in .45acp & .45 colt. I'm reloading for .45acp but haven't bought dies for .45 colt yet. If I get into reloading .45 colt I'd like to have a rifle in this caliber as well, but most of those are lever guns, and while I have an old Winchester mod.94 in 30-30 I'm not looking for another lever gun. I did a quick search and came across the Taurus Thunderbolt which is a copy of the Colt Lightning, but they didn't sound too reliable and they're out of production. What I'd really like to find is just a single shot breech loader, I know H&R makes or made one in .44 mag but not in .45 colt. Also thought about the Taurus rifles based on the Judge .410/45 colt but I kinda have my reservations about having a cylinder that close to my face. Am I missing anything?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Well if you change your mind about a lever action I highly recommend the Hartford Arms 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine. Smooth as butter and nice and light.

Even my daughter likes it.

Yea , I know, Should have been wearing eye protection. We got her some shooting glasses before the next range visit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 considering a levergun - I have one in .454 that frankly sees a lot more .45 than 454 run thru it. But since you say you're looking for a single shot, I have one of these and can recommend it highly. The H&R 1871 "Buffalo Classic" in .45LC, and love the stupid thing:

I mounted a compact leupold 1-4X shotgun scope on it, and it's an amazingly versatile little carbine. Don't have a pic of mine, with the little scope on it, but it works well. From light cowboy loads for small stuff, up to more than a thousand ft/lbs from heavy loads, it can do a whole lot.

And I also think it's just pretty as all get out, as well...
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the H&R single shots, my dad bought an H&R single shot in 22-250 with a Simmons scope at a yard sale for cheap, didn't shoot it much as there's not much need for anything beyond 100 yards around here but always liked the rifle itself, a lot of rifle for the money. Looks like the .45 colt isn't made anymore, just the .45 colt/410 'survivor' which I don't care for. I'll keep an eye out for a Buffalo Shot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
How does .45 Colt shoot out of one of the .45/.410 guns?  Accurate or does it suffer from being a compromise?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does .45 Colt shoot out of one of the .45/.410 guns?  Accurate or does it suffer from being a compromise?
View Quote

I've got a 16" .45/.410 barrel for a T/C Contender.  To be honest, I'm not all that impressed.  At 50 yards from sandbags, I can shoot a group roughly half the size from my 4-5/8" Blackhawk as I can from the Contender.  And .410 patterns poorly, even with the choke tube screwed in to counter the rifling.  

I think a lot of the issue with shooting .45 through it has to do with the sights.  You have a bead front sight, and a small "U" rear sight.  It's more difficult to get a consistent sight picture vs. a traditional notch & post or a ghost ring.  I've heard other people complain about accuracy in the T/C .45/.410 barrels too.  

That being said, a straight .45 barrel in a Contender or Encore should work as well as any other large bore barrel in those guns.  I've had a couple of .44 Mag barrels, and they shoot well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Try a lever carbine with 16" bbl and large loop cocking lever.  It's like a different class of firearm.  And learn to spin cock!  Impress the babes!  Also consider a Mare's Leg pattern pistol - another different class of firearm.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If I ever come across a Rossi Ranch Hand in .45 Colt I'd consider that, it's different and weird and anything that makes me look like Steve McQueen is cool.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Love my Rossi 92 in .45 Colt.  16" barrel.  With handloaded "Ruger Only" loads, its a real thumper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top