Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 9:03:54 AM EDT
Where can I get a complete  9mm lower for a good price?  I have an upper, but it does not run with a standard lower.  Do I just simply need the "9mm hammer" to solve it?

Will the 9mm hammer run with a 5.56 upper?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
What upper do you have, and most importantly, which bolt?  Some 9x19mm bolts will run w/ standard hammers, some will not.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it is a RR bolt?  It definitely does not work with my standard DPMS hammer group-damn near locks the gun up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it is a RR bolt?  It definitely does not work with my standard DPMS hammer group-damn near locks the gun up.
View Quote

If it is a Rock River bolt that is NOT ramped....it would likely run better with a Rock River 9mm hammer. There are other options that you can make up yourself however. But, the RR 9mm hammer does best with the RR bolt.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Can OP not send off the bolt to be ramped?  Not necessarily cheap, but obviates the need for a fancy hammer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is the one on the top; it does appear to have a ramp.  

My hammer is the one on the right:

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]
TTT?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Correction-I do not have a "ramped bolt" but I am still having difficulty making it work.

Here is the picture of it.  I want to make this work.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Last time I checked ADCO was ramping bolts for $50 and the RRA 9mm hammer was $40, either should make it run but most agree the ramped bolt is better and your lower still works with other uppers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#9]
A regular DPMS style hammer will most likely make all your problems go away.

I don't think even a ramped bolt will help you with that hammer.  The notch on the face is what causes the problem. The DPMS hammer looks like the m16 hammer you have posted, but no little hook on the tail.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A regular DPMS style hammer will most likely make all your problems go away.

I don't think even a ramped bolt will help you with that hammer.  The notch on the face is what causes the problem. The DPMS hammer looks like the m16 hammer you have posted, but no little hook on the tail.
View Quote

THIS.... I have seen major reliability problem before solved by just changing that notched hammer out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:03:16 AM EDT
[#11]
CAn the hammer be rounded?  Or once it loses it's coating, the metal becomes too soft?

If I am going to buy a hammer, I want it to be one that will work with both 9mm and 5.56?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#12]
the notched hammers where in fact 'designed' to lock up a bolt.  Some kind of horse shit dreamed up back in the day to keep people from modifying their AR15s.  Swap it out for a rounded hammer and try the gun.  You may find it's all you need to do.  Then report back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top