Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2014 8:53:12 PM EDT
Hey guys, I really need some direction.  I want to get into the 9MM ar game, and don't really know where to start.  I wuld hope to get a little wisdom, and not have to pay for my education the hard way.  LOL

I am comfortable with building AR's, if that's the best way.  I have  a few questions, and any help is very much appreciated.  

Is it better to buy a built upper?  If so, where?  

Where do you get bolts/parts, should you need?

What magazine block is best?

Other than a buffer, what else needs to be changed in a lower?  Will Geissele triggers work?  

As far as ammo and mags, I at least know a bit, to know that Metalform is usually considered the best for mags.  What ammo is needed?  Will cheaper 115gr. ball usually run these guns?  

I am sorry for so many questions, I don't mind buying nice, rather than buying twice.  As for some of you guy's guns, what kind of accuracy are you getting, at say 50 yards?  Would that be the max range for these, to have acceptable power still, or shorter range?  I am just looking to get one of these for SD/HD, at CQB distances, but may use it for a pig, at close ranges.  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a colt 9mm ar and its a great shooter with iron sights. I upgraded the foregrip to magpul so I could add a lower rail. I reload so ammo is cheap. It very accurate at 50 yrds and its one of my favorite rifles.
Make sure you get a lula loader for your mags to save you thumb. Can't help you with build specs, I'm sure others can help.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the CMMG dedicated lower then found my 7" upper at jsesurplus, bought ASC and Metalform mags which all work flawlessly. Several friends have followed my advice of getting dedicated lowers from CMMG and different barrel lengths of uppers from JSE with the same results.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Mucho information to be had on the specialized Rimfire and Pistol Calibers Forum in the AR-15 tab at the far left of the banner strip.

Enjoy - an AR-15 in a pistol caliber and a PCC or a submachine gun in the same caliber are great companion guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top