Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 7:07:35 PM EDT
Hey guys, putting together my 10mm carbine.  Oly upper, Spikes lower.  What buffer should I be running in the thing?  This is my first pistol caliber build, sorry if it's a dumb question.  Did a search, didn't see much helpful.

-hd92
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Not so much information on the 10mm build as for others. There is a reason for that and you will figure that out soon enough.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Got this reply from Nolan at Oly today:

"We use a standard buffer weight and spring in the 10mm."

Good enough for me for starters.

-hd92
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got this reply from Nolan at Oly today:

"We use a standard buffer weight and spring in the 10mm."

Good enough for me for starters.

-hd92
View Quote

Forgot Oly...they do build one. Does Ron Williams still make these? His was gas operated if I recall.

As of the blow-back ones one would think with the 10mm you would need something a bit  heavier but...I don't know, just read that somewhere. The 10mm uppers just aren't that common compared to the .40 S&W I guess.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Mucho information to be had on the specialized Rimfire and Pistol Calibers Forum in the AR-15 tab at the far left of the banner strip.

Enjoy - an AR-15 in a pistol caliber and a PCC or a submachine gun in the same caliber are great companion guns.  Throw in a pistol or two as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 40 S&W SBR, I checked with Heavy Buffers and I am running a 45 buffer & Wolf extra power spring.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#6]
What mag are you gonna run? I've been messin with pistol caliber carbines for a few years and I wouldn't even contemplate running a 10mm blowback with a standard carbine buffer......
I run blowback on 9mm and 40 S&W but my 10mm is a DI as are all my .45's.......but Olympic mags won't work with the DI uppers......
I'm running my 10mm on a QuarterCircle10 large frame lower......blowback is all about getting the buffer tuned correctly where it won't beat you to death...or allow an out of battery discharge......I've been building guns for around 40 years.....and I'm just not really comfortable with a blowback 10mm
Here is a pic.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]
With the DI options now, forget blowback.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll run the polymer Olympic mag that came with the upper.  I've got standard, H, H2 and H3 buffers in my parts stash.  I know Slash has some heavier options too.

And sorry gents, blowback is all I got, so blowback it is.
-hd92
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll run the polymer Olympic mag that came with the upper.  I've got standard, H, H2 and H3 buffers in my parts stash.  I know Slash has some heavier options too.

And sorry gents, blowback is all I got, so blowback it is.
-hd92
View Quote

What ammo are you running? This makes a big difference. The factory Rem & such you can get away with a H3 & may want to look into a rifle length spring. The goal is to have your brass not eject into another county. If you cant find your brass she is opening way too early. This is why I built the first DI10mm. I had an oly. It would toss brass 20yrds & take out inocent bystanders.
Hope she works out for ya
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a metric crap load of CCI Blazer 10mm that I'll start with.  Decided to go with an XH carbine buffer and Wolff XP spring from HeavyBuffers for starters.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a metric crap load of CCI Blazer 10mm that I'll start with.  Decided to go with an XH carbine buffer and Wolff XP spring from HeavyBuffers for starters.
View Quote

That sounds perfect. The blazer seems to be hotter than the main line factory fodder.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#12]
double tap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top