Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2014 4:34:41 PM EDT
This is my second G17 Sub2K and it seems to run just like the original. I shot 200rds total which included 124gr. RWS FMJ, 147gr. Gold Dot HP and 115gr. UMC Remington HP ammo. Everything fed, fired and ejected perfectly. Accuracy was excellent with the Gold Dots getting the best group which was 1.5 to 2 inches at 25 yards.

This time around I did some upgrades I didn't do to my original Sub2K. First is the TK front fiber optic sight and aluminum adjustment screws. This sight was much nicer to shoot with than the factory front sight blade. In a thread over at Ktog I talk about how it's canted to far to the right and now I know why. Tightening down the adjustment screws even a little beyond just touching warps the plastic base walls. If I didn't do this though, the sight would easily move. My solution was to adjust it correctly and then fill every available space around the sight with black RTV after tightening the screws which included the middle one. It held up perfectly fine and never moved and is now perfectly centered. I'm not worried about readjusting it since it shot perfectly with 3 different ammo weights.

Second upgrade is the Tacticool tube and charging handle cover. This is a common upgrade and provides a much nicer cheek weld and gripping surface for the handle.

Third upgrade is the Aztac aluminum trigger. It has a more solid feel over the factory trigger and feels better due to the wider trigger face.

Fourth upgrade is a Magpul rail that I bolted to the factory forend. On it is a Surefire G2X-D held on with a GG&G 1" mount. I shot the Sub2K with the light on and everything is still nice and solid.

Fifth upgrade is the KT stock extension. Some people don't like it, but it works well for me and it hasn't moved a bit just like on my original Sub2K. You have to make sure to get it fully seated or it will slip off since not installed correctly.

That's it for the upgrades. I used 33rd. Glock factory Gen 3 & 4 magazines as well as a G17 Gen 4 Glock factory magazine. I have more G17 mags coming my way since I like the idea of having it folded and compact, but still have a fully loaded magazine ready to go. Overall I'm pleased that this Sub2K did not disappoint like my original.

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
How much did it run you if you don't mind me asking?

I love mine, I'd get a second if I could ever find one for a reasonable price.

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
$395+$25 transfer fee. Not the greatest price, but my original that I bought locally over 6 years ago cost $350 before tax so it's not too bad.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with all the upgrades you made ..... Havent tried a new trigger on mines though. Could definately use it though. I would also suggest Hogue grip because I was getting pinched by the pistol grip without it. For me the KT stock extension was not only more comfortable but it lined up better when folding the carbine in half. Yours looks good none the less!

My Glock 17 and Glock 22 models

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:55:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Good lookin' Subs.

I know the Hogue grip is popular, but I never got pinched on either Sub2K.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
How did you mount the Magpul rail? What's the length?  I've been thinking of doing that to my chrome G17 Sub.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Some more ideas for those who like sub2ks, this is mine.

Currently

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice.  I love my Sub2k.  I have the TK fiber front sight and it is way better than anything else I have tried.  Also really like the tacticool tube cover.  I used a piece of rubber from an old ink pen for my bolt handle and it works great and didn't cost me anything.

Love the KISS setup.  I used the KelTec rail on mine - goes on the bottom of the handguard at the front, and allows you to use standard picatinny accessories.  http://www.keltecweapons.com/sub-2000/sub-2000-accessories/picatinny-rail/
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did you mount the Magpul rail? What's the length?  I've been thinking of doing that to my chrome G17 Sub.
View Quote

I forget the slot number, but it's the longer Magpul rail. I cut a few notches off so I could still get a good grip and just lined up the holes, drilled through and attached the supplied nuts on the other side. It's stable and ain't going anywhere. I may even move the flashlight forward just a bit and attach a Magpul or clone (half the price) sling mount like this one here right behind it...

It would give a forward sling attachment and won't get in the way of the light activation button.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some more ideas for those who like sub2ks, this is mine.<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/user/blklizard1/media/IMG_0688.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm302/blklizard1/IMG_0688.jpg</a><a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/user/blklizard1/media/IMG_0694.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm302/blklizard1/IMG_0694.jpg</a>

Currently
<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/user/blklizard1/media/D4552B87-1DEE-4557-A4B8-85AD260E52D8-1116-0000006E1EDCD6B1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm302/blklizard1/D4552B87-1DEE-4557-A4B8-85AD260E52D8-1116-0000006E1EDCD6B1.jpg</a>

View Quote

KT should really go back to the Sub9 metal front sight.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Actually,  it would be nice if they could build the Sub9 again. I have an original and sold my Sub2K's as the Sub9 is in a different class. But again, it cost too much for the market to bear so they redesigned it to save money.

I am glad you guys enjoy playing with the Sub, but we are all different. Personally I like the little Sub as simple as it can be made. After all, it was built to be an inexpensive, lightweight, simple firearm. I see some people really loading them up with "accessories".  To each his own, but for me the best Sub is the basic, super simple, light as possible one. I have other PCC's for "accessorizing". I do have the buffer in mine and the stock tube cover and stock extension. Those items really improve the function without adding much in weight or complexity. Beyond that, mine has the factory (metal on the early Sub9) sights. It actually shoots quite well with the KT sights that were provided for that model.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually,  it would be nice if they could build the Sub9 again. I have an original and sold my Sub2K's as the Sub9 is in a different class. But again, it cost too much for the market to bear so they redesigned it to save money.

I am glad you guys enjoy playing with the Sub, but we are all different. Personally I like the little Sub as simple as it can be made. After all, it was built to be an inexpensive, lightweight, simple firearm. I see some people really loading them up with "accessories".  To each his own, but for me the best Sub is the basic, super simple, light as possible one. I have other PCC's for "accessorizing". I do have the buffer in mine and the stock tube cover and stock extension. Those items really improve the function without adding much in weight or complexity. Beyond that, mine has the factory (metal on the early Sub9) sights. It actually shoots quite well with the KT sights that were provided for that model.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As it is in my original post, it only weighs 4.5lbs which is 1/2lb over the factory weight. To me, mine is still simple with accessories that make it feel and work just a little better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top