Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2014 7:18:05 PM EDT
Looking at adding a 45 carbine. I love my 9mm ar pistol and I want to get a 45 carbine I can sbr and run a can on. So where do I start? Buy an ar in 45, wish I could find a ddles large frame lower. Or looking at the storm also I have always liked the gun but kinda don't like the 10 round mags. My only 45 is a FNX so mag compatibility isn't a huge deal. Glock mags would be a plus just to ease of finding. How are the jrc carbines? They look like a pain to clean. The kriss Abdul vector are too much money for me. Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Contrary to the prevailing ARFCOM mindset, I find the Olympic Arms .45 ACP AR-15 upper to be cromulent.  The mags, at about $45 each, are not cheap, but not any more expensive than mags for a Sig Sauer P220 . 45 ACP pistol.

I also have a 27A1 Thompson carbine.  The mag catch is modified to use WWII vintage mags that are relatively low cost.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The Olympic uppers have nothing inherently wrong with them.  They are very reliable and accurate.  It is only the fact that there are better alternatives available that makes them less than the best choice.  That sounds obvious but if nothing else existed there'd be nothing bad to say about them.  But, today, there are better alternatives.  DI uppers are lighter, cleaner, softer recoiling, safer, less expensive, and share more parts in common with standard 5.56 uppers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If one intends to use an AR upper for a full auto application, the Olympic system has a more round limited capacity magazine availability.  I believe the max capacity mag that is more or less readily doable for the Olympic system would be to weld an adapter to a current ProMag .45 ACP Uzi mag as used to be done with IMI .45 ACP Uzi mags.  The DI system using M3/M3A1 submachine gun mags is, of course, of higher round capacity.

As far as the cost, weight, recoil, degree of cleanliness, and so forth; those probably should be compared on a case by case basis and may include some degree of subjectivity.  For example, Winchester White Box .45 ACP is considerably more dirty than Federal American Eagle .45 ACP regardless of the firearm; but in any case, I personally (that is, subjectively) for the uppers I have, find it easier to clean the blowback Olympic .45 ACP or Colt style 9 mm systems than the DI 5.56 or 7.62X39 upper.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are going to SBR I'd go with a CNC AR45 lower, you can run the Olympic blowback or DI upper with no problems. Justin has also lowered the cost significantly. As far as the DI 45 upper....... I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have., and build you one when/if you decide to take that route. With the shop improvements we've made our delivery times even on custom builds has shrunk to well under two weeks.
I can also help you with any mods to an Olympic if you choose that route.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions about the platform.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I was looking for the same thing as you but I also wanted to be able to shoot 9X19 as well as .45 ACP. I went with the TNW ASR...

I have a 45 ACP conversion kit for it as well, but the barrel hasn't been chopped or threaded yet. The cool part is, the upper is the receiver so you only need 1 tax stamp for both calibers. Plus it takes Glock mags. With the SBR  tax, accessories, and 45 conversion kit I am only about $1,200 invested. Not too bad...
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]
How does that mag release work in practice...... Easy to adapt to from a standard AR?
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I would not over look the Just Right Carbine .45. Uses a lot of AR parts (FCG and furniture) and is priced fairly.  I have one in 9mm and am very happy with it. I also have one of the TNW  ASR which gives good service.  Both the JRC and the TNW can be converted from .45 to 9mm or .40 so they are pretty versatile. Both use the easy to find Glock magazines.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
How do the jrc and tnw do suppressed? That is a big factor to me. I looked at the jrc in 9mm but couldn't get passed the screws to take it down. That's why I went the ar route. I like the Glock mag idea the GG mags aren't really exciting me much. The Olympic and their mags are kind interesting. Ya they are high but I can run it on a normal lower so getting more bang for the buck on the sbr stamp.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do the jrc and tnw do suppressed? That is a big factor to me. I looked at the jrc in 9mm but couldn't get passed the screws to take it down. That's why I went the ar route. I like the Glock mag idea the GG mags aren't really exciting me much. The Olympic and their mags are kind interesting. Ya they are high but I can run it on a normal lower so getting more bang for the buck on the sbr stamp.
View Quote

I sort of smile when I hear someone pass on a JRC because you have to remove a couple of screws to take it down. I mean its like two or three Allen head screws and how often do you need to remove all of those parts? I think it takes all of 30-45 seconds to take a JRC down even with unscrewing the stock to remove the bolt.. And, for most cleanings you just lock the bolt  back and clean it through the ejection port.

The TNW ASR does use push pins like an AR so its pretty easy to get apart if turning a couple of screws is an issue. Also, you can buy a ASR pistol with a short barrel from the factory AND they will thread it for you if you ask. Just get your stamp and add the stock. What could be easier?

I have owned a few 9mm ARs and after shooting the JRC I sold both of the AR's. The JRC would shoot rings around the AR's.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't suppressed mine yet but they seem to do OK...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1SqSoSJOrk

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Contrary to the prevailing ARFCOM mindset, I find the Olympic Arms .45 ACP AR-15 upper to be cromulent.  The mags, at about $45 each, are not cheap, but not any more expensive than mags for a Sig Sauer P220 . 45 ACP pistol.

I also have a 27A1 Thompson carbine.  The mag catch is modified to use WWII vintage mags that are relatively low cost.

View Quote

If you ever are driving through Georgia......on the way to Florida perhaps.....stop by the shop on the way.............I'm about 400 yards off the interstate.
I'll let you test drive an Olympic and one of my Macon Armory uppers on identical lowers.......you be the judge.
The Olympic is a quality reliable upper......but the difference between the DI and the blowback is night and day.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]
You know......this all has a lot to do with budget.....how much $$$ do you want to spend on this toy?  If money is no object then you are a lucky guy and have all sorts of great choices out there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Cutting the barrel down GREATLY improves the look of this gun.  How integral is that perforated shroud to the function?

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, I recently wrestled with 45 cal SBR options. Instead of getting a AR style SBR for 45 cal, I went with the Kriss Vector SBR, mainly due to decent reviews of the platform and just wanting something a little different (I already have a stable of AR platform firearms in 556, 300 BLK, 545x39, and 762). Since the Vector uses Glock 21 mags, I already had a stash of mags for it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I went with the CX4 in .45.
It runs Cougar 8 round 8045 mags or with a conversion from Sierra Papa it also runs PX4 .45 10 round mags.
I like my CX4 Storms a lot.
Sierra Papa also has mag extensions for the 8045 mags to run 16 rounds.
They seem to have more stuff in the works.
Keep an eye on them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the storm a lot. Don't like the having to do all the USA compliant parts stuff to thread it. If it was a simple stamp and go I'd be on it. Budget well it it what it is. I like doing the ar stuff because I can buy good stuff as I go.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a JR carbine in .45, very accurate and the only issue I had was with misfeeding cause my factory mag didn't have the spring mod that JR recommends (basically just bending the top spring loop up to support the rear of the cartridge.). I also have a Beretta Storm carbine in 9mm, so I'd also recommend a .45 Storm as well, although 8045 mags are only 8 rounds. Sierra Papa makes a 15 or 16 extended round mag but it's $150. Cleaning the JR is pretty simple, a few more steps than my 9mm Rock River AR but still simple. The Storm is a much lighter & more compact package than the JR. The JR takes almost every accessory my other ARs have and has a much better trigger.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#18]
The only .45 carbine I had was a KRISS and was sorry to sell it. It was beyond accurate with iron sights and recoil was minimal. It worth it for me to spend the extra $$$ for it. You can find some good deals on them now. Get the pistol and apply for the sbr. That way you can still shoot and enjoy it until your approved.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Go big or go home

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#20]
That's sweet! I really wanted a USC bad thing is I don't want the hassle threading the barrel. Wish it was a simple sbr stamp and go
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's sweet! I really wanted a USC bad thing is I don't want the hassle threading the barrel. Wish it was a simple sbr stamp and go
View Quote

I got a new barrel. Installation is a breeze.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Doesn't it have to be made 922 compliant? If not if getting excited again!
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Doesn't it have to be made 922 compliant? If not if getting excited again!
View Quote

Barrel is US made. Check out HKPRO, they'll have all the info you'll need.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I really like my Grease Gun converted USC.  It is a ton of fun to shoot an super accurate too.  Waiting on my SBR stamp!

I also have a Ronald Williams DI AR upper on a CavArms polymer lower with the Grease Gun mag block.   It is great too and very soft on the recoil.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The only .45 carbine I had was a KRISS and was sorry to sell it. It was beyond accurate with iron sights and recoil was minimal. It worth it for me to spend the extra $$$ for it. You can find some good deals on them now. Get the pistol and apply for the sbr. That way you can still shoot and enjoy it until your approved.
View Quote

Kriss +1
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Kriss +1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kriss +1

My father-in-law has a Kriss and it is fun to shoot.  His is SBR with a can, but I have only shot it unsuppressed.  He has had a few trigger reset problems with it, but hasn't sent it back to Kriss for them to look at.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:17:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's my Ronald Williams DI45 upper on the CavArms lower with the Grease Gun mag block.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked up a KRISS VECTOR .45 for a decent price lightly used here in Tucson this week. Probably SBR it. Neat little toy.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here's my Ronald Williams DI45 upper on the CavArms lower with the Grease Gun mag block.

http://webpages.charter.net/deut30and11/Guns/DI_45.jpg
View Quote

Sweet rig

This has become my favorite 45. Compact & a blast to shoot DI45
Everyone loves running it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

OOOOH -- me like it!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Get a DI 45 upper. I got mine from Rudy at Macon armory. It's freakin sweet. I put it on my SBR lower and use my can on it. Fits under the rail. He'll build ya whatever you want. I've had it for a couple months now, still talk with him. Good guy, he'll take care of you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

OOOOH -- me like it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOOOH -- me like it!

A new iron in the fire DI45 int supressed
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm going to try and find a glock mag lower. If I can't well I don't know if I should go with one of the cav arms lowers I have or buy an ar45 lower? Pros to both save a little coin using what I have but I also don't know about the stamp an a plastic lower. Have to buy mags either way.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#34]
All are viable options.....and Quarter Circle should have some large frame lowers available in the next 30 to 60 days.....and CNC lowers are in stock ....(my personal favorite)
If budget is an issue......the Cav Arms from GWACS is a great option....I grab mine when I'm going to the swamp.........

Let me know if I can help you on an upper.....I have all the mentioned lowers in the shop and we test on all of them as well as the HK USC magwell adaptor we make in a standard lower.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOOOH -- me like it!

Do you make a .40 DI upper? I have an Octane on the way and already have an SBR lower. If so, what mags does it use?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you make a .40 DI upper? I have an Octane on the way and already have an SBR lower. If so, what mags does it use?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOOOH -- me like it!

Sure do. Been building them for over 4 years now. Here is one I built for a boarder patrol agent. DI40
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was looking for the same thing as you but I also wanted to be able to shoot 9X19 as well as .45 ACP. I went with the TNW ASR...

<a href="http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Mudd262/media/ASR_zps8b292df5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Mudd262/ASR_zps8b292df5.jpg</a>

I have a 45 ACP conversion kit for it as well, but the barrel hasn't been chopped or threaded yet. The cool part is, the upper is the receiver so you only need 1 tax stamp for both calibers. Plus it takes Glock mags. With the SBR  tax, accessories, and 45 conversion kit I am only about $1,200 invested. Not too bad...
View Quote

Dammit, man! You just cost me money!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#38]
There are numerous uppers you can get. I guess it just depends on budget.

If you have got a budget with a high cieling maybe just get a dedicated .45 Carbine like the KRISS Vector.

Personally, I have no money but really wanted a .45 Carbine, So I bought a Masterpiece Arms .45 carbine. The barrel was a bit long so after I got the proper paperwork filed I had a gunsmith friend cut the barrel down and put a forward grip on it along with a decent optic. It is a surprisingly accurate gun and the inherent weight of MAC really absorbs the recoil. It's the old world KRISS.  

It really depends on the kind of money you want to spend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top