Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2014 2:30:54 PM EDT
The number of these firearms produced thus far is so low that we should consider any question a Frequently Asked Question.  

Until TNW's site includes this sort of info, this will be our database.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey DocNugent, I have a question:

What's involved in swapping the direction the safety moves?

It seems backwards to me, perhaps because I heard it was designed by a left-handed engineer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
And I have another question:

The ASR/ASP barrels are sold with the barrel nut installed because as their tech says, ". . . it's kind of a pain to get that barrel nut off."

How do you get the barrel nut off the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The ASR/ASP barrels are sold with the barrel nut installed because as their tech says, ". . . it's kind of a pain to get that barrel nut off."

View Quote

When I get back from my little Easter jaunt up to Ohio and have my ASR in front of me I can answer that. From memory there is a snap ringy thingy up in there that holds the nut on. Unusually these are much easier to snap together than they are to take back apart.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey DocNugent, I have a question:

What's involved in swapping the direction the safety moves?

It seems backwards to me, perhaps because I heard it was designed by a left-handed engineer.
View Quote

Backwards to one is forward to another.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what holds the barrel nut on. Like I said before, its lots easier to get the thing put together than it is to take it back apart. You have to get up inside the barrel nut and spread this clip out to remove the barrel nut. Putting it on you just push it over the barrel and into place.

Clip for barrel nut
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is what holds the barrel nut on. . . . You have to get up inside the barrel nut and spread this clip out to remove the barrel nut. Putting it on you just push it over the barrel and into place.
View Quote

Thanks.  That's worse than I expected.  If the clip was the kind that has holes in the ends, I have a tool to remove those pretty easily.  The kind they use, though, just squirt around the groove whenever you try to spread the ends. Given that, the extra $35 for a barrel nut and clip already installed is probably worth it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually I can get them off without too much trouble, but....I was a automotive technical trainer for many years and taught people how to do tricky stuff like that...oh...and I have some pretty cool tools for this sort of thing too.  

I put the barrel in my parrot head vice to hold it steady and use two little hooked tools (and years of  practice) to go end and spread that sucker out. I have had to do much worse jobs! But, No, without the little tools and practice it is probably difficult for an average person to do.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks.  That's worse than I expected.  If the clip was the kind that has holes in the ends, I have a tool to remove those pretty easily.  The kind they use, though, just squirt around the groove whenever you try to spread the ends. Given that, the extra $35 for a barrel nut and clip already installed is probably worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what holds the barrel nut on. . . . You have to get up inside the barrel nut and spread this clip out to remove the barrel nut. Putting it on you just push it over the barrel and into place.

I've done with two screwdrivers and a little patience. It's really not that hard. Also, if it bothers you that much you can just not put it on as the barrel doesn't have to have the barrel nut retained in order to tighten it up...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The spring clip just keeps the nut on the barrel when the rifle is apart. As the PP said, you don't have to put the clip  back on if you don't want to anyway.
I have a couple of little hooked tools made for this sort of thing. You could take a couple of those small pocket screw drivers everyone gives away with their names on them and use them,. If you hook the ends a bit then use two of them you can pull open the clip and slide it off. It helps to have the barrel clamped down while doing this. Of course Snap-On tools will sell you the special tools to do this job (and it might be cheaper to buy a spare barrel  ).

Again, it can be done with small screw drivers, just much easier with the right tools.  It all depends on how "handy" you are. Try it and see....you might have "the touch" for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top