Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 5:03:04 PM EDT
As promised in another post I got to exchange ideas with the designer of the TNW ASR carbine today.  We chatted at Knob Creek at the machine gun shoot and talked about what was in the works and what should be on their list of things to bring out.  Here is some of what we spoke of:

1) The .22 and .22 Magnum kits are coming. They have the sample production parts and are doing the final testing. As I reported last fall they are going with the Remington 597 magazines. Several reasons for this, all good ones.  They are commonly available and come in high capacity models. The mag is sized right that they can just use an insert into the normal ASR lower so you don't have to buy a complete lower assembly just to do a conversion. You will just need to buy the barrel and bolt assembly (and some magazines) to do the change over. GREAT!

2) I asked about the hand guard that some have mentioned and that I had promised I would pursue with them. They have been looking at this and we talked about the complexity of doing this as you have to locate it properly on a nut that holds in the barrel but doesn't index.  They told me they have more accessories coming and that they are working on the hand guard. (No promise on dates).

3) Threaded barrels are now available. You can buy the gun with the threaded barrel or if you already have a barrel you can send it in and have it done by them. They have the machining setups for it now.

They have now made over 2,000 of these things so we are starting to see a bigger base out there. The more their are, the more likely we are to see additional accessories. One thing was made clear...if there is something you want for the ASR,.....WRITE OR CALL and let them know! The more they hear requested the more likely to get what you want.

If you have never handled one of these little carbines you don't know what you are missing. Light and compact they have that special something. You may have seen the pictures of the one the poster SBR'ed. Nice piece!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll try calling again and ask for different lowers that will accept other brands of mags like Beretta, CZ, HK, etc.  That would expand their customer base drastically for very little investment.  Not that I know anything about mag well design and functioning....
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll try calling again and ask for different lowers that will accept other brands of mags like Beretta, CZ, HK, etc.  That would expand their customer base drastically for very little investment.  Not that I know anything about mag well design and functioning....
View Quote

While you have them on the phone ask about a hand guard. That is on their list and if they hear enough people wanting them......more likely to see them. The way the lower is made it would not be too difficult to make one for different magazines.  It appears the issues with this is how many they can sell. I know JRC said they would make a lower for you for a different magazines if you would order 600 of them to cover the design and set-up costs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Not really "news", but I emailed TNW for info on 9mm +P and +P+ ammo and Glock mags, and this was their response:
1. We've tested up to 9mm +P+, the gun fires it excellently
2. We have not found any 9mm that is particularly problematic
3. Gen 3 and up are recommended, below that the mags might work but we designed the gun for later gen's
- source: TNWFirearmstech@...
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The early model ASR's were tested using steel case ammo. Some of them had problem with some brass ammo. They made changes to the bolt and extractor on the newer ones to help with this.

I had never asked about the +P stuff however as I don't use it. But, its nice to know. The gun is pretty robust so I wouldn't have any worries. That receiver is grossly over built so as long as the buffer and spring are good it should handle most anything. After all, the same rifle is available in a .40 cal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
MAGAZINES INCLUDED FROM FACTORY

I thought a new ASR/ASP came with one 15 and one 33 round magazine, but my new ASP arrived with only one 17 round KCI mag.  Not a deal breaker for me, but disappointing.

I sincerely wish someone at TNW was accountable for adding basic specs info to their website and then keeping up with changes in what's included as they occur . . . .

On a positive note, the front and rear sights, buffer tube sling loop, and under-receiver rail (with screws and allen wrench) are still included, as was that cute little 8" barrel assembly.  And the factory-fired casing was in the pistol grip!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My ASR came with ONE Korean G-19 mag.  

I have Korean 33 round mags that I use but I bought them seperately. They are Korean and work. Well, some of the Korean 33's work. I put Wolff springs in some and that was a big improvement. I have some that work just great and another batch that is hit or miss at best. Of course real Glock OEM mags (Gen-3 or above) always seem to work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine also came with just one 15-round Korean mag.  So far it has worked with everything I've put into it (Korean and Glcok factory).  Admittedly I don't have all that many rounds through it.

I agree, though, about the changing specs.  Mine is a low 200's serial number.  When I bought mine, they web page said the rifles came with a low power scope.  Mine didn't have one.  My dealer called them for me and was told they weren't doing that any more, but would send me one anyway (and they did...an Aim Sports compact 4x).
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine also came with just one 15-round Korean mag.  So far it has worked with everything I've put into it (Korean and Glcok factory).  Admittedly I don't have all that many rounds through it.

I agree, though, about the changing specs. Mine is a low 200's serial number. When I bought mine, they web page said the rifles came with a low power scope.  Mine didn't have one.  My dealer called them for me and was told they weren't doing that any more, but would send me one anyway (and they did...an Aim Sports compact 4x).
View Quote

Mine is a Sub 200 serial number!  When I first saw these were coming I put my name on the list and got one. I am a big fan of 9mm PCC's.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mine is a Sub 200 serial number!  When I first saw these were coming I put my name on the list and got one. I am a big fan of 9mm PCC's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. . . Mine is a low 200's serial number. . . . .

Mine is well over 1000 - I'm hoping they've ironed all the bugs out by this point!

BTW, I asked why my ASP has a serial number that begins ASR######, and I was told there is no separate numbering for ASPs.  In fact, they refer to an ASP internally as an 'ASR Pistol' (that's right, an Aero Survival Rifle Pistol).
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The receives are the same for rifle or pistol, its just the barrel and (lack of) stock that make them different. If I understand the rules you can put a rifle stock and barrel on your pistol and make it into a normal rifle and then switch it back and forth. Just don't do the short barrel with the full stock unless you it registered as an SBR.

They told me they were well past number 2000 and maybe up to 3,000 now. That's a good thing as now they have enough customer base out there and are working on accessories for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top