Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2014 4:29:52 PM EDT
I took my new Beretta CX-4 Storm out to the range today for the first time, and I'm very happy with the purchase.

It is not obvious from the pic, but I set the rifle up for left side ejection, and left handed safety operation.

I got it last week from Bud's. It's in 9mm and configured to use Beretta 92 (M-9) magazines. With me I had the two original 15 round mags, plus four Mec-Gar 20 rounders. All worked just fine but I like the longer Mec-Gars a bit better, because they are easier to fully seat, since the base isn't recessed as much in the bottom of the pistol grip.

The gun digested 255 rounds without a hitch: 100 Federal 115 grain FMJ bulk pack, 145 Brown Bear (lacquered steel case) 115 FMJ, and 10 American Eagle 147 grain FMJ-FP loads. I shot at 50 yards and from the bench, I'm able to keep my group inside the black of an SR-1 target. The short sight radius and heavy trigger pull limit how precise you can shoot, IMO. Also, last night I opened up the apertures on the rear sight so that they now provide a ghost ring sight picture. The original factory apertures might tighten my groups a little but they are too small for anything other than target shooting, again IMO.

(I pulled the IDPA target out of the trash to use as a cleaning mat. I didn't shoot it.)

Aside from the trigger it's a real pleasure to shoot. I'll do the hammer mod to reduce the trigger pull but didn't want to tinker with the gun's innards before I tested it.

After I got home I ordered a Bushnell TRS-25 to go on the Storm. I also have a light mount, rail mount sling loop, and tactical sling on order. Overall, I am very happy with the Storm and look forward to shooting it a lot more.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a 92 mag storm a few months ago it has been a hoot.. it eats steel wolf all day and shoot one big ragged hole at 50 meters it also seems to really like the 50 rounds of hornady HP's I put through it.

How hard is it to change the mag release to left side operation
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not too difficult to change the mag release or safety. You need needlenose pliers and a flat bladed screwdriver. Go on Youtube and search for "reverse cx4 storm safety." Youtube user "Permaculture" has a couple videos. I am on my iPad or I'd link them directly.

My TRS-25 arrived today and I got it mounted. This thing is going to be sweet with the RDS.

Edit: I'm on my computer now, so here's the how-to videos for reversing the safety and mag catch:

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Tempted to buy one at Buds since it is an awesome price. My problem is I'm waiting for MKE to start selling their Mp5 clones again. Then again this is about 1/2 price. Decisions.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tempted to buy one at Buds since it is an awesome price. My problem is I'm waiting for MKE to start selling their Mp5 clones again. Then again this is about 1/2 price. Decisions.
View Quote

Don't wait...grab one of these while you can at a decent price. The MP5 might look cool....but you pay a lot for a cool look. The CX-4 is one fine reliable, accurate firearm.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
+1. Also, the Storm has better ergonomics than the MP5, and I say that as someone who likes HKs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my CX4 as well. Strangely, I don't mind the factory trigger. It is not a good "target trigger" but I find it very suited for placing multiple rounds on close-in targets while doing a run-and-gun type drill. I don't know how to describe it, just something about the rhythm of the press/reset/repeat while on an adrenaline rush makes this trigger work for me.

EDA- +1 on the ergonomics. While the gun itself is dog-butt ugly, once you get your grip through the thumbhole stock the whole gun locks solidly along the arm. Also there are very few areas that can snag on stuff. It also has a shorter OAL (and lighter) than most SBRs without the NFA hastle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I love mine.  Accurate, easy to handle, and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love my CX4 as well. Strangely, I don't mind the factory trigger. It is not a good "target trigger" but I find it very suited for placing multiple rounds on close-in targets while doing a run-and-gun type drill. I don't know how to describe it, just something about the rhythm of the press/reset/repeat while on an adrenaline rush makes this trigger work for me.

EDA- +1 on the ergonomics. While the gun itself is dog-butt ugly, once you get your grip through the thumbhole stock the whole gun locks solidly along the arm. Also there are very few areas that can snag on stuff. It also has a shorter OAL (and lighter) than most SBRs without the NFA hastle.
View Quote

The triggers will vary on these. Also, they will "break in" to some extent as they are used, much like many firearms. The DIY trigger job sort of speeds up this process. I have never replaced my factory trigger with the SP unit as I have no issues with it now.

As for "ugly", beauty is in the eye of the holder. I have always liked the looks of this racy Italian sweetheart. Smooth and flowing, form follows function thing. And you are correct. With the magazine well inside the grip the package is very compact and the rifle seems very small, especially if you pick it up next to something like a 9mm AR. The 9mm AR just seems gigantic next to it. The CX-4 feels more like a pistol with a little longer barrel.

If you have never held one, its worth trying if you get the change.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love mine.  Accurate, easy to handle, and fun to shoot.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I took my px4 out today. Everyone remarked on how much kick there was, and of course the trigger.
After 150 rounds the trigger had greatly improved. As previously mentioned I will hold off on any mods until I decide whether I want to send her to Sierra Papa for a mag system swap(px4 to cx4). I have about six of the 20 rounders presently.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one and love it but I did have the trigger work done by Sierra Papa.  Huge difference for me and I really enjoy shooting this little rifle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a CX4 from buds earlier this week. I haven't got to shoot it yet but am hoping to give it some range time this weekend. I do love how it feels, and I think I got lucky on the trigger, with snap caps mine seems pretty good, not mushy or creepy and not heavy at all!
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just got a CX4 from buds earlier this week. I haven't got to shoot it yet but am hoping to give it some range time this weekend. I do love how it feels, and I think I got lucky on the trigger, with snap caps mine seems pretty good, not mushy or creepy and not heavy at all!
View Quote

I shot mine today.  Gratz on that purchase, or should I say "Welcome aboard the Galactica"

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's not too difficult to change the mag release or safety. You need needlenose pliers and a flat bladed screwdriver. Go on Youtube and search for "reverse cx4 storm safety." Youtube user "Permaculture" has a couple videos. I am on my iPad or I'd link them directly.

My TRS-25 arrived today and I got it mounted. This thing is going to be sweet with the RDS.

Edit: I'm on my computer now, so here's the how-to videos for reversing the safety and mag catch:

http://youtu.be/Kv1eQVzgfLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA9BGC_agBs

View Quote

Appreciate the videos, I switched my mag release to left handed operation last night. I have mine set up for right side ejection and I shoot right handed but the mag release is way easier for me to operate set for left handed use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top