Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2014 11:01:25 AM EDT
Has anyone here ever Tac'd out a Thompson or Thompson knock-off. I have a Volunteer Arms that just doesn't fit me and screams "project gun". Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
A few months back I posted a photo of such "Tact'd  Out Thompson" that I have, and for doing so I was verbally excoriated and villified. The sort of "discussion" one would more or less expect to see on the GD forum, and hope not to see in a Technical Forum.  So as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of those who were so greatly put off by the so-modified firearm, I took down the photo and have no intention of re-posting.

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The weapon I have is not an actual Thompson, so there's no collector's value to it. To me, it's no different than modifying an AK or AR15. If anyone doesn't like what I do with my own legally purchased and legally owned firearm, they can piss off. I wish I'd seen your Tac'd-out Thompson. There are very few pics of them on the internet and most are just drawings or airsoft guns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Know a local FFL that had a postie Thompson. Collapsable stock, pic tails and an Eotech. It was pretty cool
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a pistol Thompson and wanting to SBR it. Unfortunately it does not have the grove cut into the receiver for a butt stock. Any idea's on how to attach one?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#7]
doc_Zox ... If I had no other choice, that would be the Thompson I'd carry into a fight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a pistol Thompson and wanting to SBR it. Unfortunately it does not have the grove cut into the receiver for a butt stock. Any idea's on how to attach one?
View Quote

replace the lower with a carbine lower.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Just go DI 45.....here is the one I just built for myself......One of my uppers with a Samson Evolution....Aimpoint ........and one of my new magwell adaptors that uses HK USC mags and a stock AR15 lower...........adaptor slips in like a mag....has a paddle release....and has a last round bolt hold open.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check this site:

http://www.tommygunner.com/pages/parts/buttstockkits/

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#12]
People tend to forget these forums are technical forums and that their negative opinions don't amount to anything.

I think a tactical Thompson isn't really a bad deal, and could definitely be effective. Like the pics btw guys, that vert rail light and laser is a unique idea. Is that just a bolt on?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I couldn't figure out how to mount a carbine free floating quad rail so I bought 2 bolt on 4 rails from Amazon. A low tech solution that required no machining or changing the carbine permanently.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I couldn't figure out how to mount a carbine free floating quad rail so I bought 2 bolt on 4 rails from Amazon. A low tech solution that required no machining or changing the carbine permanently.
View Quote

Kenneth, sorry for thread hijacking, I couldn't help but notice the STL-300 light you have there! I just received a set of VLTOR hand-guards for my FAL and put the same light on her. That is one bright as hell Light! I was able to illuminate well out past 100 meters and was tuning the laser dope looking through the ACOG at the same distance. I had the light on my HK94 clone but didn't like it there at all because of it's bulkiness. I does work great on the battle rifle though and is solid as hell too. I will try to get some pics up on the FAL thread soon. Nice "lite" and it looks good on the Tommy!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:37:18 AM EDT
[#15]
cool, I love FALs, too... does your light eat batteries or am I just playing with the strobe function too much?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
cool, I love FALs, too... does your light eat batteries or am I just playing with the strobe function too much?
View Quote

I have not used it other than sighting in the laser and some quick drills in the back yard for the grip install (putting it where I wanted it on the rail). I plan on doing a night shoot sometime here in the near future and I will let you know. I probably will not use the Strob feature too much, if at all. The steady beam is plenty to disorient in my opinion if I ever had to deploy it in a CQB situation for SHTF or home defense.

Semper Fidelis
Jimmy
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Posted pics of the STL-300 on the FAL in the "FAL Discussion" area!

Jimmy
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been thinking that the Thompson design could be updated and lighter if it used a bent flat ala an AK, with a pressed upper similar to the slide on a SIG. Years ago I was considering a Kahr, and I asked to speak to someone in the shop about the difference in receivers. I asked about the 'lightweight' (everything is relative I guess) aluminum version and asked the guy about them. He said if he were buying one he'd buy the steel version, which tells me something.

I think Thompsons look best SBR'd, and I love the originals, as do so many others, so I think people just consider it so classic that you shouldn't mess with it. I myself have mixed feelings. I think rethinking the Thompson design, perhaps even bullpupping it, makes sense. I don't like bubba guns however. I hope to be able to afford an AO SBR this year, and it will stay in wood, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#19]
The rifle I modified is not a Thompson. It is a Volunteer Arms. It has a plastic lower receiver and it was very uncomfortable to shoulder and fire. The vertical grip placement was a reach for me. The placement of the Sig Sauer light/laser/strobe combo vertical grip makes it easier to shoulder and fire. I have an extra receiver block that I've modified with a mount for folding stock. I have an Ultra Light Weight Carbon Fiber but stock on the way to mount. I've done nothing to the rifle that can't be changed back, but once again, there's no collectors value to this gun, but it is accurate and fun to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top