Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2014 3:49:05 PM EDT
This is how the ASR was supposed to be IMO and 15 months in the making its finally home. It should make a handy little carbine...

Bentwood Gunsmithing out of Henderson, NV did a good job chopping/threading the barrel and engraving the receiver. Now I just got to chop my 45 conversion barrel and get a suppressor...
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That's actually kinda cool. Needs a more "sub-gun-ish" type stock.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
That things pretty effing sweet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish you wouldn't post pictures of this stuff......Now I want to take the barrel off of mine and replace it with one of their pistol barrels and make it look like this.

Shame on you!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great.

I agree though, it needs a simpler looking stock to match the lines of the tube upper.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if this one could be made to work........looks would match nicely....in my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if this one could be made to work........looks would match nicely....in my opinion.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/M231.jpg
View Quote

Don't think you'll get that to work, it still uses an AR style buffer.
But you might be able to mod the carrier to work with a NEA-style stock.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a short buffer tube that goes with that stock. For some reason it isn't in that picture. It is a M231 stock.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is a short buffer tube that goes with that stock. For some reason it isn't in that picture. It is a M231 stock.
View Quote

Ah, right, I was looking at it wrong.  Doesn't it use something like the old GSE style pistol tube?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, very similar. I am not the foremost authority, but I think so.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
interesting
not sure about the stock though
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Much better picture than what I found.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_0393_zps220666e0.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_0393_zps220666e0.jpg
I also thought of the modern AR stock.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the awesome ideas guys I really like the way you all are thinking but, those collapsible wire stocks are crazy expensive. Also, I'm not sure how well it would work with the shortened buffer tube but it is a simple weapon so I'm sure it could be overcome.

The stock I have on it now is the cheapo ATI that came with the gun. It also came with a TAPCO SAW grip that I never really liked and I much preferred the standard A2 grip. I think I'm actually going to go with one of the old school CAR stocks for this gun. It should make it slightly more compact and give it that retro sort of look. Then maybe add a flash suppressor until I can get the funds for a suppressor...
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#15]
That is cool, but it reminds me of a Tippman 98
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That is cool, but it reminds me of a Tippman 98
View Quote

Now that you mention it.....it does!
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:34:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the awesome ideas guys I really like the way you all are thinking but, those collapsible wire stocks are crazy expensive. Also, I'm not sure how well it would work with the shortened buffer tube but it is a simple weapon so I'm sure it could be overcome.

The stock I have on it now is the cheapo ATI that came with the gun. It also came with a TAPCO SAW grip that I never really liked and I much preferred the standard A2 grip. I think I'm actually going to go with one of the old school CAR stocks for this gun. It should make it slightly more compact and give it that retro sort of look. Then maybe add a flash suppressor until I can get the funds for a suppressor...
View Quote

One reason the NEA is so expensive is that it comes with it's own custom carrier.
You'd have to turn down the tail of the ASR carrier to fit the spring and pin in the buffer from the NEA or something to that effect.
The thing about blowback is that you don't want to give up too much fixed bolt mass or you could start to have problems.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Blow-back firearms are simple in concept, complex in detail. Sensitive to pressures of the ammo. Hard to get them just right sometimes. People look at them and just see a spring and a bolt, maybe a buffer and think "how nice", but then when it doesn't work they find out just how complex a juggling act a blow-back is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Not sure what it is designated, but what about this type of stock? (second one down, picture from google)

Same style stock, but more retro-sub-gun-ish looking.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I think one of the ACE stocks, like the ultralight one, would look pretty cool on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not sure what it is designated, but what about this type of stock? (second one down, picture from google)

Same style stock, but more retro-sub-gun-ish looking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/tazaroo/RetroAR-15s001.jpg
View Quote

Yup that's what I was thinking to. I believe that is the old school CAR type stock and it would be a better fit...
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#22]
what about the lwrc compact stock?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I think one of the ACE stocks, like the ultralight one, would look pretty cool on.
View Quote
So do I.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:10:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha!  
That's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm running a version of that stock on my PDW 5.56 build.  I think that stock would look perfect on this carbine.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I went ahead with the retro CAR stock.

its better and hopefully it doesn't effect the spring tension too much since the buffer tube is a bit shorter...

I tried an A2 flash suppressor but it just looked silly and I don't think this gun really needs it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Very sweet rifle. I would like to get a TNW, they look like a good PCC.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Very sweet rifle. I would like to get a TNW, they look like a good PCC.
View Quote

I have one in my collection. Its hard for me to say where it fits. Its a bit bigger and heavier than a KelTec Sub but its build so much better. Its not as heavy as a Just Right Carbine, but the JRC is perhaps built just a tad better and uses a lot of AR parts. (But it is bit more expensive). Its built much nicer than a Hi-Point 995 but cost twice as much (and worth every extra penny for what it is).

Its a fun little carbine and I hope we can see it grow into more. It has so much potential.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#29]
does look notably better w/ retro stock
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#30]
LWRC UCIW is another nice option that won't break the bank. Nice looking SBR!
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#31]
You might want to try the Mission First tactical "Minimalist" stock.  I just put it on my 7.5 9mm SBR and it looks completely different.  It now looks like a true sub-gun.  It totally rocks when the SD upper (4.5 inch barrel and YHM Wraith SMG can) is attached.  As soon as my stamp comes back for my DDLES 9mm colt pattern lower I will be putting one on their also. Can't beat it for the sub-gun "look".
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw your post elsewhere and I think I need one of these.  On the upside, being in CO it would be hard to acquire mags for other platforms (colt, sten etc) due to our recent mag restriction, but I am knee deep in Glock mags.  The quick detatch barrel reminds me of an integral my friend has on his S&W 76 which would make that very cool with out a second stamp.  I am looking for a wholesaler...

I thought this one...
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I had that very stock on mine originally.  I took it off because even though it is slimmer, it still makes the gun look and feel unbalanced.  I put the MFT Minimalist stock on and it changed everything.  It gives you the same "look" but it's adjustable so you can snug it up and make it fit you better.  And trust me on this, it looks awesome when in the second adjustment position. It's almost like the retractable stock on my Mp5. Sweet!

Here's a quick photo shop of the original picture.  It takes the weight and clutter off the rear, and makes it look more like a sub-gun.  I think if you try this stock, you're going to like it.  I would also suggest you try the US Palm AR grip.  It too adds a nice flavor to the overall appearance.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had that very stock on mine originally.  I took it off because even though it is slimmer, it still makes the gun look and feel unbalanced.  I put the MFT Minimalist stock on and it changed everything.  It gives you the same "look" but it's adjustable so you can snug it up and make it fit you better.  And trust me on this, it looks awesome when in the second adjustment position. It's almost like the retractable stock on my Mp5. Sweet!

Here's a quick photo shop of the original picture.  It takes the weight and clutter off the rear, and makes it look more like a sub-gun.  I think if you try this stock, you're going to like it.  I would also suggest you try the US Palm AR grip.  It too adds a nice flavor to the overall appearance.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac23/G5Subgunner/TNWSBR_zpsbd053084.png
View Quote

Hey, awesome photoshop, I appreciate the preview. I had actually considered that stock but I had never seen one on a rifle before. I might have to upgrade. Thanks for all of the help guys!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Very nice project, but when I guesstimate what it would cost to replicate it, I get dizzy:
- ASR, $822 (current price with shipping)
- FFL transfer fee, $25 (last time I had one done)
- SBR federal tax stamp, $200 (and a 8-10 month wait from what I've heard)
- Barrel threading/shortening, $70 minimum (last time I had one done)
- Different stock, $?
- Added foregrip, $?
- Added red dot, $?
At least $1250 total?  Plus you intend to add a suppressor, with its own tax stamp, that adds another $1000?  That'll push it to at least $2250.

That's why I went with the TNW ASP (pistol) rather than the carbine:
- ASP, $822 (current price with shipping)
- FFL transfer fee, $25
- SigTac SB-15 (stabilizing brace), $119 (on order)
- Walther 2x42 red/green dot, $54 (already owned)
Total cost, $1020 plus state sales tax (YMMV), no wait time for federal approval, it performs the same, and it looks almost the same.

OK, there are differences (I can't add a foregrip or suppressor), but it just galls me to pay BATFE a $400 bribe to let me exercise my 2nd Amendment right!

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Man, I am glad I bought my ASR early on (serial number in the first 200) when they were $575.

TNW is threading barrels now, I wrote that up in another post. I got to speak face-to-space with the rifle's designer yesterday. Wrote that up too.

Any time you start building a custom the price goes out the roof, especially if you SBR it and add a can.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Very nice project, but when I guesstimate what it would cost to replicate it, I get dizzy:
- ASR, $822 (current price with shipping)
- FFL transfer fee, $25 (last time I had one done)
- SBR federal tax stamp, $200 (and a 8-10 month wait from what I've heard)
- Barrel threading/shortening, $70 minimum (last time I had one done)
- Different stock, $?
- Added foregrip, $?
- Added red dot, $?
At least $1250 total?  Plus you intend to add a suppressor, with its own tax stamp, that adds another $1000?  That'll push it to at least $2250.

That's why I went with the TNW ASP (pistol) rather than the carbine:
- ASP, $822 (current price with shipping)
- FFL transfer fee, $25
- SigTac SB-15 (stabilizing brace), $119 (on order)
- Walther 2x42 red/green dot, $54 (already owned)
Total cost, $1020 plus state sales tax (YMMV), no wait time for federal approval, it performs the same, and it looks almost the same.

OK, there are differences (I can't add a foregrip or suppressor), but it just galls me to pay BATFE a $400 bribe to let me exercise my 2nd Amendment right!

View Quote

Yeah that is about right, but I have a lot more than that in other projects not as cool as this one. Dwelling on the price is sort of pointless as its not like I paid it all up front. A little here and there as I could FTW.  FYI, I only paid $575 for my ASR early last year. Here's how it breaks down for ya...

9X19 ASR - ~$600 FFL and shipped
Tax Stamp - $200
Barrel cut/thread - $140
Receiver engraved - $70
Sights - $60
Red dot/mount - $100
Foregrip - $20
Stock - $40

~$1,230 or so, not much more than yours. Pretty cheap PCC SBR actually, can't go much cheaper unless you go with a Hi-Point or something...

When I add in my .45 conversion kit and barrel chop it will be another $500. but the ability to swap between 9 and 45 using one SBR will be worth it to me. Plus I have piles of Glock mags already laying around so even better. The suppressor is an investment in itself that can be used on other guns so that is another matter.

Even though its not cheap, its worth it to me. Besides, what is cheap these days that isn't junk?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#38]
A man should be able to do with his money as he wishes. If he wants to build a rifle his own way and has the money, I would say to go for it!

You have one fine little firearm there and its one of a kind. Good job!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top