Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2014 7:15:43 PM EDT
I took inspiration from numerous sources including KTOG.org and MountainStorm on YouTube. I made some slight alterations to things that others have done and have come up with a red dot mounting solution that works best for my needs - retaining the oem fore-end and retaining the folding ability.

I ended up using an AimShot tri-rail barrel mount, with judicious use of Loctite. This mount is extremely secure due to the curvature of the mounting surface. I inverted the mount to allow the side pic rails to mount slightly higher and it fit inside the fore-end better this way. The offset mount is a Weaver-branded mount and it very secure. I chose this mount because it mounts the optic higher than other offset mounts, ultimately getting the optic at the perfect height for me. (The stock sights were too low for me, so I wanted the optic a bit higher). Also, tilting the rifle slightly for sighting through the optic is actually more comfortable for me - the stock fits into my shoulder better than it does when completely vertical. I'm very pleased.

Rifle with optic mounted:

Looking down the rifle:

Folded:

Photos of tri-rail barrel mount:

Minimal protrusion outside of fore-end:

I simply marked the location of the side pic rails inside of the fore-end, drilled through the where the corners met, then flipped the fore-end sides over and cut the rest out with a Dremel. It's not the most perfectly straight cuts, but the edges disappear under the pic rails:

That's all. It was pretty simple to do once I identified the parts I needed. Fairly cheap also and it met all of my needs. Yes, I know I could have gone with the Red Lion fore-end, but I wanted to go with simplicity and minimal added weight to the rifle. It retains excellent balance with this mod also.

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
That's cool!  Good job on the mod and thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good. And I fully get angling the rifle a bit, I've done it for years. I've noticed a lot of the gun guys I work out with do the same thing. The pec muscle and the deltoid do not line up straight up and down. There's some anatomy to your theory my friend :)
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The Weaver mount, is it This one ?  

I assume the Aimshot mount is This one .

Thanks for sharing.... looks like I've got some ordering to do. Already got a couple red dots just sitting on a shelf in the safe, looking for a host.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing.... looks like I've got some ordering to do. Already got a couple red dots just sitting on a shelf in the safe, looking for a host.
View Quote

Yes, those are the correct mounts that I used.

Depending on the red dots that you have already, they may or may not work. I went with a Primary Arms red dot that had the illumination dial on top rather than on the left side. I was concerned that having the dial on the left side may prevent folding. Yours may or may not work.

ETA: I looked at the head-on photo of the rifle folded with the red dot - it appears to have plenty of clearance no matter which side the illumination dial would be on. I don't think you'll have a problem at all. Go for it - post up pictures of your rifle when your mod is complete.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Depending on the red dots that you have already, they may or may not work. I went with a Primary Arms red dot that had the illumination dial on top rather than on the left side. I was concerned that having the dial on the left side may prevent folding. Yours may or may not work.

ETA: I looked at the head-on photo of the rifle folded with the red dot - it appears to have plenty of clearance no matter which side the illumination dial would be on. I don't think you'll have a problem at all. Go for it - post up pictures of your rifle when your mod is complete.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll likely be using a Bushnell  TRS-25 (it's the best of the 3 red dots I have available).  I shoot left handed, so it'll be on the left side of the rifle, dial on TRS is on the right side, at about 45 degrees. With the 45 degree offset, it'll be facing pretty much straight up. Should be plenty of clearance for folding. Thanks again.

I'll be adding the Kel -Tec factory rail for a laser also (ordered it from KT yesterday, Crimson Trace Railmaster (red) is just awaiting a mount. .
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice job. Good part is you can replace the plastic hand guards later should you decide to go another direction. But this looks like some well thought out work.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice job. Good part is you can replace the plastic hand guards later should you decide to go another direction. But this looks like some well thought out work.
View Quote

Yep, before I started cutting into the hand guards I ordered a spare set from KelTec - only $14, pretty reasonable. I didn't make any mistakes so I didn't need the spare set. They're now in my parts bin if I should ever change my mind and revert back to stock.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Would the try-rail work for a front sight?

I want to suppress my Sub-9s and to thread the barrel something is going to have to give.

I don't think there is a rail system to work with the Sub-9 variant.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I want to suppress my Sub-9s and to thread the barrel something is going to have to give.

View Quote

I have been wanting to to do the Red Lion twisting rail but am a cheap ass.
http://www.redlionprecision.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=R6
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, you could lose the front sight for a suppressor and then use a tri-rail to mount a front sight to it. However, I don't know how much height difference there would be between the rear and front sight. It would take some work to ensure they are both on the same plane.

The Red Lion Precision aluminum railed forend is out there, but it is pricey. I chose not to go with it because I think it adds a lot of weight to the front of the gun that I don't want nor need. I don't think the look is 'right' for the Sub2K either, but that's my own personal opinion.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, you could lose the front sight for a suppressor and then use a tri-rail to mount a front sight to it. However, I don't know how much height difference there would be between the rear and front sight. It would take some work to ensure they are both on the same plane.

The Red Lion Precision aluminum railed forend is out there, but it is pricey. I chose not to go with it because I think it adds a lot of weight to the front of the gun that I don't want nor need. I don't think the look is 'right' for the Sub2K either, but that's my own personal opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know that the rail systems are an option for me.  KelTec has told me that their Sub2000 rail will not fit on a Sub-9, and other mfgs are making their systems for the Sub2000 ….  so that leaves me out of the loop.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know that the rail systems are an option for me.  KelTec has told me that their Sub2000 rail will not fit on a Sub-9, and other mfgs are making their systems for the Sub2000 ….  so that leaves me out of the loop.
View Quote

Ah - I didn't realize you meant the original Sub9 design. In that case you may be S.O.L. You could post a question over on TheKTOG.org, but I suspect if KelTec report their rails will not work then I doubt the Red Lion will.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#14]

In looking closely at your last pic, I see where you cut the holes, in referance to the "rectangles" molded into the grip on the outside surface.... so you've already done the "marking" for anyone doing this who is using the same Aimshot tri-rail.  Looks like a little more than 3 rectangles wide, and from just above the lowest raised ridge, to just above  the upper raised ridge (IOW, 3 rectangles high also, but a little bit above the lower and upper lines). I'll start with a little smaller cut-out than that, then hand file the plastic grip outward from the hole, until I get a nice tight fit. Thanks again.

All my parts are enroute, I now have a project for next weekend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Well done.  My 1st project w/ my Sub-2000 is to get it to feed aught other than round nose .40" : (
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In looking closely at your last pic, I see where you cut the holes, in referance to the "rectangles" molded into the grip on the outside surface.... so you've already done the "marking" for anyone doing this who is using the same Aimshot tri-rail.  Looks like a little more than 3 rectangles wide, and from just above the lowest raised ridge, to just above  the upper raised ridge (IOW, 3 rectangles high also, but a little bit above the lower and upper lines). I'll start with a little smaller cut-out than that, then hand file the plastic grip outward from the hole, until I get a nice tight fit. Thanks again.

All my parts are enroute, I now have a project for next weekend.
View Quote

Here's what I did and it proved to be very simple: with the AimShot tri-rail mounted and "Loctite-d", I lined up the handguards one at a time, carefully placing it where it would go once installed. It's really easy to do because you can see the groove where the base goes into the barrel nut and where the muzzle end attaches around the barrel. Once I had it lined up properly, I marked the corners of the pic rail on the INSIDE of the handguard. Repeat for the other side. Once the insides of the handguards are marked, I simply took a small drill bit and drilled through the handguard on the corners of the pic rail markings. Then I flipped the handguard over and "connected the dots" with a thin Dremel cutting wheel like this one:  

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ah - I didn't realize you meant the original Sub9 design. In that case you may be S.O.L. You could post a question over on TheKTOG.org, but I suspect if KelTec report their rails will not work then I doubt the Red Lion will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't find the dimensions on the try-rail mount.  Can you measure it and post them?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can't find the dimensions on the try-rail mount.  Can you measure it and post them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From side to side (as mounted on the rifle) it is 2.115" from the edge of one picatinny rail to the edge of the other picatinny rail. Each picatinny rail is 1.54" long (3 slots). (both of these measurements were taken with my digital calipers)

Does that give you the answers you needed?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Midway USA has all the parts, just follow troy_v's directions in OP...  took me less than an hour.

Kel Tec factory picatinny rail for a laser is taking its sweet time getting here.  KT shipped on 2/7, estimated delivery by Pony Express (aka. Fed Ex smartpost) is 2/18. Ordered above parts from Midway on 2/7, arrived yesterday, 2/12 (UPS smartpost).

edit to add: I shoot LH, so I mounted the TRS-25 on left side. What amazed me was, when I clamped rifle into sight-vise to co-align red-dot with stock sights, elevation was already dead on, needed 3 clicks right (target used was 40yds).
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks good! I'm glad the mod went easily for you. Sweet, isn't it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fricken awesome! Thanks again for the inspiration.

After I took the picture, I remembered I had a UTG flashlight w/ rail mount in my parts box, that I snagged at a flea market for cheap... I mounted it on the other rail. It's a small LED light, uses 1 AA battery, it's only about 60 lumens, but more than good enough for indoors, or close-up outdoors in the dark.    I tried out a Surefire G2 with a CAA mount, but it was way too big.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Very nice work.

I intend to own a S2K in .40 sometime
and was wondering how I was going
to get an optic mounted.

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I ended up using an AimShot tri-rail barrel mount
View Quote

It looks like this could be turned and mounted at 90 degrees, and with a quick detach mount an Aimpoint Micro could be stowed on the bottom rail when the Sub is closed, and then removed and mounted on the top rail after it's opened.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It looks like this could be turned and mounted at 90 degrees, and with a quick detach mount an Aimpoint Micro could be stowed on the bottom rail when the Sub is closed, and then removed and mounted on the top rail after it's opened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AimShot only has 3 rails. If you use the middle one for a top rail then there won't be one on the bottom. However, you could use the UTG version (not as good) but it has a quad rail. You'd have to find a good T1 QD mount that has a dependable, repeatable return to zero. Once you do find one then yes, it could be mounted on a top pic rail when shooting and stored elsewhere. Good point.

I have three Aimpoint T1's (two on AR's one on an AK) and they are great red dots. One of mine is mounted on an ADM QD mount that has held zero the few times I've dismounted it and reattached it to the rifle. I didn't want to spend that amount of $$ on this Sub2K solution so I went the fixed and offset route. But one conceivably could do exactly as you suggested.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#27]
The bottom rail looks short - that is why I mentioned turning the mount 90 degrees.  It looks like the bottom rail, once turned, would fit inside the hand guard.  If not it could be cut off with a Dremel.

Then sections on the top and bottom of the Sub's forearm could be removed to accommodate the rails, which are now oriented top and bottom, instead of side to side.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The bottom rail looks short - that is why I mentioned turning the mount 90 degrees.  It looks like the bottom rail, once turned, would fit inside the hand guard.  If not it could be cut off with a Dremel.

Then sections on the top and bottom of the Sub's forearm could be removed to accommodate the rails, which are now oriented top and bottom, instead of side to side.
View Quote

Yep, that could work. Do you want to be the test subject ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just might.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turning the Aimshot 90 degrees would give you a rail on the top, but I don't think there'd be enough rail sticking out of the bottom. You could always add a rail riser block to the bottom....  return to zero isn't a concern on the bottom "storage" rail.

Another thing you could do is turn the Aimshot 180, with a rail on both sides & top (might need a riser too), and "store" a detachable mount on the side.

But honestly, there's nothing wrong with Troy's original set-up, other than it's not very ambidexterous. It's the first offset sight I've used... not as "differant" as it looks, as long as it's on the proper side. I'm LH, tried it with sight on right side... nah, no good, stock didn't fit my shoulder very well with top of butt plate tilted away from my body. Sight on left side was a perfect fit,  tilting top of stock inward just a bit to acquire the red-dot actually fits better than straight up, in a normal position.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

After I took the picture, I remembered I had a UTG flashlight w/ rail mount in my parts box, that I snagged at a flea market for cheap... I mounted it on the other rail. It's a small LED light, uses 1 AA battery, it's only about 60 lumens, but more than good enough for indoors, or close-up outdoors in the dark.    I tried out a Surefire G2 with a CAA mount, but it was way too big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was going to be my next question.  Pics of the light mounted?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Is there any reason why a Magpul rail section like used for the MOE forearm system couldn't be used externally without cutting a hole in the forearms? Just screwing it on?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is there any reason why a Magpul rail section like used for the MOE forearm system couldn't be used externally without cutting a hole in the forearms? Just screwing it on?
View Quote

That route would not be very stable. A lot of people have screwed pic rails onto the oem plastic fore end, however it does not yield a very stable mount for an optic. I'm certain it would not hold zero accurately.  

The method I used in this thread really is rather simple and low cost. The optics mount is rock solid.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That route would not be very stable. A lot of people have screwed pic rails onto the oem plastic fore end, however it does not yield a very stable mount for an optic. I'm certain it would not hold zero accurately.  

The method I used in this thread really is rather simple and low cost. The optics mount is rock solid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I asked.  LOL  Thanks.  Just wondering before I cut up my forearm LOL
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's why I asked.  LOL  Thanks.  Just wondering before I cut up my forearm LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy a new forearm from Kel Tec for $14, and cut that one.... if you mess up, or if you want to go back to original configuration,  you'll have the original forearm to put back on. While you're ordering from K-T, might as well get the factory rail that fits the bottom front of the forearm too. It's perfect for a small laser, nice & close to the bore.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I used troy rails..  drilled the holes then used the metal backing brackets that troy rails mount too.  Seems very solid.. also have an rvg mounted the same way.  
Older picture but switched to a PA micro dot now

IMG_20130915_152419_526 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Almost done.

Rather than take the red Crimson Trace Railmaster off my G17, I put a NcStar laser on it that wasn't being used (but held up real well on my AKM), until I get the $$ for a green CT Railmaster. Might even put the Red Lion front sight on it at some point, but with the red dot & laser, stock sight is good enuf for now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Nicely done.  Anyone have luck polishing the feed ramp?  I can't get my .40" Glock mag SUB-40 to feed 'ought but round nose .40".  It turns its bolt up @ standard flat tip & any hollowpoint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top