Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like they are getting out to the stores - KyGunCo has them listed in their email flyer.
http://www.kygunco.com/citadel-m-1-9mm-carbine-wood-stock-10-rd-78938
If reviews are anywhere near good I'm in for 1

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a sucker for all things PCC, especially in 9mm. I love the M-1 carbine and would love to have a good one, just not pay a ton for a worn out POS. So, this rifle is really attractive to me. And I live just a few minutes from KyGunCo. (And yes, Tiffany looks  better in person than in the videos. She is TALL).

But, this thing just has to prove itself to me. Sorry, they have made junk like the .22 M-1 that soured me. Maybe I will run down and see one in person. Being old I have learned to wait...let them get the bugs out first. There are always bugs in the first ones.

But put me on the list for one.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I also love PCC's, but will pass on this one due to personal, subjective magazine issues. I use several forms of 9mm magazines - glock, M&P, 5906, and even kahr - but I don't use beretta magazines in anything I own. Starting a new gun platform is bad enough, but I'm something of a mag whore and starting a new magazine platform can be even worse than starting a new gun platform to me personally. If that gun used any of the mags I already have & use I'd consider it strongly, but as much of a PCC whackjob as I am, it has no attraction to me as it is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also love PCC's, but will pass on this one due to personal, subjective magazine issues. I use several forms of 9mm magazines - glock, M&P, 5906, and even kahr - but I don't use beretta magazines in anything I own. Starting a new gun platform is bad enough, but I'm something of a mag whore and starting a new magazine platform can be even worse than starting a new gun platform to me personally. If that gun used any of the mags I already have & use I'd consider it strongly, but as much of a PCC whackjob as I am, it has no attraction to me as it is.
View Quote

Ah, but some of us have either B-92 pistols or, like me, have a CX-4 that uses the 92 series magazines including the 30 round ones.  But then I have a JRC and a TNW ASR that both use Glock mags, and a Marlin 9 Camp and a Kel-Tec Sub9 (the original and still the best( that both use the S&W 59 series. So, for me the 92 mag would be a natural fit. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I take this stuff serious. (right....)  So I drove down to KyGunCo and they had four of these. I got to handle one and see if first hand. The short of it was...when I left they still had four of them in stock.

Impressions:

Yes, it looks like a M-1 carbine. But, it is really short. Have I just forgotten how short the carbine was?
Its made in Italy, quality is a big ???
The action doesn't look quite right, its got an operating rod down both sides, not just one like the original. The finish is so-so. Not terrible, not wonderful.
The bolt just slides back, it doesn't rotate like the real thing.
The trigger housing is plastic. Nice plastic but plastic. So is the bayonet mount. But it is styled correctly.
The stock does have the cut out for the oilier sling mount.
The stock on the one I looked at was wood. Mystery wood covered in a very dark brown stain. Again, not perfect but OK

Conclusion:

Hard to speak for all but for me I left it on the counter. I like M-1 carbines since having one in the Army long ago. ( I was in a really out of the way station in Africa and we still had them in the late 1960's).  Then I had one of those Plainsfield carbines made from surplus parts. Sort of an imitation of the original.

The M-1 carbine was, in the 60's and 70's the AR-14 of its day. Time moved on and now we pine for what was lost. If you don't have a PCC already and you want something that mostly looks like an M-1 but shoots 9mm, then this might be your rifle. Its short and small. Weight is similar to an original. From a distance it certainly resembles an M-1. It shoots 9mm ammo that is easier to find and cheaper than the .30 carbine ammo but doesn't have as much power of course.

I still want to see how they do. I know that in ten years it will be an orphan like many other guns that are fashionable. Also, I want to wait and see what the pricing does. I am betting that in a year or two they will be like $449 or something. At that price they get more interesting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
How much were they?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How much were they?
View Quote

In the store, cash price was like $535 with free shipping to your FFL.

Look here:  M-1 9mm
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Ah, but some of us have either B-92 pistols or, like me, have a CX-4 that uses the 92 series magazines including the 30 round ones.  But then I have a JRC and a TNW ASR that both use Glock mags, and a Marlin 9 Camp and a Kel-Tec Sub9 (the original and still the best( that both use the S&W 59 series. So, for me the 92 mag would be a natural fit. YMMV
View Quote

Interesting - I didn't know (or maybe just didn't remember) that there was a 59-series version of the sub-9. I had one that used glock mags 8-10 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Interesting - I didn't know (or maybe just didn't remember) that there was a 59-series version of the sub-9. I had one that used glock mags 8-10 years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Ah, but some of us have either B-92 pistols or, like me, have a CX-4 that uses the 92 series magazines including the 30 round ones.  But then I have a JRC and a TNW ASR that both use Glock mags, and a Marlin 9 Camp and a Kel-Tec Sub9 (the original and still the best( that both use the S&W 59 series. So, for me the 92 mag would be a natural fit. YMMV

The Sub-9 had two basic versions. One for Glock. Then the other would, by changing the mag latch would take either S&W59, Beretta 92, or Sig 226 magazines. You can not convert the Glock to take anything else nor can you convert the "Other" to take a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Sub-9 had two basic versions. One for Glock. Then the other would, by changing the mag latch would take either S&W59, Beretta 92, or Sig 226 magazines. You can not convert the Glock to take anything else nor can you convert the "Other" to take a Glock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know that; thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Last I checked there was also two variations of the Glock version, a full grip for G17 mags and a short grip for G19 mags. The G19 grip is SHORT, like a .380 mouse gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much were they?

$535? Huh. Not too bad.
I really am hoping these things work well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a few videos of the M1

First on is an out of the box look over of the carbine. He states in the text below the vid the rear sight is falling off, and he is getting failures to feed.

M1 review

The second video some guy putting rounds through it with shitty music, but a least it seems to be functioning.

M1 Shooting

I want to like this but I am in the wait and see camp for now.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I am with you on this, wait and see. Most often the first batch has some issues. We will see if the factory corrects them on later models. The price isn't bad, if it works reliably. But that is the big question now, isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top