Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2013 1:28:01 PM EDT
Put the paperwork in for an Osprey 9mm suppressor today.  Have a SOCOM556 for the rifles, kinda want a 9mm AR to use the Osprey with.  Are most of the parts interchangeable with the 5.56 rifles, or are there specific lowers/uppers and such?

I want to SBR this as well.  Is there an 'ideal' barrel length for non-pistol length 9mm?

Thanks.

The only other PCC I'm interested is a 9mm CX4.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Building an AR using an ADCO barrel.  5" or 7"?  Want suppressed.  Figure I'll have to use 147gr for subsonic, right?
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Copy, you'll need 147gr to stay subsonic.  You can get plated bullets and load them yourself for about $0.14 per round.

There may be some interchangeable parts between different company's 9mm ARs, but I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Also, you'll need to pick what magazine you want it to use: Colt, Uzi, or Glock.  Rock River Arms' use Uzi mags, while Olympic's use Glock mags.

As for barrel length, if you go too long your rounds may become supersonic again.  I'd stick with 5" or whatever keeps the ammo subsonic in a pistol with the same suppressor.  You may need to file your SBR paperwork, get your can, and then test your bullet speed before you decide what length of barrel to buy.

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
mine is 10.5 with an osprey 9mm
I reload 147gr PD FMJ for about 137ish per K

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

mine is 10.5 with an osprey 9mm
I reload 147gr PD FMJ for about 137ish per K
View Quote

And it stays subsonic at 10.5" ?  That's cool.  I want to build one like yours, and if the barrel can be that long, at may be a nice shooter out to a bit of range.

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had 0 go supersonic and load mine at the hotter end using Bullseye.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Copy, you'll need 147gr to stay subsonic.  You can get plated bullets and load them yourself for about $0.14 per round.

There may be some interchangeable parts between different company's 9mm ARs, but I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Also, you'll need to pick what magazine you want it to use: Colt, Uzi, or Glock.  Rock River Arms' use Uzi mags, while Olympic's use Glock mags.

As for barrel length, if you go too long your rounds may become supersonic again.  I'd stick with 5" or whatever keeps the ammo subsonic in a pistol with the same suppressor.  You may need to file your SBR paperwork, get your can, and then test your bullet speed before you decide what length of barrel to buy.
View Quote

I want a basic rail on this so I can have some sort of vertical grip, I can't comfortably fire with my support hand that close to my trigger hand in a traditional hold, so vert grip is my best option IMO.  Are there 5" rails out there?  Remember, I have an Osprey 9mm on order, its not a normal round suppressor, I just need to make sure it will secure on the threads and not be interfered with by a rail.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Barrels in the 4.5"-5" length are fantastic.  I have SBR'd 9mm AR's built on RRA's, and also a DDLES.  All have RRA uppers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#8]
This is what I did, but I need to SBR this sucker now.

Just Right Carbine in 9mm with Osprey 45 screwed on.

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]
You'll love it.  I shoot 115g plated bullets and they stay subsonic even from my 16" barreled 9mm AR15.

ETA: The 115g are mine own reloads

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
147g bullets will stay subsonic even in 16" barrels.  The colt pattern 9mm AR uses modified uzi mags, the rock river is a colt pattern which also uses modified uzi mags.  Olympic made a 9mm AR which accepted glock magazines but I think they are no longer made, if IIRC the new ones take modified sten maazines.  LWD  and DDLES make lowers that accept glock magazines but you would need to modify the 9mm bolt which LWD will do for a fee.

The Oly system:

Is proprietary, only Oly makes the specific parts.

The parts are the bolt assembly, the ejector assembly and the barrel.

The ejector requires modifying the upper receiver with three holes.

The bolt and barrel are particular to their system.

No bolt hold open (not sure with their new magazines).

You can use the big oly magazines or colt style mags with a magwell adapter.

The Colt system:

By far the more common.

Used by Colt, RRA, CMMG, Model 1, etc.

Does not require modification of the upper. The ejector is on the magwell adapter.

The 9mm parts are the bolt, the barrel, magwell adapter and magazines.

There are several dedicated lowers for this system that do not require the magwell adapter.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is what I did, but I need to SBR this sucker now.

Just Right Carbine in 9mm with Osprey 45 screwed on.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc356/03rangerxlt/JR%20Carbine/20130802_093057_zpsbef8d580.jpg
View Quote

I need to see a video of this one being fired.  I have a YHM Wraith 9mm suppressor coming sometime within the next 15 years (just kidding).  I already have the JRC host.  Can't wait ! ! !
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want it as quiet as possible I'd looking into something that isn't direct blow-back.  An MP5 series gun, or that new Sig would be nice options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top