Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By LMTRocks:
Also, if you don't currently have a pistol length upper, test fire the upper with any length barreled upper and you still have a pistol. Being a pistol isn't contingent upon a certain barrel length––-just the absence of a stock on the gun.

Originally Posted By iNeXile556:

Originally Posted By Mahamotorworks:
Just for clairification: I want to make sure I have this right...

On the 4473 the Stripped lower will still be transfered as "other" becasue it doesnt meet the definition of a rifle or pistol.  

Build Stripped lower as a pistol with no buttstock and barrel less then 16".  Take photos, test fire and enjoy.

We can "upgrade" the pistol to a rifle.  Buttstock and barrel Greater then 16". Take photos, test fire and enjoy.

Then we can revert it back with no reprocussions because it was built as a pistol first? .

Thanks

MAHA

Yes.

Hmmm...I'm thinking the budget way to do this would be to assemble the stripped lower into a *.22* caliber handgun first. No buffer tube required; for that matter, no front handguard required. All it takes is an LPK, 22 conversion, a plug for the buffer tube hole, and a shot out  old upper. Pull the gas tube and FSB, cut the upper off at pistol length, and voila! Low budget temporary pistol build. Photograph, shoot, save target, sell shortened upper and then assemble into rifle. Keep keep the bill of sale for the shortened upper so there are no SBR questions later about "constructive intent".

Now, where did I put those CMMG "election special" lowers I bought...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
For the gent asking about the folding stock - yes.  If you have short arms it might not be worth it.  I'm 6'2" and have long arms.  When I added a folding mechanism to the ar/m4 stock it felt long.  So I went back to the telescoping stock, with it collapsed its a pretty compact carbine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I just dragged this one out to the range and burned through a bunch of 10mm to see how it runs.  

Mech Techs ain't ugly any more.  

First range report was good too.  No failures at all over 200 rounds mixed, and solid carbine accuracy.  Gonna have to put a reflex sight on it, but I'll get to that later.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 10:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jgrider] [#4]
Hello
 I ran across this thread while doing a search for an issue I'm having with Mech- Tech.
I own an older .45 1911 CCU that I've used in 3 gun and Steel Challenge matches. It's never given me any problems with any reload I've used in it. From major power loads for IPSC to light bullseye loads for Steel Challenge matches.
My wife owned a Glock 17 CCU until it was recently lost/stolen when shipped to our house.
   This is a little fyi if ever you need to send in your unit to Mech-Tech.
I sent the G17 back to Mech -Tech for the second time to repair a broken extractor pin.
After waiting a while I called them to ask the status of my CCU. I was told that it had been shipped and delivered to my house a week before, on a day we were out. I told them it wasn't here, and that I hadn't been notified that it was being shipped. So I called Fed-X to see if it had been delivered to the wrong address. They told me that it was left at my front door because the shipper hadn't requested a signature upon delivery. They also told me that Mech-Tech hadn't taken out any insurance so Fed-x wasn't libel.

I called Mech-Tech back to see what they were going to do for me. The answer was "nothing". They said they shipped and it was delivered and that's it. That they don't ever take out insurance or request a signature unless the customer wants to pay for it.
I explained that on the two occasions that I sent the CCU  to them, I had taken out insurance and requested a signature from them,. I told them that no one had notified me that the unit was going to be shipped back to me. Had they done that, I would have paid for the insurance and a required signature upon delivery.
So now I'm out a Glock17 CCU and some thief has it and who knows what it'll be used for or where it is.
If Mech-Tech had simply required a signature, Fed-X wouldn't have left it at the door.

So my advise would be that if Mech-Tech is going to ship something to you, be sure to insure it and request a signature. I've never had anything like this happen to me before

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
So in the eyes of the ATF if you have a Mech Tech upper and you own a 1911 pistol you are  breaking the law.How do they know you never put the Mech tech upper on your 1911 lower?
It seems to me just by owning both one would be in violation of the law, unless you owned a second 1911 lower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]
So in the eyes of the ATF if you have a Mech Tech upper and you own a 1911 pistol you are  breaking the law.How do they know you never put the Mech tech upper on your 1911 lower?
It seems to me just by owning both one would be in violation of the law, unless you owned a second 1911 lower.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I kind of want to sbr one
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I know you were looking at the MT 1911 CCU, but combat armory has complete used G3 lowers for $99 and free shipping. I bought one for my .40 MT. They appear to be virtually brand new, mechanically. I wasn't worried about legality, but for $99, why switch it out?

http://www.combatarmory.com/pre-owned-complete-glock-22-gen-3-lower/
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#9]
So then this would also apply to a 16” CAA Gear Roni Carbine Conversion?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Another case of F^#% the ATF. If our government has such time as to investigate such owners of otherwise legal firearms then go do something useful.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#11]
What?!

When did this ruling happen?!  Last I checked, going from pistol to long gun & back was legal... goes back to the TC Contender if I recall...
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kaliburz:
What?!

When did this ruling happen?!  Last I checked, going from pistol to long gun & back was legal... goes back to the TC Contender if I recall...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kaliburz:
What?!

It is, and that's what the big news (back in the day) was with the following PDF.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2011-4-pistols-configured-rifles-rifles-configured-pistols/download

Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or reassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA has been made.
To clarify: using a Mech Tech CCU to turn a pistol frame into a carbine, and going back to a pistol as desired, is perfectly legal.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top