Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
Author
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC
Posted: 2/16/2011 12:36:25 PM
Advisory Notification Regarding the NDS-1948W welded “Uzi” receivers

It has come to our attention that three examples of this product have experienced failures in the weld attaching the front trunion to the receiver shell.

One of the guns failed after 4-5 round were fired, and the other two after approximately 60 rounds were fired.

All three firearms were built as Post-Sample Machineguns by licensed manufacturers.

The receivers in question were repaired by the customers before they had notified us of the defect so that there is no way for us to inspect the parts to see what the exact cause was.

Both customers were very happy with the product in spite of this defect, and did not express any desire to return them for replacement.

After an initial inspection of some of our in-house inventory we believe that the failures were caused by over-zealous grinding of the welds which thinned out the connecting material, rather than due to poor quality welding.

During our testing of prototype and production NDS-1948 receivers we have experienced zero failures regarding the welds.

We believe this to be an isolated incident, and this does not constitute a recall, but rather and advisory to our customers.

Please inspect your receiver in the front to see if the four (4) points that are welded to the trunion are experiencing cracking or separation. Also look at it from the top or bottom to see if the sides of the trunion area have obvious “dips” or depressions due to excessive dressing of the welds.

If you experience a failure in the welds; please notify us immediately BEFORE you attempt any repairs. We would like to examine the receiver (or pictures of it) so we can ascertain what is the root cause.

We (NDS and McKay Ent.) will repair or replace any receivers that experience failures of the welds, and will also reimburse your return shipping costs.

McKay Enterprises has stated that they will not reimburse customers for any finishing on the receiver. (Parkerizing, Duracoat, Bluing, etc.)

McKay Enterprises has initiated an inspection, rework, and testing regime on all remaining inventory of the NDS-1948W “fully welded” receivers, and changes will be made to the next production run to alleviate any possible problems in this area.
Yes, our parts are tight, we did that on purpose.

I opened this thread an hour ago, fainted hit my head and now Im awake again but drooling all over the place. "kalahnikid"
TZLVredmist
Registered Loser
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/22/2011 8:30:03 PM
Mike,

I am currently building a Post Sample on your reciever. I think I may have some information for you.

When I was test fitting my front trunnion today I noticed that the slots in the NDS reciever for welding did not sit centered on the welding pad of the front trunnion. It's only noticable on the rear slots, the front slots are centered on there welding pads. The rears end up over the necked down portion of the trunnion and could be hard to weld for some. I was going to drill a couple holes behind the NDS Slots and use those for my rear welds. I can post some pictures for you tomorrow if that helps. I have already left the shop so i don't have the parts in front of me.

I wonder if this is a variation in front trunnions??
mike_nds
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/3/2011 12:34:04 PM
Thanks, a picture could be helpful.

But if I understand correctly you have an after market weld-up kit.

There is a very good chance that the McKay front trunion has a different shape in that area.

As I do not do any of the fabrication of this product, I will have to look at the parts next time I'm over at McKay's.

I opened this thread an hour ago, fainted hit my head and now Im awake again but drooling all over the place. "kalahnikid"
TZLVredmist
Registered Loser
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/3/2011 11:53:38 PM
I am using a demilled kit, its an IMI IDF ara kit.

Here are some pics for ya.

I already welded the kit togeather with a fat MIG weld instead of the TIG. I don't think shes coming out! But as you can see, pad placement is a little off on my build/kit.
mike_nds
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2011 2:12:45 PM
That location is obviously not good when using the full-auto style trunion. I will forward that pic to McKay.

Here's a shot of the semi-auto trunion they used. You can see that it is longer in the bearing surface and that the hole is right at the forward limit of contact. I will recommend that they move it farther to the rear for the next run of shells.

Thanks for the feedback.

TZLVredmist
Registered Loser
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2011 9:17:50 PM
No problem! Thanks for a steller product!
jdb3
ALLAH HATES THEM TOO!!!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/7/2011 5:16:01 AM
I noticed the trunnion holes also. I milled a block to hold the receiver in my mill vise so I could open the holes (I have a few to weld). I use MIG so I need a little extra playing room but the holes don't quite match my semi or SMG trunnions.

Another thing I noticed, the sling swivel mount is too high on the receiver. I've got a fix in mind for my receivers but the "average joe" will most likely end up having to notch the top cover slightly for a proper fit.

Those issues are pretty easy to overcome. Otherwise, I am very pleased with the receivers. I've seen a couple of Group Industries receivers that should have been on the bottom of a rocking chair. Bowed .100"-.140" in the middle. If you know the Uzi, you'll know the problems that creates.

Danbaum: Let's be gentlemen. -After the liberal anti-gun writer calls us dickheads.

WinstonSmith: You got the wrooooooooooooong muthafuckin website hombre.
mike_nds
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/12/2011 11:09:47 AM
[Last Edit: 3/12/2011 11:11:07 AM by mike_nds]
Update: 3/12/11

We have sent all our NDS-1948W receivers back to be reworked and expect to resume shipping in 1-2 weeks.

Based on the test results; the rework procedure (also future production) will result in a trunion weld that will withstand a peak load over 12,000 lbf and be comparable to the original IMI receiver chunk that was tested along side ours.

Ductapeman
WECSOG Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2011 1:20:58 PM
[Last Edit: 3/18/2011 1:21:48 PM by Ductapeman]
Do you have any new info (or a good guess) when your semi bolts and strikers will be available? If we buy a receiver now, before they are available, will we still be eligible for the discount the website mentions for purchase together with a receiver? (Yes, I'm cheap, it's a character flaw, I know . . . )

ETA: Can't wait to get my grubby paws on one of these!
Just because it stopped smoking doesn't mean you can pick it up. --FotBR

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs." --Marcello Truzzi
mike_nds
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/24/2011 8:02:22 PM
[Last Edit: 3/25/2011 8:10:29 AM by mike_nds]
The bolt assemblies went up for sale today.

We will start shipping on the back ordered NDS-1948W receivers tomorrow.

The receivers came back from re-work with some ugly grinding on the front trunion welds.

I didn't want them to tumble the receivers again because it can beat up the grip lug and the threads on the trunion.

So I am doing some clean up on the welds in house. This entails buffing and sand blasting the front end. The welds will not be ground completely flush, as my IMI kit chunks are not either.

Each receiver is being checked to make sure the grip panels will install properly.

I have lots of stuff on my plate right now, so I can only do about 50 a week.

Please be patient when you place your order, it might not ship right away.

Also; we have just over 200 receivers left from this production run.