Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2017 9:41:55 AM EDT
Inherited this one.  Serial number starts #10934

Can/Should I have it refinished?  Lever is a bit loose when the action is closed but I assume a gunsmith can work on that.

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I would personally leave it.
I have one that looks the same that I inherited from Grandpa.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
there is zero sentimental value to it, my relative who owned it bought it off a neighbor who needed $$$
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd fix it mechanically if needed.
Unless the rust is advancing I'd leave the finish alone.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barrel looks good, get the lever tightened, oil and wax the stock, lightly take the surface rust off with some brass wool, oil and wax the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#5]
sell it to me so I can pretend to be a frontier mountain man/cowboy?

if it's safe and runs maybe just something to keep the patina. a clear coat or similar. I think it's cool, and if you don't care that it has meaning, roll with it
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Long forend tip and caliber marking of .30 WCF?  Old enough to actually have some collector value, even as-is.  

I'd advise treading lightly on cleaning it up.  Some folk's ideas of "restoration" would suck value right out of it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Long forend tip and caliber marking of .30 WCF?  Old enough to actually have some collector value, even as-is.  

I'd advise treading lightly on cleaning it up.  Some folk's ideas of "restoration" would suck value right out of it.
View Quote
made in 1935
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

made in 1935
View Quote
Yeah, I almost wrote pre-WWII and didn't because I was too lazy to do a serial search.  Still, from what I've seen it gets a bump in price over post-war, pre-'64 examples.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
If your going to restore it send it to the man the myth the legend of Winchester restoration Doug Turnbull I can a test to the craftsmanship of his work he has done 3 guns for friends and preserved my 1895 production Winchester. He also did a Browning High Power for a friend it was a police gun beat up he had it high finished cause that's what he wanted the gun is stunning and was quite affordable
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Leave the finish  "As Is ". You have a cool old rifle that shows its age, thats all. If you want a new rifle buy one. Don't do anything to that old rifle...
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
The least I would do is give it a thorough cleaning and get any rust off. If collectors don't like that so be it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If collectors don't like that so be it.
View Quote

That is the kind of attitude that turns $5000 dollar guns into $500 dollar guns...

As a collector of guns, I want to buy in the original condition, I don't buy rifles or pistols that have been "restored"  Most people don't know how to properly restore a gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, but he was just talking about cleaning.  I would assume cleaning it would be fine?  

I personally wouldn't refinish it.  I really don't see why so many people have a problem with having a finish that isn't pristine on a gun or stock.  I could see if it's bare metal and your afraid of rust.  But heck, if it's a collector model, I'm guessing you can just keep it rubbed down with oil.   Or make sure it has some on it..  I don't know.  I just know it seems like every day I see a post of somebody wanting to refinish some original gun with a little bit of pitting or wear on the finish and I'm always scratching my head as to why.   It's not new any more.  Isn't that OK?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Love win 94s.

Go shoot it, then shoot it some more.  Good enough for everybody's American grandparents (and John Wayne, Chuck Connors et al.), good enough for you.

It's a man's gun. Go exercise your testosterone.  Clean up that pitting and give that rifle some love. You both deserve it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is the kind of attitude that turns $5000 dollar guns into $500 dollar guns...

As a collector of guns, I want to buy in the original condition, I don't buy rifles or pistols that have been "restored"  Most people don't know how to properly restore a gun.
View Quote
So removing light rust and cleaning it is fucking restoring it?

Wow...go be misleading with that hyperbole somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Wipe it down good with some paper towels and oil, scrub some of the rust off with that combo.

Shoot it.

Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

As far as a collector is concerned, yes it is, you are changing the actually condition of the gun, collectors don't pay top dollar for guns like that, I was a pistol collectors show a few weeks ago and a guy had a Colt Pistol built in the 1800's that completely original was worth north of $40,000 dollars, but he "cleaned it" the highest offer he got on it was about $5000, and only a  few actually made an offer on it, he went home with it.

So I am not being misleading with hyperbole, I have been collecting guns for over 40 years now, and have some really nice pieces that are worth really good money.  A 1935 Winchester 94 has pretty good value in it if you find the right buyer.

What is it with some of you guys?  cleaning the action and barrel is not restoration, but removing that rust would be considered restoration and lower the value of the gun.

All you need to do with an old gun is make sure it is mechanically sound and then clean the barrel and action and wipe it down with oil.

You are the one that said
If collectors don't like that so be it
I just told you the truth, collectors don't like that.

You can go somewhere else and hand out bad advise.

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As far as a collector is concerned, yes it is, you are changing the actually condition of the gun, collectors don't pay top dollar for guns like that, I was a pistol collectors show a few weeks ago and a guy had a Colt Pistol built in the 1800's that completely original was worth north of $40,000 dollars, but he "cleaned it" the highest offer he got on it was about $5000, and only a  few actually made an offer on it, he went home with it.

So I am not being misleading with hyperbole, I have been collecting guns for over 40 years now, and have some really nice pieces that are worth really good money.  A 1935 Winchester 94 has pretty good value in it if you find the right buyer.

What is it with some of you guys?  cleaning the action and barrel is not restoration, but removing that rust would be considered restoration and lower the value of the gun.

All you need to do with an old gun is make sure it is mechanically sound and then clean the barrel and action and wipe it down with oil.

You are the one that said

I just told you the truth, collectors don't like that.

You can go somewhere else and hand out bad advise.

View Quote
I don't give a crap what you as a collector think. As far as bad advice the OP never claimed he wanted to sell it as a collector rifle. If keeping the rust on it is part of a collector's gun I sincerely don't care. What is it with people that their first reply has to be a smart ass comment and take it to 11 right away? Get off your high horse with that bad advice shit, I wasn't the only one who said to clean it up ffs....I hope he does a total restoration, that should really set you off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't give a crap what you as a collector think. As far as bad advice the OP never claimed he wanted to sell it as a collector rifle. If keeping the rust on it is part of a collector's gun I sincerely don't care. What is it with people that their first reply has to be a smart ass comment and take it to 11 right away? Get off your high horse with that bad advice shit, I wasn't the only one who said to clean it up ffs....I hope he does a total restoration, that should really set you off.
View Quote
Boy talk about a chip on your shoulder, I don't care what he does with the gun, he said he had no attachment to it, I just passed along correct information on an antique gun.  As far as setting me off, you are a long ways from setting me off.

You simply want to fight, go fight somewhere else, cause I am not going to fight with you internet tough guy.  As far as my first reply, you are wrong, I have made a lot of replies in many sections of this website.  As far as being smart assed reply, I have to say, your smart assed meter needs to be calibrated again!

If you will read through my last response to you, I stated "Make sure the action is sound, Clean the barrel and wipe it down with oil"  That preserves the patina of the rifle.

Anyway, go find somewhere else to be a tough guy.

Have a good day.

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Would not refinish but get some oil on the metal
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Boy talk about a chip on your shoulder, I don't care what he does with the gun, he said he had no attachment to it, I just passed along correct information on an antique gun.  As far as setting me off, you are a long ways from setting me off.

You simply want to fight, go fight somewhere else, cause I am not going to fight with you internet tough guy.  As far as my first reply, you are wrong, I have made a lot of replies in many sections of this website.  As far as being smart assed reply, I have to say, your smart assed meter needs to be calibrated again!

If you will read through my last response to you, I stated "Make sure the action is sound, Clean the barrel and wipe it down with oil"  That preserves the patina of the rifle.

Have a good day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Have a good day.

As far as my first reply, you are wrong, I have made a lot of replies in many sections of this website.
** Nobody gives a crap, it was your first uncalled for smart ass reply to me.

So I replied with a smart ass reply to yours so that makes your first reply OK? Stupid logic is stupid.

Yeah, I'm the tough guy. Pot kettle, black. I make one little post....wow

Sure seems I triggered you somehow. Go be miserable somewhere else with your rusty guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Dave, it was probably the little guy laughing on the floor.  It is kind of annoying.  

I'm trying to be a bridge builder I see both of your points.  It's a shame we can't discuss our points without being persnickety.  Ewell, I don't think he meant anything bad by it and his info could potentially save someone that didn't know better from making a costly mistake.  But yes, some people don't care about the actual collector value.  On a gun like the OP posted, I'd be concerned about it though.   I didn't think cleaning would mess up the value but I guess it might depend on how much you actually clean it, or how you do it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dave, it was probably the little guy laughing on the floor.  It is kind of annoying.  
View Quote
JJ,

The statement I made is a very common statement when you go to the collectors shows like I do.  When you acquire a antique weapon that is still in good enough condition to shoot, there is no reason to do anything for vanity sake, it is best to just run a rod down the barrel, check the action and then oil it down.  One thing that makes this rifle somewhat special is it is a depression era rifle and the production during those years was very low and that tends to raised the value of them.  Even without any emotional attachment to the rifle, there is no reason to throw money away.  Oiling it down after a safety cleaning is the safest way to preserve the gun.

I had a good friend, he likes old English doubles and he took steel wool a rifle that in original condition was worth 6 figures and by time he got through with it, remember he was just taking the surface rust off of it., he couldn't get 5 figures for it, he ended up loosing money on that shotgun.  I also buy English shotguns and I only check them for safety and then I oil them down and I still shoot them..

Like I said, even if you don't want to keep it and have no attachment to it, there is no reason to throw money away and with guns, it is way easier than it should be to throw money away.  Removing the rust often leaves pits, pits are an sign that someone has improperly "clean" the gun, just oil it down and let it become part of the patina of the gun, which is really very important to many that collect guns.

If he feels I disrespected him, then I 100% completely apologize, I use the laughing guy in quite a few of my posts.  But being able to dream about the history of a gun and what it has gone through, is very important to most that actually collect guns.

Guns are great and we are all here because we love guns and playing with them.  There are just certain guns, that need a little more research before you run off on a tangent and possible destroy a piece of history.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Sell it as is, or just clean the barrel, oil it and shoot it. I wouldn't do anything more than that.  I have very little interest in collecting, but collectors want it as is. I would see what it is worth and sell it to buy something I want. The only guns I wouldn't sell are family heirlooms. You said it has no sentimental value, so shoot it if you like it or sell it.  Even if you keep it and shoot it, keep it sellable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

JJ,

The statement I made is a very common statement when you go to the collectors shows like I do.  When you acquire a antique weapon that is still in good enough condition to shoot, there is no reason to do anything for vanity sake, it is best to just run a rod down the barrel, check the action and then oil it down.  One thing that makes this rifle somewhat special is it is a depression era rifle and the production during those years was very low and that tends to raised the value of them.  Even without any emotional attachment to the rifle, there is no reason to throw money away.  Oiling it down after a safety cleaning is the safest way to preserve the gun.

I had a good friend, he likes old English doubles and he took steel wool a rifle that in original condition was worth 6 figures and by time he got through with it, remember he was just taking the surface rust off of it., he couldn't get 5 figures for it, he ended up loosing money on that shotgun.  I also buy English shotguns and I only check them for safety and then I oil them down and I still shoot them..

Like I said, even if you don't want to keep it and have no attachment to it, there is no reason to throw money away and with guns, it is way easier than it should be to throw money away.  Removing the rust often leaves pits, pits are an sign that someone has improperly "clean" the gun, just oil it down and let it become part of the patina of the gun, which is really very important to many that collect guns.

If he feels I disrespected him, then I 100% completely apologize, I use the laughing guy in quite a few of my posts.  But being able to dream about the history of a gun and what it has gone through, is very important to most that actually collect guns.

Guns are great and we are all here because we love guns and playing with them.  There are just certain guns, that need a little more research before you run off on a tangent and possible destroy a piece of history.
View Quote
Yes, your input was valuable.  I was just opining as to why he might have been offended.  (referring to the lil character thingy)  I think sometimes people just get rubbed the wrong way or they come across annoyingly.  Cuz someone had a bad day or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Get some Kroil on the receiver to kill the rust & stop it getting worse

Then slug the barrel to find the bore dia., then get a suitable bullet mold & feed it cast bullets.
Enjoy

OR send it to me for long term evaluation
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

....I hope he does a total restoration, that should really set you off.
View Quote

On a serious note, I would leave it as is. It's a pretty gun with age-old character.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I just ended up with another of these 30WCF marked 94's. It's in decent shape, no rust, honest wear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top