Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 11:38:33 AM EDT
Ideally I'd like to find a JM production 336C or 336SC in .30-30 but how do the new ones made in about the last year stack up? Has Remington finally figured out how to make these things yet?

There for a while some of the rifles they were turning out where pretty shoddy
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW there are two hanging up at the local gun shop. Forend fit is about  1/4" or more proud of the rear barrel band on one, on one side. the other had the forend cap, it is also proud even more, on the other. THey don't bother to radius the ends and the wood that is sticking out isn't even treated with a finish. The bluing looks thin there are really bad polishing/buffing marks on the receiver flats, checkering is weak like it was sanded down after it was cut and there are still whiskers on the wood there, and looks like it was only half finished.  The crown on that one is  OPPOSITE of what it should be, the bore is the highest point and it tapers down to the outside diameter The lever screw on one is buggered (I bet they cross threaded the thing!) and the other is a bead blast finished barrel that looks bad enough to be polished cast iron (I know it isn't but still)

Yeah, I wouldnt buy a remlin one. EVER
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a new 336BL four years ago and it has been fine. No blueing, wood, fitment, mechanical and function issues. It shoots fine also.

As with any purchase one should inspect any firearm and look for issues before buying. If a LGS has multiple examples of a model you're interested in I'd look them all over and decide whether you buy one, or pass.

Since then I've picked up a 1895GSBL and it's fine also.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a 1895 45/70 a few months ago. Metal fit is good and none of the gaps or uneven
issues on the wood as they had issues with before. The finish on the wood is not very glossy
but is a non issue really. Barrel is straight, accuracy is good.

I suggest buying one you can see instead of ordering one. That way you can be sure that
it is not an older problem child
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had two. One was a 336w and it was fine. Sold it because I'm dumb. Then this year, I bought a 336SS. It looks and shoots great.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 336Y about two years back. The laminated stock is fine, nothing fancy but I didn't expect it to be for $300. Wood to metal fit was also fine, not perfect but only a few barely high spots on the wood nothing that couldn't be easily fixed if I cared about it. Checked the barrel with a straight edge and it's screwed into the receiver as straight as I can measure so I expect it is fine but I got busy and it became a not so important project gun so it remains unfired.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I've bought three Marlin lever guns over the last few years.  

Two of the three went back to the factory (one would jam and the other shot too high).  One of the two was repaired and sent back to me (took about two months).  The latter (the one that shoots high) will allegedly be replaced.  I sent that rifle in about a month and a half ago but have not been able to get a call back/response from Marlin.

I'll not buy one of their new products ever again.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
The new 336BL I bought 4 yrs ago has a JM stamped barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top