Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 11:42:45 PM EDT
So Bud's has some Marlin lever guns in .45lc that I like.

I "hear" that Marlin has  pulled their act together and are producing some better quality guns now vs a few years ago.

Now I am pretty specific in what I want, I want a Marlin 1894 and I want .45lc. New or used is not important.

Trouble is used are hard to find and bring a lot more money.

I plan to chop the barrel to 16.5" and duracoat the metal so the "value" of the used one doesn't matter to me in terms of finish and chopping the barrel will kill any collector value.

My question is, are the guns Bud's sells the latest production guns, or are they possibly older Remlin's that had issues?

Function is my only priority, fit and finish will be taken care of by me.

Here's what I like to do with my Marlins.

336, 30-30 16.5" bbl Duracoat, XS sights.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a used .45 on there a few weeks ago, good price but it was a Remlin.  Most people will suggest buying from somewhere you can inspect the gun first.  As you know QC really varies with the new ones.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The "NEW" guns still suck!!  Wood is terrible, fit and function of the actions are a joke...actually not a joke just very sad.

this is the reason older JM marked marlins are going for a grand or more!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#3]
45 Colt just started being produced again in the past year. I own a significant number of JM Marlins and a couple REP ones. Couldn't find a good JM in45 Colt so l ordered a new one. I am pleased with the quality and performance.  The new Marlins will never have the demand or value of a JM rifle but I will be long gone before it will have to be sold!

Buy the lever gun and get the mods started!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd want to put my hands on a new Marlin before buying it.  I would have wanted to do the same thing 20 years ago too.  I saw jacked examples back then.  Some of the new Marlins are very nice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered a Marlin 336SS from Bud's back in February. I checked it over real good. It shoots and performs well. The only issue is that the front sight needed to be drifted... Which is a non-issue with me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a New 1895 45/70 a few months ago. It is not bad at all. the finish on the wood
is not very glossy but I have no issue with it at all.

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I was at Sportsmans Warehouse last weekend looking for the very same rifle.  I was looking more towards the 1894 Cowboy Model in 45LC but also wanted to see the standard model.  I saw the Cowboy model on Buds and was thinking of ordering it but wanted to put one in the hands first to look it over.  The two models at Sportsmans were ok but not not really that great either.  I did notice that the wood to metal fit was tight on one side of the forearm but a small gap on the the other side.  This was on the more expensive Cowboy model.

I'm still up in the air about buying one until the quality improves.  I'm not willing to pay the stupid high prices that some are asking for the JM stamped rifles.  I'll buy a new Winchester 1982 before I pay $1000+ for a used lever action.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, I've not purchased a Marlin from buds but I have bought a lot of other brands. It's been my experience that buds cycles guns pretty fast. They run a pretty tight ship and I've never had a problem.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump for more replies.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I've bought three new marlin lever guns over the last few years.  Of the three, one ran fine out of the box.  

One went back for cycling/jamming issues and was fixed.  It runs fine now.  

The second went back because it shot about 18" high at 100 yards, with the rear sight bottomed out.  I sent that rifle back about a month ago with no word or update from Marlin.

As much as I want a 45 Colt lever gun, it will not be a marlin.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Local gun shop has two cowboys in 45 colt. One is excellent and the other is garbage(Big gaps in the wood and an awkwardly heavy trigger).  I wouldn't buy a new Marlin without being able to see it in person before buying, especially given the prices of the new cowboy.  

Humblebrag time: I picked up a 45 colt JM cowboy here in EE last year for only $650 shipped and it is perfect in every way.  I was looking for a 44 for a year or more but unwilling to pay the $1k+ prices.  They are out there if you can wait.  

If you're not set on Marlin, perhaps consider a Rossi 92 - 1/2 the price and readily available so you can find one to fondle before buying.  They also come in 16inch barrel model already, so no time/money neede to shorten it.  If you don't need to mount a scope then a 92 is a great choice.

I agree with the statement about buying a new jap made Winchester before buying a new Marlin sight unseen.  I think the wincheater 92 go for about the same as a new Marlin cowboy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top