Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 5:42:01 PM EDT
Going to have to change out the factory buckhorns... I was thinking about the standard marbles flat top or the marbles bullseye but am a little worried about the sight picture. Also need a good front sight. I don't really care for the tang sights they would be in my way. The reason I was looking at the others is the ease of elevation adjustment via step elevator as I handload and have several different sight settings based on the load I am shooting. Any experience or others I should look at?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
My rifle shipped from Rossi warranty today but this is what I'm putting on the front:

Lyman front sight

And I'm Replacing the rear safety and putting this in its place.

From Steve's Gunz

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Marbles bullseye are great sights, really quick to pick up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently purchased a 16" 44mag Rossi 92 a couple months ago and after all the sight issues, I said screw it and bought the NOE rail with red dot.  I originally ordered williams fire sight front and truglo fiber optic sights shortly after getting the gun.

First problem I instantly noticed was the front sight didn't clear the barrel band therefore could not sit in the dovetail.  I ended up dremeling a bevel for the front sight to clear the band due to its profile. Once I was able to get it to clear of the barrel band it was able to be inserted into the dovetail...with a shim.

Yes, you might find the rossi dovetails are slightly out of spec so you need something to make up the difference.  Now I start digging online and find people with the same problem using "soda can shims".  Basically cut strips of an old soda can.  Rossi Perfection.

Next, the rear dovetail I found was also out of spec. Slightly larger than 3/8".  None of this is acceptable in my world. Frustrated but not giving a damn, I decide to go shoot it.
Note a 44 mag will drift a sight loose that requires shims....

In the end, I boxed them up and threw them into storage and reinstalled the original brass dot front sight.  Then I purchased a NOE picatinny rail which utilizes the 4 hidden tapped holes under the buckhorn.  Currently i have a TRS-25 mounted which serves my purpose of <100 yds.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I love the clean lines and functionality of the Skinner peep sights. Have them on 3 rifles.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, you might find the rossi dovetails are slightly out of spec so you need something to make up the difference.  Now I start digging online and find people with the same problem using "soda can shims".  Basically cut strips of an old soda can.  Rossi Perfection.
View Quote
Actually they aren't our of spec. 

They are cut to a European spec in mm, not in inches as the US rifles are. They are, after all, made in Europe so they are in fact made correctly.  Just because they don't fit American standards doesn't make them wrong.  Marbles makes sights with the dovetail cut in inches and European versions cut in mm.  You just have to get the correct version for your rifle.

Another in the long line of internet bullshit because of ignorance.  A little research into the issue before one runs their mouth and looks stupid is usually a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't know Brazil was in Europe.  Interesting.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Rob
View Quote
Metric is used in both Brazil and Europe. He probably meant European cut in mm instead of 3/8" standard dovetails.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you guys change your front sights? What color is better the green or red fiber?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Metric is used in both Brazil and Europe. He probably meant European cut in mm instead of 3/8" standard dovetails.
View Quote
I think we all know what he meant, but someone on a rant about "ignorant" people and misinformation should be accurate in what they actually say/write.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I put a Nikon 2x pistol scope on my .45 Rossi 16". Working great.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I put XS ghost ring sights on mine to see over a suppressor but can also use a Burris scout scope or Fastfire red dot as needed.

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Ghost ring on the rear and red FO on front.  Works great for me. <20" .45/.454 Casull>
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I just did a simplified setup.

Added the stevesgunz safety rear sight. (Safety didn't work anyway)

And I cut 2 notches below the main dot using a dremel cutting wheel. Then filled in with enamel paint. The notches are holdovers and I can easily hit steel plates at 200 yards.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Rob
View Quote
Dumb on my part.  Good catch on my bad.  I didn't mean Europe, but they are metric cuts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
If you like more traditional looking sights, you can go with a semi-buckhorn rear and brass bead front sight.  This approach is a natural for the carbine.  Here is what I used on my 20" carbine. I really like this setup and I hope this information helps:

20” Carbine:
I got the Marble sights at Brownells:
•    Front -Marble 45-MR 1/16" Gold Front Sight - Marbles p/n 504521, Brownells' p/n. 579-504-521WB
•    Rear - Marble#64 Dovetail Semi-Buckhorn Rear, Short Shank- Brownells' p/n. 579-064-001

For the 24" rifle, you have the choice of barrel mounted sights or also the addition of a tang mounted sight with a fold down rear sight.  I used the tang and fold down rear on my 24” Rifle.

Rossi Sights 24” Rifle:
I got the sights at Brownells:
•   1ea Marbles 45MR 1/16” Brass Bead front sight Marbles p/n 604521, Brownells' p/n. 579-604-521WB
•   Rear - Marble Folding Sporting Rear Sight No. 95 - Brownells' p/n. 579-000-082 (you need a folding one so it doesn't block the tang)
•   Tang - Marble Rossi 1892 Peep Tang Sight - Brownells' p/n. 579-009-807WB (made specifically for your Rossi '92)
•   or Lyman No. 2 1892 Peep Tang Sight – Brownells' p/n. 539-050-002WB (Made for Winchester 1892s)
•   Screws -Marble Peep Tang Sight Screw Set (Rossi) - Brownells' p/n. 579-000-101WB (Marbles p/n 995002, again, specifically for your Rossi '92)

Later, I removed the Marbles front sight and installed a Lyman Globe.  It helped me with my 300yd shooting I do with my rifle.

•   Front - Lyman Globe front sight model 17A - Brownells' p/n. 539-017-444WB (metric dovetail)
•   1ea Lee Shaver Insert Set for Lyman 17A combo card – Brownells' p/n. 781-100-017 (I use the small post)

Note: The Rossi rifles (both 20" short and 24" bbl) are already D&T for the front tang sight screw so all you have to do is screw them on. Use the existing front and rear sight to line the tang sight up, then remove the front sight and use the rear and tang to line the new one up. Finally, remove the rear sight and use the front and tang to line the folding new one up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/52D79BAB-F3DB-46EC-931C-1DAC1C1C43D3_zpskwv3rsy7.jpg

And I cut 2 notches below the main dot. Then filled in with enamel paint. The notches are holdovers and I can easily hit steel plates at 200 yards.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/731F3F5D-3E94-4EFE-AE4D-9FC0B1462566_zpsu2p6s6uv.jpg
View Quote
I like that.  Alot.   I'd love to put one on my rifle but I use it for HD and don't want to mess with the safety.

Right now I have a Marbles bull's-eye with factory front sight.  I like it.  Need to shoot it more.  

Had a Lyman tang on it.  The sight shot loose and I chucked it all in a box.  One day I'll go back to it.  It literally fell apart on the firing line.  Had to d&t the tang but it wasn't hard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like that.  Alot.   I'd love to put one on my rifle but I use it for HD and don't want to mess with the safety.

Right now I have a Marbles bull's-eye with factory front sight.  I like it.  Need to shoot it more.  

Had a Lyman tang on it.  The sight shot loose and I chucked it all in a box.  One day I'll go back to it.  It literally fell apart on the firing line.  Had to d&t the tang but it wasn't hard.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/52D79BAB-F3DB-46EC-931C-1DAC1C1C43D3_zpskwv3rsy7.jpg

And I cut 2 notches below the main dot. Then filled in with enamel paint. The notches are holdovers and I can easily hit steel plates at 200 yards.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/rabidus_/731F3F5D-3E94-4EFE-AE4D-9FC0B1462566_zpsu2p6s6uv.jpg

Remember you can drop the hammer to 1/2 cock and it will not fire. You would have to manually cock the hammer back to fire. Might be easier in a dark setting as your thumb can cock the hammer in a ready position where as the manual safety is on top and you would have to move your firing hand off the rifle to disengage the safety.

Or leave the chamber empty and chamber a round if it's 'fo time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Remember you can drop the hammer to 1/2 cock and it will not fire. You would have to manually cock the hammer back to fire. Might be easier in a dark setting as your thumb can cock the hammer in a ready position where as the manual safety is on top and you would have to move your firing hand off the rifle to disengage the safety.

Or leave the chamber empty and chamber a round if it's 'fo time.
View Quote
That's what I do.  I'm more concerned about the modification of the safety.   I live in CT. I'm already looked down upon by defending myself
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glad I subscribed to this thread.  That is damn nice work right there!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top