Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 1:21:01 PM EDT
I picked up a new Marlin 336Y last weekend.  Fit and finish is pretty darned good. There are no huge gaps between the buttstock and receiver.  

The finish is either bead blasted bluing or it is parkerized.....to be honest, it looks/feels like a parkerized finish.

The wood is of the laminate variety (appears to be anyway).  The wood is very smooth and well finished.

The action is stiff, but cycles well.  The trigger is pretty darned heavy, but usable.

I took the rifle to the range yesterday and attempted to get the iron sights zeroed.  Here is where I ran into trouble.  I was having trouble getting onto paper at 25 yards.  I soon discovered the rifle was shooting way high.  Eventually I determined the rifle shoots approx. 12" high at 100 yards with the rear sight bottomed all the way out and while firing 150 grain factory ammo.  

Which brings me to my question:  should I pick up a taller front sight from Skinner, pick up a peep/front sight combo from Skinner, or pick up an XS front sight/rear sight/rail combo?  Other than the simple satisfaction of owning the rifle because I wanted it, I'll use the rifle for hunting and as a self defense/camp rifle.  I'd like to mount a small red dot to the top of the receiver/barrel at some point, but I want the iron sights to be "on".  All that being said, would you go for the skinner sights (which limits my ability to mount a red dot, but will fix my shooting high issue) or go with the XS sight/rail combo (which might not fix my shooting high issue).

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Please delete, thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top