Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 11:38:36 AM EDT
Looking at these two rifles The marlin is about 40-50 less than the Henry.
Marlin is gate loaded
6.5 pounds
1:38 Twist
20" Ballard rifling

Henry is tube loaded
7 pounds
1:16 twist
20"

Any thoughts on these or experiences?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not buy a new Marlin unless you see it in person first.  

As long as you don't get a lemon either will work great if it otherwise meets your needs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets add internet sale and might be used for taking of deer every  once in a blue moon
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Marlins and Rossi's are garbage at the moment, Winchesters are too expensive.

Henry really could capture the lever gun market right now if they would simply add a loading gate.

[edit] OP.

Henry's can't be run hard. However, for hunting and occasional plinking, I'd suggest a Henry BBS.

Loading gate won't be an issue as you have plenty of rounds in the tube for hunting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both in 45LC, the Henry in blued steel and the new Remlin 1894 in 20" round barrel. A majority of my Marlin's are JM but I do have a few REP ones as well.

They really are two different rifles, the Henry is a little heavier and loads through the tube. I have no issues with this as I grew up hunting with a tube loaded 22LR and have both the Marlin 39a and 60. The Henry shoots straight and the action is smooth right from inception.

The JM Marlin in 45LC was a bucket gun for me and the only one I ever found used had a 24" octagon barrel and a rough looking action/chamber and was north of $1100. When Remlin offered this caliber earlier this year I jumped on it. Overall construction is good, action is smooth, and wood fit/sights are all good.

Both have good capacity and are manageable from a recoil standpoint. Since they both hold 10, the tube load is not an issue and honestly I pinch my fingers using a loading gate regardless of the mfg. Having 11 rounds means I don't need any rounds in my pocket so reloading in the field would be a non issue.

If I had to choose only one I would pick the Henry as the rifle shoots so naturally for me. To be honest if I had purchased a JM 1894 in 45LC my mind would probably tell me the Marlin is better!

I am glad I have both and if leaving in an hour to go out into the woods or pasture I would be comfortable taking either.

Enjoy whichever you choose!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#5]
If you plan on running it hard don't get the henry they wont hold up.
I have several of the rimfire Henry's they are nice but heavy.
I personally wouldn't buy a centerfire without a loading gate, I have a rossi and had to send it back to be fixed but it seems good now.

I also have a new Marlin in 45/70 it's a good rifle
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
When I recently picked up a new Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt from my transfer ffl guy he also had a Henry for another customer.  It was a 22 but the polished Brass receiver looked very, very nice.  Didn't play with it since it was not mine.

My new Marlin is much nicer that my mid-80's 44 Mag Marlin.  The wood, checkering, and metal finish is great  After cleaning and lube per the manual, it feeds, chambers, and ejects like greased lightning.  If they bring back the .357 version I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I normally wouldn't bother to respond, but when I read the post about the Henry "not holding up" if it "run hard"...I just had to laugh...I've got both JM Marlin 1894s (yeah, 357/44/45C) and I have a new Big Boy Steel in 357...maybe that poster had never held or seen a steel Henry 357..but the thing is built like a tank..the bolt is more like a 336 than a 1894..its heavier and it shoots great right out of the box...I still shoot some competitions...the Marlin Cowboy in 45C has been the go to in the past..I'm gonna start using the Henry at the next shoot.. your mileage may vary...PS: the 1894 in 357 is 1/38 twist while the Henry is 1/16...the same as my S&Ws.. shrps74
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
A guy at the range had a brand new Henry BBS 45lc. First time out. He offered me 5 rounds. (who am I to refuse) The thing is a pussy cat, hardly any recoil. And shot very well. Smooth as butter.
I have a BBBrass in .357. Very smooth action. 38 feels like a .22, .357 is less than an AR. Very fun to shoot.
I have not shot a Remlin 1894 in 45lc, but I would imagine it is a pussy cat like the Henry.
I have a Remlin 1894 in .44 mag. .44 Special and .44 Cowboy have almost no recoil. But .44 mag is a thumper. I had to put on a limbsaver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top