Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2017 10:01:58 PM EDT
Rossi 92 just back from the factory and have been looking to work up some loads for it. I see lots of people say don't shoot 38 specials it will cause a carbon ring in the chamber and 357 won't function, also people claim that the shorter cases cause chamber erosion?
I mean the rifle is stamped 38/357? Wouldn't the carbon ring be removed with a chamber brush? Is this legit or just internet bs?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd just load light .357 Mag.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Historically, cheap .38 reloads could be bought with soft lead, wax-lube bullets.

Really splooged-up the chamber.

Yes, the chambers could be de-splooged with enough solvent and elbow grease. But,the cheap bastards who liked to buy that sort of ammo wouldn't clean the guns worth crap. So, their guns tied-up when they shot the longer ammo.

You can still handload sploogey .38 special, but it's much more rare over the counter at ranges.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd just load light .357 Mag.
View Quote
This is an option also but mag brass is a lot more expensive
I have 38 brass running out my ears
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, shooting 38spl will cause a carbon ring that a good scrubbing will remove. You might have trouble chambering 357's after a bunch of 38's have been fired without first cleaning out the carbon ring. Chamber erosion from shooting 38's, it's going to take a lot of shooting to see any measurable erosion...

The better reason to load 38spl charges into 357 cases is for better feeding. If your rifle doesn't mind the shorter OAL of 38's then use the cheaper brass if you like.

Myself, unless the gun is chambered for 38 or 44spl, I always use the longer 357/44m cases for optimum feeding and load as light or hot as I want.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Never hurt mine.  S&W and Ruger .357's have had a lot of .38's through them in past years.

Just clean them after every shooting trip.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Mix a 50/50 Kroil/Hoppes 9 solution and allow it to soak in your chamber for a day or two. Then use a .40 cal bronze brush and scrape the chamber clean.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, how long was your gun at Rossi?

I called yesterday in regards to mine and they said they are on schedule for revolvers and rifles and behind schedule for semi auto pistols.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, how long was your gun at Rossi?

I called yesterday in regards to mine and they said they are on schedule for revolvers and rifles and behind schedule for semi auto pistols.
View Quote
5 months...

I had to call every couple of days or I fear it would have been longer. Back around November they told me only 1 guy was working on long guns
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

5 months...

I had to call every couple of days or I fear it would have been longer. Back around November they told me only 1 guy was working on long guns
View Quote
Crap.

My barrel chamber was oversized so they need to replace the barrel and headspace.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crap.

My barrel chamber was oversized so they need to replace the barrel and headspace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 months...

Crap.

Is yours a round barrel?
Mine was an octagon and after 5 months I called one day and they said it couldn't  be repaired so I could pick a replacement rifle but they had discontinued the octagon models. So I chose a 20" round barrel and it was on backorder. I called again and they said no eta on when they would get them in they had no idea. I called a week or so later and the guy says well they were able to repair your original rifle after all so it will ship out tomorrow. It's been a heck of an ordeal when I was quoted 4-6 weeks
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is yours a round barrel?
Mine was an octagon and after 5 months I called one day and they said it couldn't  be repaired so I could pick a replacement rifle but they had discontinued the octagon models. So I chose a 20" round barrel and it was on backorder. I called again and they said no eta on when they would get them in they had no idea. I called a week or so later and the guy says well they were able to repair your original rifle after all so it will ship out tomorrow. It's been a heck of an ordeal when I was quoted 4-6 weeks
View Quote
Mine is the round barrel.

The Rossi rep also said if they are out of stock on parts then they have to be shipped from Brazil and it can take time.

I'll know in 2 weeks as I'm 4 weeks in. They also quoted me 4-6 weeks.

If Henry's had a loading gate I'd not be in this pickle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like they have become100% Taurus.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The carbon ring isn't really a big deal.  An occasional cleaning keeps it from building up or you can just do the following when you get enough that it bugs you.

If you reload, or know some who does, just take a resized .357 case and put enough bell on the case to where you can just get it into the chamber.

Fully seat the case and it will scrape 90% plus of the carbon out.  A little brushing will take care of the rest.

Helps if you chamfer the case inside and out before belling to give the case mouth a sharpish edge.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I would also like to add. The thought of a chamber ring from shooting 38s in a 357 Mag chamber also came from
A time when a lot of lead bullets were being used. So you could get lead build up.
Less of an issue with jacketed bullets.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The carbon ring isn't really a big deal.  An occasional cleaning keeps it from building up or you can just do the following when you get enough that it bugs you.

If you reload, or know some who does, just take a resized .357 case and put enough bell on the case to where you can just get it into the chamber.

Fully seat the case and it will scrape 90% plus of the carbon out.  A little brushing will take care of the rest.

Helps if you chamfer the case inside and out before belling to give the case mouth a sharpish edge.  

Cool I do reload so I will try that
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would also like to add. The thought of a chamber ring from shooting 38s in a 357 Mag chamber also came from
A time when a lot of lead bullets were being used. So you could get lead build up.
Less of an issue with jacketed bullets.  
View Quote
Good to hear, I usually use plated bullets that have no exposed lead
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mine is the round barrel.

The Rossi rep also said if they are out of stock on parts then they have to be shipped from Brazil and it can take time.

I'll know in 2 weeks as I'm 4 weeks in. They also quoted me 4-6 weeks.

If Henry's had a loading gate I'd not be in this pickle.
View Quote
I know what you mean I can't stand that loading system and Henry makes some nice rifles but the octagon model I looked at was heaaaavy
I also read a lot of complaints from the cowboy action crowd that said nobody brings a Henry more than once apparently they will not hold up when run hard at a match
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I talked to Henry's pres, Mr. Imperato, when they were developing the big boy rifle and came out to Colorado to visit a Cowboy Action shoot with some drawings and pictures of the prototype 357mag version.  A few of us asked him why they didn't add a side loading gate.  He gave a strange answer about something to do with a patent, however, he agreed that the patent on the gate expired decades ago so there was no issue there.  He asked us if we thought it was a big deal and I and some others said it was a deal breaker.  He didn't seem concerned which puzzled us as reloading through the gate is faster than through the tube.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I talked to Henry's pres, Mr. Imperato, when they were developing the big boy rifle and came out to Colorado to visit a Cowboy Action shoot with some drawings and pictures of the prototype 357mag version.  A few of us asked him why they didn't add a side loading gate.  He gave a strange answer about something to do with a patent, however, he agreed that the patent on the gate expired decades ago so there was no issue there.  He asked us if we thought it was a big deal and I and some others said it was a deal breaker.  He didn't seem concerned which puzzled us as reloading through the gate is faster than through the tube.
View Quote
I also don't like my hand near the muzzle to load.

He seems he did not want to be bothered with changing his design.

I would love a Henry steel in .357/.44 mag with a side loading gate.

They are heavy. I'm not a coyboy shooter. If heavy= reliable then that's a fine tradeoff for me, plus a heavier shooter will be easier on the kids.

If enough people wrote to Henry with the same concern, they would eventually listen?

Henry just made a pretty cool lever action with a detachable mag and they shoot centerfire.

So, why not make a loading gate?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#21]
To add a leading gate a number of parts would have to be redesigned, you can't really just add it without changing anything.  

Also I just cleaned a 44 Marlin that I have been shooting lots of 44spl through.  Significant carbon ring in the chamber.  Took a 1/4 inch piece of copper wire, hammered tip flat, and bent the flat tip 90deg and used it like a scraper to get the carbon ring.  Worked great and took maybe 5 min.  I had shot over 200rd of lead special and mag brass was getting hard to extract after firing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top