Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2017 7:40:29 PM EDT
I have Model 94 Trapper in .30-30 that I bought new in about 1981.  It might perhaps have 20 rounds through it, looks new.  Can anyone tell me what it might be worth?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I would pay $350-400..for a nice used one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  ^^^^^^^

FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Might want to check gunbroker.com
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know they can go for significantly more. But I seen one a few months back at a local gunshow for $400.00 . I thought that's was a good deal .
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The post 63 Winchesters don't get any collector attention, but the values being thrown around here are low for near mint condition 1981 Model 94 Trapper are very low.

1. The AE came out in 1982, and that change was preceded slightly by the rebounding hammer.  If this particular Model 94 has the original quarter cock notch, then it represents the last of the old style pre-rebounding hammer, pre-AE, pre-safety Model 94s, and they are rising in desirability and value as shooters, if not as collectors.

2. The 16" Trapper model was less numerous than the 20" carbine, and that itself commands a premium.

3. XTRs from that era in like new condition are selling in the $1200 range and that places an upper limit on what a standard model would bring.

Still, for a like new 1981 Trapper model, you're looking at around $800 as a fair market price.    A local gun shop will only offer you about half that ($400) and if you need to move it quickly in an on-line auction (or at a gun show to a non dealer) you're probably looking at 80% of that - $650 or so.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The post 63 Winchesters don't get any collector attention, but the values being thrown around here are low for near mint condition 1981 Model 94 Trapper are very low.

1. The AE came out in 1982, and that change was preceded slightly by the rebounding hammer.  If this particular Model 94 has the original quarter cock notch, then it represents the last of the old style pre-rebounding hammer, pre-AE, pre-safety Model 94s, and they are rising in desirability and value as shooters, if not as collectors.

2. The 16" Trapper model was less numerous than the 20" carbine, and that itself commands a premium.

3. XTRs from that era in like new condition are selling in the $1200 range and that places an upper limit on what a standard model would bring.

Still, for a like new 1981 Trapper model, you're looking at around $800 as a fair market price.    A local gun shop will only offer you about half that ($400) and if you need to move it quickly in an on-line auction (or at a gun show to a non dealer) you're probably looking at 80% of that - $650 or so.
View Quote

Thank you.  I checked and the serial number actually dates to 1979.  I guess I better recalculate my insurance!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I spotted one on GB for $450 about three years ago, and emailed the link to my buddy who'd been looking for one. He jumped on it immediately, because we both agreed we'd seen them sell for considerably more.

It's a great little shooter. I regret not getting one back when they were <$300 and still being made new.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I have owned a couple and purchased both used for $300 or less.  They have gone up some since then and I would like another but $600 would be my limit and that better be like new in the box.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Haven't been hitting the gun shows as much as I used to, but seem to recall them going for around 500 and up.  Always seem higher here than the reports I see from others on the forum.  I've been wanting one for awhile now,  but trappers are less common to find.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's pre-AE it'll have the unpopular cast receiver. I also have one from 1979 and have never been offered what I have into it money wise but it's a very handy truck gun out here in the boonies. The unfortunate thing with these receivers is that the finish flakes off and they can't be reblued. That doesnt concern me as mine is a user but it's considered a lower grade rifle by Winchester collectors.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
The last 30-30 trapper I bought was two years ago, I paid $375 for a beater truck gun.  Pawn shops are your friend.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry inadvance for the hijack. But what would that gun be valued with the crappy side safety in 44MAG?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it's pre-AE it'll have the unpopular cast receiver. I also have one from 1979 and have never been offered what I have into it money wise but it's a very handy truck gun out here in the boonies. The unfortunate thing with these receivers is that the finish flakes off and they can't be reblued. That doesnt concern me as mine is a user but it's considered a lower grade rifle by Winchester collectors.
View Quote
That not exactly the case.

First, the post 1963 Model 94 receivers were sinter forged, rather than cast. In the sinter forging process powdered steel is used to fill a mold and then forged under intense heat and pressure to create a solid piece of steel. The advantages are that the process gives very tight control over the quality and consistency of the alloy, and it produces a part that is close to final dimension and requires less milling.  

The forging process is not problem with re-bluing a Model 94 from this time period.  The problem is that they used a high percentage of chromium in the steel, and it requires a different approach to "bluing".  Winchester used three different processes between 1964 and 1981:

Years...........Serial number range.......Process
1964-1968,  2,700,000 - 3,185,691,  Du-Lite 3-0 Process
1968-1972,  3,185,692 - 3,806,499,  Black Chrome Plate
1972-1981,  3,806,500 - 5,024,957,  Win Blue/Oxiblak

The receivers made from 1964-1968 can still be re-blued using the Du-lite 3-0 process with no heroic efforts required.  The only problem is that a gun smith may not want to set up a bluing tank specifically for this process.  If a regular salt blue process is used, you end up with a plum purple looking receiver.

The receivers made from 1968 to 1972 were black chrome plates, so when they are polished in preparation for bluing all the chrome plate has to be removed, and then you end up with the same purple color, unless you use the Du-Lite 3-0 process.

The 1972-81 receivers are the ones where you usually see a mottled black and purple finish if a regular salt blue is used.  That's because the polishing process removes some of the iron plating but not all of it.  But, the good news is that these refinish quite well with the Du-Lite 3-0 process.

And of course if it's a shooter, you can always just Ceracote the receiver.  

----

I agree with you though that collectors look down everything that is not a pre-64 Winchester.   Shooters however do tend to regard the post 64, but pre- rebounding hammer, pre AE Model 64s rather highly as they are excellent shooters that have classic operation without rebounding hammers, side, or tang safeties, and instead just have the classic quarter cock notch and grip safety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top