Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2017 12:02:53 AM EDT
I have a steel big boy .357 that I want to take down to 16in
I do realize they now make a 16in barrel but it looks like shit with the shorter mag tube.
Besides I like my current rifle just not the 20in barrel.
    I looks pretty straight forward but I wanted to see if anyone has done it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sadly, this forum doesn't get the same love as other forums. I got the 20 incher and had it threaded.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, did you ever find anyone to chop your barrel?  Interested to see the results
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sadly, this forum doesn't get the same love as other forums. I got the 20 incher and had it threaded.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289111/IMG-0631-172546.JPG
View Quote
I am thinking of doing something similar in a SBR format.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:18:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have any suggestions on who I should send my 20" Marlin 336 to get the barrel and mag tube chopped? I want to get the barrel cut down to 16.25". Looking around online I have found a couple of places but they seem to want you to buy their $3200 upgrade package. I'm sure their work is exceptional but I am building a truck gun. Is the process really that hard or could a local gunsmith probably do it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone have any suggestions on who I should send my 20" Marlin 336 to get the barrel and mag tube chopped? I want to get the barrel cut down to 16.25". Looking around online I have found a couple of places but they seem to want you to buy their $3200 upgrade package. I'm sure their work is exceptional but I am building a truck gun. Is the process really that hard or could a local gunsmith probably do it?
View Quote
If it was Grizzly then forget about them and check out Ranger Point Precision instead.  They won't try to upsell you on something you don't need or want.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If it was Grizzly then forget about them and check out Ranger Point Precision instead.  They won't try to upsell you on something you don't need or want.
View Quote
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow my smith charged me $80.00 five years ago to cut a Marlin.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Expect $200-300 to shorten and thread.  you have to thread the barrel, but also shorten the mag tube, move the barrel band or mag tube dovetail back, and move the sight back.  Some guns are easier than other depending on the position of those parts.  

the brass magazine spring on Henry's is a problem also, not sure if it's feasible to even shorten them?  Henry parts are cheap though, they'll sell you a shorter one if you need it.

Check for Morgan from class iii machining, he will be about as cheap as you'll find for quality work and he's fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top