I've had the old 45-70 in for 6 or 8 months now and here's what I've found:

Pros:
-for a 45-70 it shoots softly due to weight
-accepts Weaver 63B mounts
-More accurate than I expected
-smooth lever function
-the receiver and wood are beautifully finished

Cons:
-IMO, if you want to reach out accurately you will need an optic due to the factory sights.

Full review:

Henry 45-70! Color Case Hardened Lever Gun Beauty (HD)
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Re sights.  "You" may need optics.  I do now.  But when I was younger I didn't.  Sight configuration is a highly subjective area.

I've seen benchrest guys do things with iron sights that most can't do with the best optics and a solid machine rest.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Re sights.  "You" may need optics.  I do now.  But when I was younger I didn't.  Sight configuration is a highly subjective area.

I've seen benchrest guys do things with iron sights that most can't do with the best optics and a solid machine rest.
View Quote

That would be very impressive with semi-buckhorn sights.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Good looking rifle. Well done OP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The receiver colors in the pic are better than the Turnbull pics I've seen.  The only thing I have against the Henry is the lack of loading gate.  My Marlin 39 (no A) has the same handicap.  Great guns otherwise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top