Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2017 6:07:11 PM EDT
My neighbor asked me to take a look at and reassemble an old Marlin 39 that he inherited.

The rifle is obviously OLD. It has a 4 digit serial number and my research seems to point to manufacture in 1885 between 1922-1932.

Anyone have any experience with these particular rifles? Besides its obvious age, is this thing a collectable?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my High School buddies had a 39A, but I never saw a 39 that I know of.

What would you like confirmed or denied?

If it is a Marlin and marked as a Model 39, that's likely what it is.

Nice rifles, but very heavy for a .22 rimfire.

When you say "reassemble" is it a takedown model, or just taken apart?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It was taken apart. Stock, barrel assembly, and the bolt was taken out. He is not familiar with firearms so he opted to have me put it back together.

The firearm is only marked "Marlin Model 39." Under the lever is a 4 digit serial number starting with 8 and ending in 7. It has a ~23" inch octagonal barrel. I'm hoping someone may have some information on dating these particular rifles.

He seems to have lost the firing pin after taking it apart, so I advised him he will need to order a new one. I reassembled the rifle but the lever will not bring the bolt rearward. Marlin forums seem to suggest that this could be a result of the missing firing pin. I won't know for sure until he reorders the part and I install it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
What does the upper tail of the lever bear on to retract the bolt?

ETA: I think you should read this before anybody shoots it.

Marlin Model 39.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Not 100% sure of your question? Sorry.

He has shot the rifle many times before and it has been fired a lot in the past by his family. That article confirms my suspicion that he shouldn't be using "full power" loads in this thing, merely due to its age. I was going to suggest some 22 Shorts if he absolutely must continue to use it.

My advice to him earlier was: "Go buy a $150 new rifle and hang this thing above your fireplace."
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My advice to him earlier was: "Go buy a $150 new rifle and hang this thing above your fireplace."
View Quote

Good advice, I think.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Per Marlin this Model 39 was produced between 1922-1932.

Per Wisner's Inc. the firing pin in the Model 39 was the same until 1972 when it was changed to a new design.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
39 is collectable as it is the oldest firearm design to be in continuous production. Annie Oakley made the 39 famous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top