Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2017 10:18:32 PM EDT
Picked up a Large Loop 94 today and its in rough shape so I figured I'd work it over a bit with a little help (cerakote) from the LGS. Will be updating as progress is made! Initial picture doesn't really look that bad but in person it's pretty rough. Any suggestions????

BEFORE

AFTER

MIDWAY THROUGH THE STOCK FINISHING

Finished!!!!

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you have to pay a premium for the Thrown Down The Driveway Battle Field Pick Up look?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you have to pay a premium for the Thrown Down The Driveway Battle Field Pick Up look?
View Quote

I didn't, actually got into it for about $400! Think that's a pretty fair deal!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this the one with the nifty rebounding hammer, the Hillary Clinton safety, and the damned thing under the lever which makes you jam the lever up hard against the stock?

Last I knew a new one was $1,000, and I passed.

If it is an older one, good choice.

What caliber?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't look that rough to me.  They're good rifles. I've shot the hell out of mine, which is almost identical to yours, and if some asshole kidnapped it I'd pay $400 ransom for it. That's one way of valuing a rifle...
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is this the one with the nifty rebounding hammer, the Hillary Clinton safety, and the damned thing under the lever which makes you jam the lever up hard against the stock?

Last I knew a new one was $1,000, and I passed.

If it is an older one, good choice.

What caliber?
View Quote

I dont have experience with the AE models but are you talking about the trigger block that has been on all 94's since sometime before serial #1500?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I dont have experience with the AE models but are you talking about the trigger block that has been on all 94's since sometime before serial #1500?
View Quote

Don't know. This was a few years ago, and I think the one I looked at was one of the ones manufactured in Japan by Miroku.

Since, as I said, it had all the lawyer bullshit on it, so I wasn't interested.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Mahovsky hard chrome is the best finish out there:

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Doesn't look that rough to me.  They're good rifles. I've shot the hell out of mine, which is almost identical to yours, and if some asshole kidnapped it I'd pay $400 ransom for it. That's one way of valuing a rifle...
View Quote

As I said, picture doesn't really show how bad it is. Will try to get some better ones but I looks like it spent some time driving nails. Truly is "beat to hell."

That hard chrome looks good!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't know. This was a few years ago, and I think the one I looked at was one of the ones manufactured in Japan by Miroku.

Since, as I said, it had all the lawyer bullshit on it, so I wasn't interested.
View Quote

If it was indeed a Miroku you should have checked it out closer they make a very fine gun. Some USRAC guns had trouble I understand but of the 3 Miroku/Winchester guns I have I haven't had one issue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If it was indeed a Miroku you should have checked it out closer they make a very fine gun. Some USRAC guns had trouble I understand but of the 3 Miroku/Winchester guns I have I haven't had one issue.
View Quote

I'm sure they do, but there was no way I would pay $1,000 for a lawyered-up lever action.

Being a peasant, I am quite happy with my 20" Rossi '92 in .44 Magnum.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Got it all torn down. Barrel, mag tube, & Receiver are off to get coated. Currently trying to get the stock stripped down. Whatever Winchester used as the final coat for the stock is one tough product, 2 coats of citistrip so far and it's barely pulling that stuff off. May have to spend some time handing sanding it! Have some windshield time this weekend so may have the wife drive while I do that. Ordered an XS rear sight and an XS scout rail (also being coated) and on the prowl for some type of red dot! Going to go for the ultimate brush gun!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I love beat up '94's.  I have several.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Stock is turning out ok. Like I said it had a really good coating on it that was tough to get off. Still have some coats of Tru Oil to do but it already looks 1000% better than before!

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#14]
It's done!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Was there any pitting on the metal?  I bought a 94 awhile back for $200 and it's got pitting on the receiver and barrel.  Didn't know if Cerakote would fill the pitting.  
Also, what did you do to for refinishing the stock?  It looks great.  Just ting oil?

I may leave my old beat up Model 94 just like it is, looks kind of cool, but then I'll think I should refinish it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#16]
When I use Tru Oil I coat liberally for the first few coats. Sanding lightly in between coats with 600 grt paper.
After the first three coats And no more bumps in the dried oil. I'll buff vigorously with a terry cloth towel befor every lite
Coat of oil. One in the morning and One in the evening for a week.  You can never have too many coats of oil.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one from GB last year for 340.00. it was 99.5% and made in New Haven in 01-02. The quality is so much better than the Rossi's. I lucked out last month and traded for 94/22 made is ,1975. Winchester makes some nice guns.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Was there any pitting on the metal?  I bought a 94 awhile back for $200 and it's got pitting on the receiver and barrel.  Didn't know if Cerakote would fill the pitting.  
Also, what did you do to for refinishing the stock?  It looks great.  Just ting oil?

I may leave my old beat up Model 94 just like it is, looks kind of cool, but then I'll think I should refinish it.
View Quote

Took it down to an unfinished look and stained with a really dark stain. Then I did tung oil (6 coats with steel wool or 400 grit between each coat).
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#19]
End result looks real nice !
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
End result looks real nice !
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Kind of reminds me of my Sears 54 (a "mostly" Winchester 94).  A combination of Cerakote and Duracoat.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top