Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 5:32:15 PM EDT
My trifecta is now completed.  The 1894c 357 Mag and the 1894 44 Mag were needing a middle brother, the 41 Magnum 1894S.  

I really wasn't looking, but one came up locally for a decent price.  First one I've come across since I got my 41 Mag Blackhawk 2 years ago.  It seems that while both are rare, the 1894S 41 Mag is even more rare than the 1894FG in 41 mag.  I love a straight stock rifle, too, so I had to jump while the iron was hot.  This one came with a Williams receiver sight installed too.  It all but cried out to me.  I couldn't help but buy it.

It was an accident.  Now I'm off to sell some plasma or something.

Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I've always been intrigued by the .41 Magnum. Never knew there was a rifle in that caliber.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice looking well cared for rifle.   Looks like you scored big time.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a very clean rifle.  Blueing doesn't have a scratch on it.  Not bad for a 33 year old rifle.

From what I can tell, Marlin made a run of 1894S 41 mag rifles in 1984, and another run in 1987.  I read somewhere that less than 4,000 rifles were made.

In the 2000s, Marlin made another "pistol grip" model (with the curved grip, not the straight stock), the 1894FG in 41 Magnum.  I am not sure how many rifles were made in this configuration, but I think there were more of these than the 1894S.

The only other option for a 41 Magnum lever action rifle that I am aware of is a Henry Big Boy.  They started chambering in 41 Magnum in 2016.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#4]
 Yo gringo...dis gun...she's ill-eagle in your state...please geev her to me for safekeeping....
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome find
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm insanely jealous! .41 Magnum is my favorite revolver caliber and tied with 10mm as my favorite handgun caliber. I had a pre-1970 Smith & Wesson 57 with an 8 3/8" barrel years back that I absolutely loved. I will own one again someday, but probably a 4" model for concealed carry.

This is a really nice find and I'd love to own one myself someday. The .41 Magnum is a totally underrated cartridge. You get nearly the muzzle energy of the .44 with lighter recoil and flatter trajectory. In a rifle I'm sure it'll really shine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
You're lucky I had to settle for the Henry, I'm not paying stupid prices for a Marlin.

Looks good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I know a guy who has one of those.  Uses it for lever gun silhouette matches.  Neat gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats on completing your Trio.  Mine was made in 87' and I picked it up NIB in 88'.  Gave a NIB CZ75 pre B for it then ($275 IIRC)   Marlin has made several other smaller runs of .41s such as octogonal Cowboys, stainless steel etc.  I also installed a Williams receiver sight on it and take out the small apeture when hunting for a ghost ring.

Here's my .41 collection.  Hardly ever fire jacketed bullets out of them as I have 3-4 different molds ranging from 195gr SWC to 255gr WFN (actually weigh 269 grs and designed specifically for the Marlin).

Long live the .41!
CD
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on completing your Trio.  Mine was made in 87' and I picked it up NIB in 88'.  Gave a NIB CZ75 pre B for it then ($275 IIRC)   Marlin has made several other smaller runs of .41s such as octogonal Cowboys, stainless steel etc.  I also installed a Williams receiver sight on it and take out the small apeture when hunting for a ghost ring.

Here's my .41 collection.  Hardly ever fire jacketed bullets out of them as I have 3-4 different molds ranging from 195gr SWC to 255gr WFN (actually weigh 269 grs and designed specifically for the Marlin).
Long live the .41!
CD
View Quote

That's an awesome collection!  With the receiver sights, your rifle looks exactly like mine except for the different sling.  I have one RCBS 215 SWC mold for the 41s, but have a stockpile of 800 Hornady XTPs that I got for $7/100 a few months ago.  I'll be loading and shooting them in the Blackhawk and the Marlin until they run out.  I'm keeping an eye out for a WFN mold like you mentioned; who made yours?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Mold is a custom LEE 6 banger for Ranch Dog TL411-255 RF.  His last run was a gas check version and been renamed TLC411-265 RF.

Ranch Dog Outdoors

CD
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome find. Probably the most perfect handgun cartridge. It's a shame that it isn't more popular.

CSB: The father of one of my buddies had all three as well. When he died, the stepmother gave him and his brother their choice of his guns before liquidating. The .41 was missing and they swear they don't remember it being in his collection. They're not big gun guys though. I do remember their father showing it to me when I was in my early teens and I remember that being the first I had ever heard of the .41 magnum. Make sure you keep an accurate list in your safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top