Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2017 12:59:55 PM EDT
Hello

I have an old Marlin 30-30 that was given to me several years back. Its not super old maybe late 90s. Anyway I threw it in the back of a closet and literally forgot about it. Well I have an "extra" 30 cal suppressor that the stamp will be coming in on any day now. I was trying to think what to put it on then I remembered the 30-30 I have. So I get it out of the closet and its covered in surface rust.  No deep pitting or anything but it is covered.  When I got it it was used but not abused, typical "carrying in the woods" wear and tear on it. So I would like to find a smith that can shorten the barrel to 16" and thread/crown for my silencer and also clean the gun up and refinish it. I don't think it needs re-barreled. Maybe smooth up the action while they are at it. I am not wanting a show gun when done, it will get plenty of use. I have been googling it and haven't really found someone or the smiths I do find aren't taking work right now, etc..

suggestions?

thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the gunsmithing section in the EE and look for Class III machining, or just google it.  I just sent a couple lever guns to them including a Marlin 45-70 and a Rossi 357.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I'd cerakote it.  If you will be taking it into the woods, something besides bluing might serve you better.....as far as coatings are concerned.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
BRONZE wool and oil.  Lightly rub of any surface rust.  The harder you work,  if you work right, it won't take any remaining bluing off.  Cold blue to touch up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly, I'd cerakote it.  If you will be taking it into the woods, something besides bluing might serve you better.....as far as coatings are concerned.
View Quote

This.

I'm assuming this is a Marlin 336?

Cerakote the entire thing in Armor Black, especially if you are planning to keep putting it to good use.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:29:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had good luck cleaning up extensive surface rust on several guns. I use 0000 fine steel wool and transmission fluid it has excellent anti corrosion properties. Just be patient and it will turn out nice. I put the ATF on with a toothbrush and scrub it in and wipe with a rag for the first few applications. That will remove about half of it. ATF on the steel wool will remove the rest of the rust and polishes the bluing as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top