Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 5:31:34 PM EDT
I have been looking at a new 45-70 but read a lot of bad reviews on their craftsmanship. Can anyone chime in?
thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
 Marlin and Remington are not what they once were.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Even late JM guns were hit or miss. I had some Remlins that were fine too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a 336 BL for 4 years, and a 1895 GSBL for a year and both have been fine.  No manufacturing or operating flaws. Both run 100%.

As with any firearm you should check out first-hand whatever you're wanting to buy, or do sufficient research to have a high degree of confidence in a non-hands-on purchase.

My .02
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2015 1895.  It's just as well made as my pre-safety Marlins.  You just need to inspect the one you're going to buy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My remlin guide gun is great!
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#6]
What exactly is a Marlin LA?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What exactly is a Marlin LA?
View Quote

LA=Lever action.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a new in box 45-70. There's a giant knot on the side of the stock. The lever doesn't stay closed, and im lucky if I can get the bolt to cock the hammer
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Then you need to contact customer service on that issue.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Hoping the quality of the Remlins is getting better.  Been thinking about a 44 mag or 357 mag, and I had a horrible experience with Rossi, so I'm not going back there.  Don't want a Henry because their pistol caliber leverguns weigh almost as much as an M1 Garand or M14.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a new in box 45-70. There's a giant knot on the side of the stock. The lever doesn't stay closed, and im lucky if I can get the bolt to cock the hammer
View Quote

Why did you buy it with those issues/problems?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't buy rifles with those issues. Gotta check them over before the paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]
When inspecting a new Remlin what things are you looking out for?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I've bought 2 remlins in the last 2 years, a 45-70 GBL and a 336 and both shoot as good as my early 80s era 336.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I looked at the junk Marlin had on display at SHOT this year.

Buy a old gun!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I just bought a marlin 1894 .44 mag the other day. I got it mostly fer hunting but the occasional target shooting as well. Its my first lever action. It fed the 44 mag and 44 special with no problems. It is a bit gritty, right now. After a few hundred rounds i will see if it smooths out or if it will need some additional polishing. I am pretty happy with it. I would have liked a henry, but the front loading turned me away.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just bought a marlin 1894 .44 mag the other day. I got it mostly fer hunting but the occasional target shooting as well. Its my first lever action. It fed the 44 mag and 44 special with no problems. It is a bit gritty, right now. After a few hundred rounds i will see if it smooths out or if it will need some additional polishing. I am pretty happy with it. I would have liked a henry, but the front loading turned me away.
View Quote
My 80s era 336 was gritty when I bought it new, not as much as the new ones but time and use will slick them up. As for the Henrys, if they go with a side loading gate I will buy one but not before.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats good to know. Hopefully it smooths out quite nicely. That would be really nice if henry would offer a side load model.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Remington hasn't figured out how to properly heat-treat the carrier, causing it to deform and cause malfunctions after a few hundred rounds have been put through the rifle. Remington is basically gambling on users buying shooting maybe a box through the rifle every year, and never shooting it enough to warp the internals. Other design changes weakened the action, and both QC and fit and finish are not where they need to be. Buy a pre-safety JM and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a .444 Marlin, Micro-groove that was built in about 1971.
The fit and finish is fine and it functions well.
I have killed numerous Deer, and more then a few Coyotes with it.
It is a heavy beast as well.

I recently, (last week) bought one of the new 1895CB 45-70's with the 26" barrel.
I paid $650 for the Marlin.
I did agonize over the purchase and did look at the Chiappa Ridgerunner and the Henry.
The chiappa is way overpriced, $1100.00, and the Henry, although a very nice rifle was a bit short for what I want to do.
The new Marlin functions the same as my elderly .444, rather smooth for a new born.
The fit and finish is actually well done, from the wood to the metal.
The carrier inside is a little rough but I think I can fix that.
The wood is smooth, but could use a coat or three of Balistol, (sp), or some other type finish.
But, it is more of a matte finish, which fits my style pf things.
The barrel is a bit more shiny than the receiver.
(Marlin either needs to just Matte finish the whole thing or make it all shiny, BUT, the thing does look nice)

I am going to replace the front and rear sight with Brockman sight.
I may change out the loop as well.
I wear size 12 gloves, so the loop is small.

But overall, the manufacturer does appear to being paying attention to what people are saying, for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I got my new 1895G about a week ago. I was concerned about the issues since I ordered it off gunbroker. Mine is new in box (barrel date code 3/16),
Fit and finish is good, wood is nice, walnut has a matte finish which I like. action was pretty slick. Zeroed easily. Shoots very well w/ Fed. Fusion 300gr.
Trigger was heavy but crisp. Took it apart and cleaned and polished parts that rub w/ a dremmel, put it back together. Trigger is a little better.

Overall I'm very pleased w/ it. I would buy another one in stainless if I could justify a need for it. I think this is going to be a good swamp gun for 100yd - 150yd. shots.
I'm glad I learned about the 1895 & .45-70 cartridge here. It is thunder stick and puts a grin on your face when send one of those big pills down range.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Long answer: Remington hasn't figured out how to properly heat-treat the carrier, causing it to deform and cause malfunctions after a few hundred rounds have been put through the rifle. Remington is basically gambling on users buying shooting maybe a box through the rifle every year, and never shooting it enough to warp the internals. Other design changes weakened the action, and both QC and fit and finish are not where they need to be. Buy a pre-safety JM and be done with it.
View Quote

Please post a link to a credible source that backs up your assertion.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes please
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I just got a Marlin 1895CBA in 45-70.  Have not shot it yet, just ran a few rounds thru the action.  It is very smooth and can find no issues with fit and finish.  produced August 2016 according to barrel code.  Very happy.  BTW, this was a raffle prize, so, got what I got!  Joins my Rossi 92 in 38/357 that has been threaded for suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Short answer: no.  I have had Marlins for over 50 years, and the new does not compare to the old.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I do not trust them after handling several with all having issues.
I hate it I really want them to get their shit together. If you buy a new one go over it with a fine tooth comb
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ranger-point-precision/181873-recent-improvements-remlin-1894s-disqualify-them.html

A reputable 'smith stating that his company will no longer work on them due to design changes and metallurgical problems. I can find references to heat-treating issues as well if you like.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Checked out a Remington made Marlin 45-70 a few weeks back. It was a damn nice rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I have bought four REP Marlins, 1895G,
1895GBL, 1895GSSBL, and just recently a 45LC. 1895G is junk and left me as a Marlin owner pretty disgusted. The other three are fine rifles.
I know they will never hold value like my JM's but that will be my kids problem!

I like to hunt, shoot, and carry a LA rifle. My truck gun is a 357 Rossi which gets plenty of critter kills.

Will I buy another Marlin, most likely no as I can't think of one that I want.

Appears they are no longer making the 39a which kind of says the Marlin Rifle Co. I grew up with is gone.

Remington is not the same either. Sad that mergers and acquisitions and chasing revenue growth has really decimated so many once fine companies and their products!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I've bought three over the last few years: one 1894 in 44 Mag, one 1895 in 45-70, and a 336 youth in 30-30.  

The 44 mag and 30-30 had to go back to the factory.  

The 44 mag would not cycle/would jam.  They repaired it and sent it back...seems ok now.  

The 30-30 shot too high at 100 yards to be able to hit a 8.5x11" sheet of paper, regardless of where I aimed....but it was pretty close to dead on at 300 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. They could not fix that rifle and allegedly another is being sent from Remlin.  I've been waiting about a month for that rifle.  Am beginning to suspect I can write off the money I spent on that rifle.

Hard lessons are not soon forgotten.  I'll never by another new Remington/Marlin product for as long as I live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top