Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2017 8:59:51 AM EDT
I ran across a stainless brush gun. Stainless, 16.5" barrel for a reasonable price. I know zero about Mossberg lever rifles. Does anyone have hands on experience with them?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
how much is reasonable?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned my 464 with walnut pistol grip stock for almost 5 years and about 500rds and couldn't be happier with it.  I got it NIB and it's so perfectly suited to me that I haven't done a thing to it, not a single thing.  The Marbles sights it comes with are excellent and while it started out stiff when new, a good dose of cycling the action while sitting in front of the TV one night smoothed thing out very nicely. 

It's accurate as any 30-30 I've owned and I've had a pre-64 Winchester 94 and a Marlin 336.  Truth is, I like the Mossberg better than either of them as it's got a decent trigger and a smooth, tight action.  The recoil pad is nice as the 30-30 rd in such a light carbine makes it a bit harsh for younger shooters and women who try it without one.  While my 94 had the 'legend' in truth, the floppy trigger and action make the Winchester feel a bit odd while the Marlin, with it's heavy, blocky feel never felt right to me.  Further, the drop at comb of the 94, coupled with it's light weight and thin buttstock, produced a sharp recoil bite felt by everyone who shot it even though the 30-30 rd is not that powerful.  While the Marlin was a bit better, it still felt too thick and bulky.  Both we on to better homes when I needed some cash raising a family.

However, as everyone should own a 'thudy-thudy' when I got the urge to get another one, just because in 2011, I looked for something different.  When I fondled a straight stock version at our club range and got to fire off a few rds, I was sold but as I wanted a walnut, pistol grip stock version, I went in search of one.  After grabbing one up off of Bud's and getting it out to the range, I found that I had exactly what I was after.  It's a solid gun with a good action and an acceptable trigger, something not many leverguns have.  In addition, it's exceedingly accurate with the Marbles sights out to 200yds at the reactive targets I regularly shoot at.

I give it a thumbs up and it will stay in my stable as one of 8 of my leverguns.  More importantly, it regularly goes out to the range with me and has gone out into the brush a few times as well.  Though I don't hunt anymore as at 69, my eyes aren't what they once were, it's still a ton of fun to shoot, shoulders very well, and I can hit what I can see with it out to 200yds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a blued model, great rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top