Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2017 8:23:46 PM EDT
I finally got the deal done on this gun. Its been sitting in a closet for close to 45 years. The gun is amazing.

I think it was made around 73-74. Serial # is F17***3 Could I be wrong about the date?

Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
it looks like its been used, or maybe just levered a few times. Its hard to resist working the action on a lever gun

Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice, I'd love to have one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Very Nice. I'm a little jealous. Dad had a 94/22M. One of my 7 brothers took it, son't know which one. I do know they won't shoot it as Dad did.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Bought a 9422M in '76, still have it. First gun I bought with my own $.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought one from a Co worker about 17 years ago. He needed money for  divorice lawyer. Great little rifle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a big difference in quality between this one and the Henry H001. Don't get me wrong, my sons henry is a sweet little gun and a darn good shooter, I just don't see the "pot metal" on the Winchester.
BTW, I found out this one was made in 75
I'm sure looking forward to shooting it. Are these all setup for "take down" ?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a 9422M that was built in the mid 70s.  Picked it up about 2-3yrs ago for a song.  Slickest action and accc u rate at 100yds with new Hornady ammo.

edit: what ja pay for it, OP?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a big difference in quality between this one and the Henry H001. Don't get me wrong, my sons henry is a sweet little gun and a darn good shooter, I just don't see the "pot metal" on the Winchester.
BTW, I found out this one was made in 75
I'm sure looking forward to shooting it. Are these all setup for "take down" ?
View Quote

Yes, it dates from 1975.  F169044 was the serial assigned to the last 9422 made in 1974 and F229666 was the last serial number assigned to a 9422 in 1975.  

The 9422 was intended to help Winchester regain some of the reputation it lost with the changes it implemented in it's 1964 model year rifles.  It was intended from the start to be very well engineered, and exceptionally well made and well finished with a forged steel receiver, walnut stock, very careful fitting and a superb blued finish.  

There were only a couple of changes over the years.  Winchester switched from steel magazine followers to brass magazine followers about mid way through 1978, allegedly to address concerns about corrosion, but I've never seen a steel 9422 magazine tube corrode.  I suspect brass may have been less expensive, and thus easier/cheaper for customers to replace if they lost the magazine tube.  That was a fairly common occurrence as pin on the magazine tube retainer can turn itself out of the recess in the outer tube allowing it to fall out.  That often happened after shooters unloaded them and carried them muzzle down back to where ever started from.     You do not want to lose the magazine tube as originals are almost impossible to find in either steel or brass form.  You can make one that will work using a universal magazine tube kit from Brownells, but it will hurt the value of your rifle.

I install a small o-ring on the tube to take up the slack between the two parts when the magazine tube is secured. It works really well to prevent the loss of the magazine tube as you have press in a bit to compress the o-ring, before you can move the pin out of the detent to remove the tube.

Winchester also introduced the 9422 XTR in 1978 and these are distinguishable by the "XTR" stamp on the barrel, as well as the highly polished flats on the lever and the hammer. All 9422s have highly polished receivers, so that it not definitive for an XTR.  The 1978 XTR had a smooth stock while they added checkering in 1979.  However when the XTR models were discontinued in 1989 the 9422s all got checkered stocks so checkering is also not a good way to tell if it's an XTR at a distance.  An XTR will have highly polished lever and hammer flats as well as the XTR mark on the barrel. In some of the pictures below you can see the polished flats on my smooth stocked 1978 XTR, compared to my 2000 checkered stock 9422 Trapper which does not have the same level of polish on the lever and hammer flats.

I don't recall the specific year, but Winchester standardized the receivers and internals on the 9422 and 9422M so that they both used the slightly longer bolt travel and the slightly longer ejection port found on the .22 Magnum chambered 9422M.  The end result was that the 9422 would no longer reliably cycle with .22 short, and the rifles were subsequently no longer marker for .22 LR, L and S, but rather just .22LR and L.

Those later 9422 carbines will show just a bit of the bolt carrier and pin behind the bolt, while just the polished bolt is visible with the shorter ejection port examples:

They are take down ready with a couple of caveats.

First, the bolt assembly can slide out of the receiver once you've taken it down, so bear that in mind as you transport it and ensure it stays in place.  It's fairly solid when it's pushed fully forward in the receiver, but it's not idiot proof, so take some care.  

Second, you take it down by unscrewing and removing the hammer screw.  Sooner or later, you'll mar the head on the screw and value will suffer.  My preferred approach is to use an aftermarket hammer screw that incorporates a saddle ring, and I use a piece of Latigo leather to prevent the ring from rattling against the receiver where it might mar the finish.   This lets you take it down and put it back together without a screw driver.

I've drilled and tapped the tangs on mine for receiver sights.  It will hurt the resale value of a 9422 a bit, so even with the added sight you'll at best break even.  On the other hand, it also doesn't hurt the value any more than marks on the grooved receiver from mounting a scope.  The 9422 is surprisingly accurate for a lever gun and mine will both shoot 3" groups at 100 yards with the tang sights installed - and it doesn't ruin the lines or the lines or the handling the way a scope does on a 9422.  

If you do decide to put a scope on it, don't go crazy tightening the rings as you do not want to damage the grooves in the receiver any more than necessary to secure the scope rings to the receiver.  And think outside the box a bit.  The length of pull is short enough that getting adequate eye relief is difficult - unless you mount both rings behind the adjustment turret on the scope.  If you do that it works great.  It's a little unconventional looking, but it's very effective.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
great info 52, thank you.

Its funny that you mention the O ring. When my buddy first took the little rifle out of the case the mag tube fell out. The first thing that came to my mind was it needed an O ring just like the Henry. Of course I forgot all about it until I read your post.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

edit: what ja pay for it, OP?
View Quote

I traded another gun for it. I'd say in dollars it would be about 650-700 bucks
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
my dad has one, I grew up shooting it. phenomenal gun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:24:23 AM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine's step Dad has a 94/22 in .22 Mag.  What a fun little gun to shoot.  Accurate too.  I'd love to have one but have you guys seen the prices on them as of late?  .
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A friend of mine's step Dad has a 94/22 in .22 Mag.  What a fun little gun to shoot.  Accurate too.  I'd love to have one but have you guys seen the prices on them as of late?  .
View Quote

This is why I kept hounding my buddy. It hasn't left his closet in years. He's not a gun guy and I hated to see it sitting in a closet and not being taken care of.
It's a very well built gun, I'm lucky to have it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top