Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2017 10:09:20 PM EDT
I know it's not unfired but not fired since it left the factory. Once of my very close friends father overheard him and I talking guns New Years Day. . My friend is not a "gun guy" but is looking for something for self defense. Anyways his dad who's in his 80's invites me over to take a look at his old Winchester. The story he told me is that he won it in a poker game in the city of Detroit back in the 50's. Based on the serial number it looks like it was made in 1953? The bluing is pretty much 100% with even the sharp edged still blue and not a single ding on the wood.  He originally had the box (rifle was NIB) but says he probably threw it away decades ago. He was going to use it for deer hunting when he was younger but never went hunting and never fired it.  The rifle was never even loaded and you can tell by the loading gate as well. It has been sitting in the back of a closet with a sheet over he tells me at least since the 70's. I'm not into lever guns but I figured folks here would want to see the old girl. He's also thinking of selling it but I have no idea what it's worth. Enjoy the pictures and if anyone knows anything about these let me know please.

Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
That's worth a lot of money.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
1000+++
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice, that would be a good gun to have.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice, that would be a good gun to have.
View Quote

She is  beautiful for sure. I only worked the action once and when it broke open the smell reminded me of an old, slightly cosmolined M1 Garand. I felt bad working the action but I wanted to make sure it functioned properly. The hammer was gently lowered.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice! I'd love to come across one in that condition!
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You wouldn't believe it, but there is a market for rare mint lever guns that have never been cocked.  

Quoted:

She is  beautiful for sure. I only worked the action once and when it broke open the smell reminded me of an old, slightly cosmolined M1 Garand. I felt bad working the action but I wanted to make sure it functioned properly. The hammer was gently lowered.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 56 that has spent it's time in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

And you've never ran an oiled patch thru the bore?

After 60+ years, I'd say there must be some rust.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And you've never ran an oiled patch thru the bore?

After 60+ years, I'd say there must be some rust.

Your thoughts?
View Quote

I'll let you know tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

So...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 1941 in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So...
View Quote

OK........give me 16 more hours. Long day at work, busy night with the kids and I purchases a new drill press. I PROMISE tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Standard Winchester mdl 94 pre-64 carbine.  In pristine shape can be worth upwards of $700-900, possible more with the right buyer.  Condition is everything, but locale.  Some places seem to bring better prices than others.  Yes, by all means run a patch thru it.  If there's no surface rust on the outside, I wouldn't expect any in the bore.  I have a top eject from every decade they were made except the '40s and the 1980s.  From what can be seen in the pics, that's as nice an example as I've seen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Clean the dust off of it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...

Bore is mint with no rust but there was some grease present.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top