Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2017 8:59:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't really matter what the roll marks say, if you are looking at buying a new 1892 Takedown (or one produced in the modern era) you've only got tow real choices:

One of the new Winchester Model 1892s, which are I think  only available in .44-40 or .45 Colt, or

One of the Armi Sport / Chiappa made 1892 take downs - under whatever banner they are imported. Charles Daly (no longer in business), Armi Sport, Taylor's, or Cimmarron, it doesn't matter, they were/are all made by Armi-Sport.   You may however find some minor differences in overall fit and finish depending on what the importer specified, but I have not seen one yet that was poorly finished.

----

I have an Armi Sport made Charles Daly imported Model 92 take down in .45 Colt.

It's a very good copy of the Winchester Model 92 take down including the adjustment screws inside the hand guard to regulate the fit of the front end to the receiver. This eliminates any play between the two ends of the connection when the barrel is indexed by the magazine tube.

There is a lever on the end of the magazine tube that is raised to unlock the tube and allow it to be screwed out of the receiver to allow the front half to rotate.

The Armi Sport 1892s are very well made and function very slick right out of the box - far better than the Rossi Model 92 rifles and carbines, before they are slicked up, and even a well tuned Rossi 92 has nothing on an Armi Sport right out of the box. It comes ready to run and is quite well made.  

----

The color case hardened finish on my 24" take down rifle is very nice, and like the Winchester rifle pattern, it comes drilled and tapped for a tang sight.

The rifle is very handy to carry in a compact package.

----

One thing to consider with a take down Model 1892 is that accuracy isn't on quite the same level as a fixed barrel design.   Accuracy is on the order of 6" at 100 yards, compared to about 3" at 100 yards with one of my other Model 1892s.   That's not necessarily a deal breaker, but it's a factor to consider and it's an example of no free lunch.  You can have optimum stiffness between receiver and barrel producing peak accuracy, or you can have the portability of a take down rifle, but you can't have both.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
FYI:  In regards to recent/modern production, The Winchester (Miroku) 16" trapper version was available in .357M, .44M, & .45 Colt.  (I have a .357, and it's awesome, but they're impossible to find now.)

I think the  Winchester (Miroku) 20" model was available in .44-40 & .45 colt, but I'm not sure. (They slightly less than impossible to find.)

Winchester/Miruku is not currently producing any takedown 92s, unless there's an interesting announcement at the Jan SHOT show.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm working up the courage to do this to a stainless 16" Rossi:
Rossi takedown conversion

I already have one but am going to convert mine to a SBR instead, looking for a second one though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top