Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2017 12:15:57 AM EDT
I found a Winchester 94 in 30-30 at one of the pawn shops in town. It's used, but you can hardly tell. It's in excellent shape. They want $499.

That a fair price?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I would buy almost any Win 94 for $499 as long as it was not one of the Ted Williams or other rebranded ones made for Sears etc. Not that there is anything wrong with them, just don't like all the extra rollmarks and stuff. I have no personal experience with 94s from the post 1964 to say late 70s early 80s era other than shooting a couple of them a long time ago. They just "felt" a little sloppier than the before and after 94s I have owned and shot. As long as the gun is solid and clean, at that price, go for eeettt!!!!!

Then IM me and I'll set ya up with a Marbles Tang-mounted Peep Sight. Add in some Leverevolution ammo and go kill ya some hogs
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on being a good buy, even post 64 Japanese built guns around where I live are untouchable for under 6-800 bucks. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, I'd try to find out what year it was made. The pre 64 years are the most wanted years. I think Winchester had a tough time after that but the guns did improve. I've read that the guns made in the 70s and later are good.

I've wanted a model 94 ever since I was a young kid. 30+ guns later I finally got one made in 2001, its a 94AE model. Its a fine gun and shoots very well.  It had to have been a safe queen because it looks brand new and I don't think it was ever shot. I thought the 94's would be bigger and heavier then the model 92's, man was I wrong.

FWIW, I paid 330.00 for it before tax and dros..
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like a good price.  I got my first 94AE a few years ago.  Paid $200. Guy wanted money for a kayak so sold the Winchester.  He had only fired 5 rounds through it and still had the remaining 15 rounds out of the box.  
He drilled a sling mount into,the buttstock that was off center.  I filled it and touched it up with one of those wood stain pens. Little bit of surface rust on the lever, but that came off with 000 steel wool and oil. I love the gun

Picked up a Pre-64 for $300.  Made in 1950. Had some pitting on the outside of the barrel, but nothing I didn't mind. Haven't shot it yet, but plan to soon.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
First levergun?  Look for a .22lr model.   You can use relatively less expensive ammo to learn how to use the action.  Like anything it takes many repetitions to get it down pat.

These days Henry has a very good selection of styles available.  Marlin only lists one model these days, but it's a good one.  I don't think Winchester is currently producing a .22.  There are several non US made rifles out there as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First levergun?  Look for a .22lr model.   You can use relatively less expensive ammo to learn how to use the action.  Like anything it takes many repetitions to get it down pat.

These days Henry has a very good selection of styles available.  Marlin only lists one model these days, but it's a good one.  I don't think Winchester is currently producing a .22.  There are several non US made rifles out there as well.
View Quote
Why? Most are made cheap, and don't do anything a bolt action or semi can't do better. The gun the OP listed is perfect for a first levergun. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
My son has a Marlin 30/30 and it is stupid accurate with Remington green box 150 spot points.
He has a Leupold 4X M8 scope and if I told you how well it shoots with those rounds you'd call me a lier.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why? Most are made cheap, and don't do anything a bolt action or semi can't do better. The gun the OP listed is perfect for a first levergun. 
View Quote

Except allow one to learn how to use the action, as I stated.  I see folks constantly drop the rifle from their shoulder to work the action.  I see them fail to work the lever with authority.  This is all a matter of training and muscle memory.  

I blame most westerns for this.  Heck, even in a movie about a lever gun (Winchester '73) Jimmy Stewart did it wrong the entire movie.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Except allow one to learn how to use the action, as I stated.  I see folks constantly drop the rifle from their shoulder to work the action.  I see them fail to work the lever with authority.  This is all a matter of training and muscle memory.  

I blame most westerns for this.  Heck, even in a movie about a lever gun (Winchester '73) Jimmy Stewart did it wrong the entire movie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea based on all the .22 lever guns I've seen, especially 80's to newer, going to be dropping the rifle anyways to dig out stuck cases. Plus most are pretty ratchety. 

I think the OP will survive a center-fire lever gun as his first one. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top