Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2016 11:41:47 PM EDT
Just picked up a new 1894 in 45 Colt, round 20" barrel and straight stock. I have to admit that on initial inspection I am quite pleased! I have a number of JM Marlins and had switched to Henry blued steel ( 357 & 45 Colt ) lever guns when Marlin changed hands.

I try to pick up a new rifle every year and in all honesty I figured I would never be able to afford a JM stamped Marlin in 45 Colt in the used market. Saw one in Cabela's several months ago that was a 24" barrel that was rough in the chamber and looked like it wasn't operational for over $1100.

Only thing I didn't care for on this rifle is the etched SN with some digital insignia on the receiver.

Hope to shoot it this weekend or next.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice to hear they might again be putting out a quality product, I may keep an eye out myself to see what the new ones look like. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The new Remlins have improved a lot since the initial demise of the real Marlins. You just need to check them over well as many dealers still have "old stock" of the earlier production junk.  I was actually looking at one today, the 45-70 CB (cowboy). I have one of the original JM models with full octagon barrel. This new Remlin version I looked at today had a half round. Octagon at the breech end, rounded for the front half. The bluing was excellent, wood to metal fit was perfect, checkering was decent. Biggest turn off was the cheap looking engraving as mentioned in a post above. They need to put that ugly stuff some place other than the side of the receiver. They should put it on the lower tang so it is hidden by the lever.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Finally got out to put some rounds through the new Marlin 45LC now that hunting season has ended. The new Remlin ran very smooth, good sights, shot well and cycled round nose cowboy loads with no issues. Was hitting 8x8 steel plate consistently at 75 yards. Need to run couple of hundred more rounds through it which shall be a fun project.

In 45LC I have a Rossi , Henry,  and Marlin all in 20" round barrels. Once I get the Marlin broke in I think I would be comfortable with any of the three while out in the woods or on the river. It is my favorite pistol caliber rifle round with the 357 a close second.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top