Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2016 5:02:18 PM EDT
Picked up this 45-70 recently and the bolt doesn't push the hammer down far enough, by about a C hair, to full cock. I took the stock off and it seems to cock just fine.
I found a really old thread somewhere else where someone said to drill out the hole in the stock where the mainspring goes but that did not work for me.

Anyone have a solution?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If it was a used gun, it sounds like somebody was dremeling the hammer and went too far.  If its a new gun send it to remington/marlin and let them sort it out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe try and install a Wild West Guns Happy Trigger.  If that doesn't work, I'd find a good smith and have him go through it.  If someone was Bubbaing it there may be other issues that haven't arisen yet.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
There should be a bump on the bottom rear of the bolt. This is what pushes the hammer down when the action is cycled, often these bumps are honed (as well as the top of the hammer) to smooth up the action. If to much material was removed it won't push the hammer down far enough to catch.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I should have said, at least I meant to, that this is a brand new rifle. The tags are still on it. Not a shot out of it. This thing is a piece of shit. The lever does not latch into place without so much as tapping the side of the gun making it unlatch.

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Send it back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Call remington/marlin Tuesday morning, make them send you a shipping tag and send it back.

That stock should have never left the factory like that. This, coupled with the cocking/ latching problem, as much as I like to fix my own stuff, i'd send that back in a heart beat..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top