Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2016 8:02:38 PM EDT
I wanted to start a new thread to point out some things I noticed when cleaning my M92 in .357.

First, The bore is a bit rough. Has some really nasty chatter marks. They are about 1.5 inches from the muzzle. There are spots that are dark. Kinda reminds me of looking down the bore of a well used m1 garand and seeing some frosting or pitting in the bore.

Second, the machining is really rough and the inside of the receiver has spotes of minor pitting. Also, there are of some gouges in the receiver. Is this normal? the gouges are on the left side on the edge of the channel that the lever rides in . There are two areas, one above the other. Is this going to cause any issues and is this typical of the machining in these?

The third thing I noticed is it seems part of the receiver bolt guide rail is missing where the bolt rides. It is where one of the screws goes. Looks like they drilled and tapped out part of the rail. This doesnt seem right to me but I wanted to ask because I have been wrong before.

I know they are crude rifles and not super clean and sexy. I am just curious if I got a lemon. The marks in the bore really look nasty.

Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sample of one so...

My 44m bore is bright and cleanly machined. sounds like you got a bum barrel but I'd clean the crap out of it and shoot it before I passed judgment...

The machining is a little rough, these are inexpensive guns. As for pitting, I don't see any on mine. unless your saying anything short of a slick smooth surface is "pitting", In this case, it's not what I call pitting just machining marks. Not sure about the gouges, I don't see what you're seeing in the picture...
You can get steves gunz DVD on slicking up the action. Mine didn't feel that rough out of the box so I didn't bother, it's smother after a few hundred rds. I haven't had any feeding issue with typical RN/HP ammo, all though, my 44m didn't like to feed some old birdshot I had

The bolt rail is supposed to be like that

EDIT:

BTW, where did you find a 357??? I've been looking for one. A good friend really liked my 44M but doesn't reload any more... he also has a bunch of 357 ammo. I can find 44m and 45LC's but no 357's short of the over priced ones on GB....
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I found it at a local shop. It was the only one they had and they said they never see them so I jumped on it.

Ii circled where I am talking about the gouges.

I dont mind the rough machining but my bolt and parts of the inside of the receiver have some pitting. Bums me out because I really wanted this rifle. I have been looking for this exact model for several months.

Here is a picture of the bore. The best I could do. One of the spots is just after 12 o'clock position in the bore. There are several smaller ones like this. I scrubbed the bore clean because it had a bunch of crap in it.

Also, could you do me a favor and open the action on your rifle and look down into the receiver? on the left side rail is it open where it was drilled and tapped for a screw?

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is at Rossi being repaired they said 6 weeks it's already been 7
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Without taking mine apart I'm not sure about the gouges. I think is part of the machining...

As for the pitting, was it from rusting? If so, I'd clean it up. As long as it's not causing any function issue I wouldn't worry to much myself. 

The bore. Hard to say for sure, I don't think you'll have any accuracy issues. If you do, rossi/taurus will probably fix it but it won't be quick...

Yes, my rail looks exactly like yours does, it's normal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sample of one so...

My 44m bore is bright and cleanly machined. sounds like you got a bum barrel but I'd clean the crap out of it and shoot it before I passed judgment...

The machining is a little rough, these are inexpensive guns. As for pitting, I don't see any on mine. unless your saying anything short of a slick smooth surface is "pitting", In this case, it's not what I call pitting just machining marks. Not sure about the gouges, I don't see what you're seeing in the picture...
You can get steves gunz DVD on slicking up the action. Mine didn't feel that rough out of the box so I didn't bother, it's smother after a few hundred rds. I haven't had any feeding issue with typical RN/HP ammo, all though, my 44m didn't like to feed some old birdshot I had

EDIT:

BTW, where did you find a 357??? I've been looking for one. A good friend really liked my 44M but doesn't reload any more... he also has a bunch of 357 ammo. I can find 44m and 45LC's but no 357's short of the over priced ones on GB....
View Quote

IM Sent
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I found it at a local shop. It was the only one they had and they said they never see them so I jumped on it.

Ii circled where I am talking about the gouges.

I dont mind the rough machining but my bolt and parts of the inside of the receiver have some pitting. Bums me out because I really wanted this rifle. I have been looking for this exact model for several months.

Here is a picture of the bore. The best I could do. One of the spots is just after 12 o'clock position in the bore. There are several smaller ones like this. I scrubbed the bore clean because it had a bunch of crap in it.

Also, could you do me a favor and open the action on your rifle and look down into the receiver? on the left side rail is it open where it was drilled and tapped for a screw?
View Quote

That's the bolt/lever pivot pin disassembly hole (not the proper nomenclature but I'm not sure of the proper name for it).

When taking down the gun, you remove the screw then line the bolt up so the pin that connects the bolt and lever is lined up with the hole...then you drive the pin out with an appropriately sized punch. Same for reassembly. The screw is there so the pin doesn't inadvertently walk it's way out of the gun. If the pin isn't driven in to the 'sweet spot' it can drag on either side of the receiver. I've also heard of instances where the screw is tightened too much and extends into the receiver and binds the bolt.

The inside channels of the Rossis have always been a little rough. When I first got my two Interarms Rossis, I took them down, smoothed any 'major' burrs with stones, then reassembled the guns and generously lubed the interior rails and contact areas with some garnet lapping compound--800 grit IIRC--and worked the action open and shut for an hour or so whilst watching 'Sons of Katie Elder' (that particular film wasn't absolutely necessary, any John Wayne movie will do) then tore the gun down again and thoroughly cleaned every trace of abrasive from it. Then I lubed the inner contacts areas with oil (and grease in the receiver channels) and put it back together. MUCH smoother, and now the interior machining areas don't snag cotton swabs when cleaning the gun.

\The 92 is kind of a pain to totally dissassemble so mostly I clean out the interior with swabs, solvent, etc, and only do a total break-down every few years or so depending on how much I shoot the guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I cant return or exchange it so at this point my options are to send it in and hopefully get it back sometime in 2017 with a new barrel, shoot it and be done with it, or sell it? Any advice?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd shoot it. If accuracy is acceptable to you and it feeds good Keep it. That or sell it, Rossi isn't going to give you a new barrel unless the one you have shoots REALLY badly...
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sample of one so...

EDIT:

View Quote

problem is they aren't exactly inexpensive anymore.  My personal opinion is they are no longer worth the asking price.  Of course with marlin quality taking a dump, and henry's being even more expensive the consumer doesn't have many other options
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The bore on mine looks WAY worse than that but it still shoots well enough for me. I get two inch fifty yard groups with most all ammo I've tried.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#11]
For you guys who have rough bores, I'd suggest a Wheeler Bore Lapping Kit. I've used these kits and my cast bullets to polish some rough bores and to completely transform a bore with a horrendous tight spot on a Mauser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top