Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2016 4:53:20 PM EDT
I got a new rossi 92 in 357 about three weeks ago. It was absolutely covered in cosmoline gunk in the action also sometimes the hammer wouldn't stay cocked and would follow the carrier back up when closing the bolt or sometimes the hammer would fall randomly
With the guys on Rossi rifleman forums help I thought I had it fixed. I ran 38's through it and had no problems after that. I finally got some 357's and they will not feed at all!! They will go up and into and hit the top of the chamber and then the rim gets stuck on the cartridge guides. After fooling with it all morning and working the action over and over I noticed that the hammer issue wasn't fixed either its still doing it sometimes. Reluctantly  I called Rossi and they said to send it in but they wouldn't even give me a label! So I had to email someone who could approve a prepaid shipping label and still haven't heard back yet. I also told  them I plan to reload an need to be able to reuse the brass so to make a note  DO NOT MESS WITH CHAMBER! I don't want unsupported chamber issues too. I have seen some of there lazy fixes where they just took hunks out of the chamber.

She gave me a turnaround of 6 weeks

Any experiences with Rossi customer service?

UPDATE

Well after about 4 months they decided they are going to replace my rifle

They have discontinued the Octagon barrel models

So guess I'm getting a new 20" round barrel

Hopefully this one works

Update#2

Welp the replacement rifle was on backorder with no eta so yesterday they decided to "fix" my original rifle and send it back
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I sent mine in on July 13. It's still there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you contacted them and what kind of turnaround time did they give you?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did. They originally quoted me 6 weeks. I sent it in. Waited. I called again a week or so ago and they said they were working on it. Haven't heard back since. I liked the 92. I would like it back!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I did. They originally quoted me 6 weeks. I sent it in. Waited. I called again a week or so ago and they said they were working on it. Haven't heard back since. I liked the 92. I would like it back!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was wrong with yours?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel needed replaced. There were a few issues with it as I shot it. I called Rossi and they said to send it in. The action was reasonably smooth. Maybe it'll come back for Xmas...
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent a 24" 357 back to them in late 2013. Even then they gave me the 6 weeks BS. I think it
was more like 10 weeks
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#7]
When you get it bac .  Check and see if they removed material from the bore to ensure feeding.  Saw some posts else where.  Results in a unsupported chamber and buldged cases.  A no no to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
should have bought a henry
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought three of them in a package deal. One wouldn't feed .357.  It had a bit of flashing in a spot the others didn't.  10 minutes with a file and it was feeding .357 just fine.

I traded my last 92 carbine for an 03-a3 Remington and immediately bought a stainless .357 92 carbine.  It was smooth out of the box and had no cosmoline on it at all. It feeds .357 fine and I removed the ugly slider safety.  

I would never send one in to Rossi. I would pick a SASS affiliated gunsmith with a looooooong reputation for good work and send it to them for the repair, spring job, and slicking up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck no.  The modern "henry" is an abomination.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to VERY lightly file the rear of the cartridge guides to get it to feed .357.  Thousands of rounds later it's still GTG so I guess I did it right.  The hammer issue I'm not sure about.  There are good disassembly guides out there if you want to take a look inside for a bad part.  I've torn mine down several times upgrading parts/springs, etc.  Not really a complicated design.  If you find a defective part I hear they're really good about shipping them to you quickly.  Might be better than sending the whole gun in and waiting forever.  I'm comfortable working on my guns though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When you get it bac .  Check and see if they removed material from the bore to ensure feeding.  Saw some posts else where.  Results in a unsupported chamber and buldged cases.  A no no to me.
View Quote

I told the woman to make a note on the service order do not touch the bore!
I also wrote a note and attached it to the rifle DO NOT REMOVE METAL FROM CHAMBER AREA!!!!
I have seen the lazy fixes before
If they do I'm not accepting it lol
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I looked at them and I have a few Henry's
The loading system killed it for me and if I ever did get into Cowboy action they say you'll only bring a Henry once
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had to VERY lightly file the rear of the cartridge guides to get it to feed .357.  Thousands of rounds later it's still GTG so I guess I did it right.  The hammer issue I'm not sure about.  There are good disassembly guides out there if you want to take a look inside for a bad part.  I've torn mine down several times upgrading parts/springs, etc.  Not really a complicated design.  If you find a defective part I hear they're really good about shipping them to you quickly.  Might be better than sending the whole gun in and waiting forever.  I'm comfortable working on my guns though.
View Quote

I took it apart multiple times the guys on Rossi rifleman thought the trigger sear ledge was too long to engage the hammer notches reliably but I was kinda scared to take much material off though
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#15]
The rossis are a 50/50 crap shoot.   Had a bunch of them but no more.   When Taurus took over things went bad.

I heard they send the R92s back to the factory in South America to be repaired.

Had two pre-Taurus 357 Magnums and they were perfect.   Wish I had them back.

Very hard to get consumable parts for them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I have called them every couple of days and for over a month have been told its with a gunsmith currently undergoing repairs now. They always say keep in mind the repair could take up to six weeks, well we are almost at 8 weeks now

When they looked into it further its only been assigned to a gunsmith and apparently they said only one guy working on long guns.

I have been very polite and patient but I fear I am going to have to say look here I either need my gun fixed and returned in the next 2 weeks , you can send me a new fully functioning gun or you can send me $550
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm still waiting on mine since July... Marlin next time?!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a Rossi...for a short time. Crap like what OP is experiencing with their horribad QC convinced me to never have another.

Mine also fed poorly and the barrel was not indexed correctly,  causing the sights to be very canted.

Frankly Rossi makes the worst of the new Remlins look like fine craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Threads like this had me concerned about ever contacting Rossi CS. It's one of the most popular rifles I take to shoots. The last time I had it out, I managed to loose the screw that fills the hole for the crosspin.
When I gave up finding an equivalent, I checked out their website. They offer "chat". Within five minutes I had a response, then assurance that a replacement part was on the way.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#21]
My Rossis were both WAY over sprung. The ejector springs are insanely too heavy. Ordered reduced spring kits, trimmed the ejector springs as recommended, and they both feed fine. Still get a little 'mark' on the case heads from the ejector not seating 100% flush with the bolt face--you can definitely see the ejector shape in the brass--but I can live with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top