Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2016 6:02:47 PM EDT
A while back I refinished the wood on my 92 and when I went to reassemble it the barrel band screw proved to be a royal PITA to get back in.  Ended up lightly tapping on the screwdriver handle as I turned it and managed to get it to go.  Unfortunately just as I finished snugging it up the screw head broke.  As in, one whole half of the head came off.  If I were ever wanting to take it apart again is there any solution?  I don't think they make a small enough easy-out.  Any ideas?  BTW it doesn't seem to affect anything as is.  Shoots just as well as before.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact Rossi customer service. You may have to pay for a new band and screw and you may not. I know of people recently buying a new screw and band though through Rossi C.S.. I Am sure there is a trick I don't know to remove the screw shank from the band though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Post a pic, and Ill see if I can add anything. Have snapped off more screw heads than most. Have my own technique for getting out such screws, but not sure in your situation if it would work.
If your unable to back the screw out, think you would be able to break off the rest of the head, and slide the band off?

If/when you get the screw out - scrape the threads of the new screw w/ candle wax. Should help
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Had same problem trying to get screw started. Didn't break off the screw head but I did bugger up the screw head. Must be a common issue. I wasn't happy about it but decided in is only a range rifle and knock around gun so WTH!
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]
After disassembling my Rossi last night, I'm wondering if there's a allen/torx-head hardware kit for these anywhere? Slotted head screws are a pain in the ass, and the slightest mistake mars the finish. It's not a show gun by any means, but I'd rather not have buggered-up screws.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Post a pic, and Ill see if I can add anything. Have snapped off more screw heads than most. Have my own technique for getting out such screws, but not sure in your situation if it would work.

If your unable to back the screw out, think you would be able to break off the rest of the head, and slide the band off?

If/when you get the screw out - scrape the threads of the new screw w/ candle wax. Should help
View Quote

Can't post pics right now but the head is recessed into the band.  It's like the entire half of the slot is gone.  Guess I won't worry about it unless I need to take it apart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top