Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2016 8:59:39 PM EDT
I got in on the Walmart $299 sale for the Marlin 1895.  45-70 and have put a little over 100 rds through it. Some were 300gr cast over unique and trail boss. Today I shot the standard 405 gr loads. I maxed the elevation out with the leaf sights and it shoots ok at 50 yds with the 300's but way low at 100. The 405's even maxed out elevation are way low at even 50yds I would say by a foot at least. I called Marlin and they said send it in and they would look at it. I hate to do that if it's a common problem though...

Has anyone else had this problem? Will a taller elevator for the rear sight fix it or do I have a drooped barrel?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You could also shorten the front sight.  In combination with the rear elevation it might get you on target.

I have a Springfield P9 with the same problem. It is fortunate that the front needs shortened rather than trying to find a taller front sight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a williams peep sight and stock front sight to solve this exact problem. The rear peep is centered in its adjustment range when shooting unique 405's for poa/poi. My unique 340's shoot with the same elevation adjustment BUT I need a 6 O'clock hold.

If you go this route, don't use the included williams fire sight front, I maxed out the rear and was still shooting a bit low... the shorter, stock front works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-Gun-Sight-Firesights-Marlin/dp/B0028MAU2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475810468&sr=8-1&keywords=williams+peep+sight

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The factory 405's are loaded to a specification to be safe in the old trapdoor springfields.
Using a Marlin level load will solve this readily.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same problem. How tall is your front sight insert?

When I got mine the insert was loose. Emailed them and got them to send a new front sight assembly-and got a taller insert. Had the same results as you did with my 405's. Emailed again asking for the correct sight and they wanted me to send the rifle in. Instead, I ground the front sight down to about what the original, lower sight was. Lost the brass bead, but white paint works for visibility too. Shoots right where I want it to now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The factory 405's are loaded to a specification to be safe in the old trapdoor springfields.
Using a Marlin level load will solve this readily.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
This is where I would normally give you a hard time for buying a new sort of Marlin .

For the price you paid it is certainly worth your while to swap out the sights to get your load zeroed in .

Now when comparing the trap door level 405 lead load to the heavy Marlin level loads the trap door load looks a bit wimpy but remember that it more or less wiped out the American bison.
Not a horrible load
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a formula to compute front sight height. I don't remember where I found it, but it works great. Maybe inquire at Brownells.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is a formula to compute front sight height. I don't remember where I found it, but it works great. Maybe inquire at Brownells.
View Quote

This formula can be found on skinners web page in the technical section.
Or:
        OR...  Figure it yourself with the following equation.

When you are unable to adjust the rear sight to work for your rifle because the rifle shoots high you will need a taller front sight. To eliminate the guesswork, you can calculate the additional height needed using the procedure below.
1. Shoot your rifle at a known range (say 50 yards). Note the distance you need the impact to change (say 6 inches lower).
2. Measure the sight radius of your rifle (22 inches on most Marlins).
3. The change needed is calculated by changing all measurements to inches then multiply the sight radius by the desired change in impact and divide that product by the range in inches.
4. The result is the additional height needed for the front sight. To get the height of the new front sight add the current height and the calculated number from (3).
Example:
I need to shoot 6 inches lower at 50 yards with my 1894, 44 Mag. With a 22 inch sight radius. My current front sight is .350” tall from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.
50 yards = 50X36=1800 inches
Desired height change is = 22 (sight radius)X6 (desired change)/1800(range)=.073 inches. My new front sight needs to be .350+.073 or .423 inches

Posted without permission, if this is against some rule let me know and I will edit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is where I would normally give you a hard time for buying a new sort of Marlin .

For the price you paid it is certainly worth your while to swap out the sights to get your load zeroed in .

Now when comparing the trap door level 405 lead load to the heavy Marlin level loads the trap door load looks a bit wimpy but remember that it more or less wiped out the American bison.
Not a horrible load
View Quote

The 45/70 came out in 1873.  The buffalo were well on their way towards extinction (the only thing that saved them was a loss of market for their hides).  Most were killed with large caliber single shot rifles, many of percussion persuasion.

The 45/70 was really designed to shoot horses.   Kill a horse and the man goes down, often with injuries.  Even if uninjured, a cavalry soldiers was often much closer to the enemy lines (sometimes behind them) than their own and thus easier to capture or kill.

Military planners of that age weren't bothered by PETA like folks telling them it was unkind and cruel to shoot a poor innocent horse.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Assuming everything else is OK with the rifle, I would remove the rear sight and put a sight slot blank in it and install a Williams FP-336 receiver sight.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Any luck getting yours fixed? My wally special has the same issue. I added a Williams rear peep and was still low with the stock front. Decided to go with scout scope and ran out of up adjustment.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any luck getting yours fixed? My wally special has the same issue. I added a Williams rear peep and was still low with the stock front. Decided to go with scout scope and ran out of up adjustment.
View Quote

Yes if you call marlin and give them the serial they can tell you what sight came on the rifle and send you the correct one. Mine had the wrong one on it. The one they sent me fixed the issue but I have since added a XS lever rail so I ended up taking the stock sights off
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
That's not good for me. I went that route and am still too low. I added a scout rail with a vortex scout scope and am still 5 inches low at 50 with the scope maxed out. Guess I'll see how well Marlin CS works.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you shooting from a bench and a forearm rest?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Bag on forend, offhand, bench, you name it. 6-7 inches low with stock buckhorns maxed at 50. 2" low at 50 with williams 336 peep rear and stock front. Can't get higher than 4-5" low with scope maxed out on the high side. 300 or 405 factory loads not that much different.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bag on forend, offhand, bench, you name it. 6-7 inches low with stock buckhorns maxed at 50. 2" low at 50 with williams 336 peep rear and stock front. Can't get higher than 4-5" low with scope maxed out on the high side. 300 or 405 factory loads not that much different.
View Quote

Put a level on the receiver and see if the barrel is installed into the receiver straight, or at a downward angle.

My brother had a  Marlin .308mx that had the Barrel installed on an angle pointing down and would shoot extremely low.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I asked about the rest and bench because I had an odd situation with a ruger #1.  I was working with cast bullets (around 400 gr, I don't recall exactly) and IMR 3031 powder.   I was shooting groups from a rest with charge levels walking up from light loads (30 some odd grains of 3031) to heavy loads (over 50 grains IIRC).   As expected there was a a noticeable difference in the groups position on the paper as the loads increased.

What was odd was the hotter the loads got, the lower the group dropped.   I had two standard rifle targets set up at 100yds, one was directly above the other one.  I was holding on the black of the upper target.  The lightest loads were in the black, the hottest loads were in the black - on the bottom target.  

I believe what was happening was that with increased recoil it was driving my shoulder back and up.  More recoil, more back and more up.  

It was a head scratcher though.   Nice thing about the #1 is that bore sighting is easy.  the low power loads printed where they were supposed to per the boresighting.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine is doing the same thing. Am going to put a old Leupold 2-7 scope on it and see if that helps...
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#19]
My first 1895 Guide Gun(first year they came out)shot way low. I couldn't get myself to put an optic on it so I used a Skinner rear and that gave me enough adjustment to get it sighted in.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Good to hear others are having this issue and it's not just me. I added a rear peep sight and I was still shooting low with the adjustment maxed out. I had one of the Walmart clearance 3x9 Nikon scopes laying around so I picked up a mount and threw that on it. Hopefully I can get it out today or tomorrow and try that out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#21]
The issue is usually caused by the large velocity range possible.  You might shoot a 44spl going 800fps or a 44mag going 1600.  The faster bullet is in the barrel for much less time than the slower bullet is.  The slower bullet hits higher because the muzzle has recoiled higher when the slower Bullet leaves the barrel.  Try slower ammo and your poi will likely shift higher.  

If they put sights good for fast ammo then people would complain about slow ammo hitting too high.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Put a level on the receiver and see if the barrel is installed into the receiver straight, or at a downward angle.

My brother had a  Marlin .308mx that had the Barrel installed on an angle pointing down and would shoot extremely low.
View Quote

It doesn't work like that.  The sights are on the barrel.  If the barrel tilts down, so do the sights.  They shoot low because the front sight is too tall.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It doesn't work like that.  The sights are on the barrel.  If the barrel tilts down, so do the sights.  They shoot low because the front sight is too tall.
View Quote

Never mind, forgot I'd given the info earlier
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Called Marlin CS and they wanted me to send it in. Sent me a link for a call tag while on still on the phone. Boxed it up, clicked the link and UPS showed with a label the next day. Should be in Ilion today. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Called Marlin CS and they wanted me to send it in. Sent me a link for a call tag while on still on the phone. Boxed it up, clicked the link and UPS showed with a label the next day. Should be in Ilion today. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
View Quote

Got a call from Marlin today and they say it can't be repaired. Sending a new one to my FFL.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Mulf, did they say what was wrong with it? It seems like they're hiding something.
I wonder if the barrels are bent or fitter wrong on the receiver.
Please keeps us informed on the second rifle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mulf, did they say what was wrong with it? It seems like they're hiding something.
Please keeps us informed on the second rifle.
View Quote

Nope, got the call from NC and had shipped to NY. All she had was 'unable to repair' and wanted to get a FFL for shipping the replacement. I'll post after getting it back and have run a few rounds though it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I hope it works out for you brother..
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it's truly unrepairable I'd say bad receiver, maybe crooked threads. beyond that anything on the gun can br repaired at a lower cost than replacing the whole thing.

Good luck OP, when you get a working gun enjoy it-I know I do!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Got the new rifle in and it shoots like it should. Couple of rounds with the irons and it's a couple of bumps up to be good at 50. Mounted a scout scope and it's right in the middle of adjustments. Glad Marlin made it right. Guess it's a $279 dollar gun now. $249 plus an extra box of shells. Still hard to beat as 45-70 is one of the few rifle cartridges we can use on deer in Ohio.

Called once to check on shipping and the gal mentioned something about the receiver. Guessing it had issues there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#31]
My GBL shot low, I changed my sights to the XS sights and they were great, adjusted my peep and had no problems. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top