Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2016 3:25:07 PM EDT
Ok, hoping someone can help out here with a project. My boss is retiring the end of the year. In my 32 years, he's the best guy I've ever worked for. My crew wants to get him something special as a gift, and he saw a rifle that one of the guys owns(inherited from his father, so he ain't parting with it) and wants one really bad; a 336 in 44 mag. They made very few of them, I've only seen two, ever. Is it possible to build one from a 336 and parts?
I've searched Numerich, no barrels. I feel pretty certain if I could source a barrel and a mag tube the rest would be easy. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about converting but there is one on Gunbroker right now that is at $690 with one day left to bid, it has a vintage Lyman scope on it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as he knows that are pretty rare to get one that functions well.

I was lusting after the same thing for a long time. I just could not find reviews that put it above "marginal" from anyone who didn't drop hundreds of dollars into them to get them to feed and cycle reliably.

Good luck. I hope you find the unicorn.

P.S. There is a reason Marlin dropped them and went with the 1894 in .44mag  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Is he a gun guy and he knows the story about the 336 44 mag ? Or does he just want a 44 levergun and your friends 336 just looked like a cool gun in 44 mag to him ?

If he just wants a 44 levergun the 1894 is way better then the 336 from what I've read.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys, thanks for chiming in! I saw the one on gunbroker, and pondered it with my coworkers. That's still up in the air. We may just go the way of the 1894 as an easy alternative. I don't think he'd care either way. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a new manufacture 1894 that I bought myself last year for my 50th birthday, I had wanted one for years. It's great and everything I hoped it would be. It would make a fine gift.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top