Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2016 4:28:12 PM EDT
I bought the rifle just for the hybrid because it was small, light, inexpensive, and I don't care if I scratch it while hunting.  It is 16in 44 mag.  

Finally got to shoot it today on the Rossi and a 9mm sig 226.  It's big and heavy on a pistol but sounds OK.  
On the rifle it's amazing though.  Full power 44mag is more than quiet enough to hunt with and not need earplugs.  

I tried some pmc 44spl ammo that was subsonic and it was very quiet.  
I tried some subsonic ammo I loaded with 180-300gr bullets and various powders and it sounded like a silenced 22 pistol.
Standing 10-20 ft off to the side it sounds like a red Ryder.  

I'm pretty tickled, it's better than I thought it'd be with handloaded Ammo.

I'm thinking about cutting the barrel to about 10-12 inch and making a "cup" thing so that it is shorter with the hybrid installed but not sbr.  Anybody done that?

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice to see.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I'm not understanding, how are you going to cut the barrel down and it not be a sbr?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I would leave the rifle as is and buy one of the Rossie Lever pistols and get that barrel threaded up proper.

This allows you the best of both worlds, but  if you want to go SBR - I would add a full stock to the pistol version vrs cutting down the rifle version, but thats me being lazy.

I been Jonesing for a Rossie 92 in 357mag for quite some time, but all my funds are tied up in other projects for the time being.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I'm not understanding, how are you going to cut the barrel down and it not be a sbr?
View Quote

I believe he is looking to cut and thread the barrel and weld on a barrel extension tube that the silencer can fit inside. So the whole package is 16"

See Tacsol SBX  for an image.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes like the tacsol barrels.  Fringe benefit is the hybrid is big enough that the tube could snugly fit a golf ball.  So you'd have a golf ball shooter and only have to load 44 blanks to power it!  

I'm curious if taking 1/4 of the barrel length away will make a noticeable increase in sound?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top