Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2016 12:26:18 PM EDT
Looking at suppressing a R92 in 357/38. I plan to only run factory ammo, probably FMJ 158s to keep the can as clean as possible. Is the 1:30 twist on the Rossi fast enough to stabilize the heavier 38spl rounds? I don't plan to reload anytime soon, nor do I plan to shoot anything above 200gr, but 158gr is a requirement.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot 38s in mine alot and don't notice any instability.

Real low powered 148gr wadcutters shoot great and so do 158gr swc.

158gr swchp +p go supersonic in my rifle. I have no chrono but there is a definite crack.  

I'm planning on suppressing my Rossi as well.  

I don't shoot alot of paper with my Rossi   so I don't know groups but soda cans at 50yds and 2L bottles at 100 are no problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shoot 38s in mine alot and don't notice any instability.

Real low powered 148gr wadcutters shoot great and so do 158gr swc.

158gr swchp +p go supersonic in my rifle. I have no chrono but there is a definite crack.  

I'm planning on suppressing my Rossi as well.  

I don't shoot alot of paper with my Rossi   so I don't know groups but soda cans at 50yds and 2L bottles at 100 are no problem.
View Quote

Just remember that some faster handloads would require a gas check in a carbine length barrel.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I handload for both of my Rossis using 158grn bullets exclusively.  I have both a 20" carbine and 24" rifle and shoot them a lot; the rifle out as far as 300yds at steel plates.  With full power H110 powder loads producing over 1800fps, I have excellent accuracy.  As an example, I can hit an 8" steel plate with ease at 200yds, a 6" plate at 150yds, and a 4" plate at 100yds using my 24" rifle with a .042" target aperture on my Marbles tang and thin post on my Lyman globe front sight setup.  With a 30" sight radius on the rifle, this setup is ideal for long range.

Further, some friends of mine have some Rossi rifles and load 180grn bullets in theirs with good accuracy as well.  Based on that, I'm guessing that the twist rate is not an issue for those bullet weights.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to know, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top